300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Radiator cracked!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 01:07 PM

Radiator cracked!

How hard is it to change the radiator on a 91 NA? I just found a craked in th plastic top of mine?
Old 12-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Jack Of All Trades

It's one of the very first things you remove when doing the 60k maintenance. ie: relatively easy. Here's what I remember.......

Get the front of the car up on jackstands.

Remove radiator cap

Remove lower splash shield under the car. iirc 6 screws
............... (the 2nd shield back from the very front)

Drain radiator. If the petcock screw is tight, spray with wd-40.

Disconnect PTU harness zip tied to upper hose.

Remove radiator hoses. If they're stuck to the radiator, slide a screwdriver in
between the hose and the plastic tube, then spray wd-40 into the gap and slide screwdriver radially around the hose.

Disconnect the overflow hose from the radiator neck. Follow it over to the side of the radiator and disconnect there too.

Remove the two screws holding the clamps to the top of the radiator.

If N/A, lift the radiator out.
If TT, you have to disconnect the fan shroud from the radiator first. iirc, you can lift the radiator up a ways to disconnect the shroud. It was kind of a bear to get off. EDIT: The shroud removal difference might not be a N/A - TT issue as much as a 90 vs 93 issue. All I know is that my 93 didn't need the shroud removed, but two of the 90 TT's did need it removed.

After lifting the radiator out, keep tabs on the rubber grommets at the bottom of the radiator. They may either be stuck to the radiator or in their pockets on the radiator support.

If you have an auto tranny, it should be the same except you'll have to disconnect the tranny cooler lines from the radiator too.

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 12-04-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:00 PM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
It's one of the very first things you remove when doing the 60k maintenance. ie: relatively easy. Here's what I remember.......

Get the front of the car up on jackstands.

Remove radiator cap

Remove lower splash shield under the car. iirc 6 screws
............... (the 2nd shield back from the very front)

Drain radiator. If the petcock screw is tight, spray with wd-40.

Disconnect PTU harness zip tied to upper hose.

Remove radiator hoses. If they're stuck to the radiator, slide a screwdriver in
between the hose and the plastic tube, then spray wd-40 into the gap and slide screwdriver radially around the hose.

Disconnect the overflow hose from the radiator neck. Follow it over to the side of the radiator and disconnect there too.

Remove the two screws holding the clamps to the top of the radiator.

If N/A, lift the radiator out.
If TT, you have to disconnect the fan shroud from the radiator first. iirc, you can lift the radiator up a ways to disconnect the shroud. It was kind of a bear to get off. EDIT: The shroud removal difference might not be a N/A - TT issue as much as a 90 vs 93 issue. All I know is that my 93 didn't need the shroud removed, but two of the 90 TT's did need it removed.

After lifting the radiator out, keep tabs on the rubber grommets at the bottom of the radiator. They may either be stuck to the radiator or in their pockets on the radiator support.

If you have an auto tranny, it should be the same except you'll have to disconnect the tranny cooler lines from the radiator too.
well, I would post some help...but I think CC's got it covered
Old 12-04-2005, 03:50 PM

Thanks guys I'll be doing it this week.