300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Question about '96 300z NA Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 11:25 PM

Question about '96 300z NA Exhaust

Hello all!

New to the boards here, and pretty new to Z's. I have a friend who got me hooked and I am looking at getting a '96 300zx NA 2+0.

Before I make my purchase, I wanted to ask people who are more informed than I am. When I look at exhaust systems for the Z, most, including GReddy, show exhaust systems for 1990-1995, and exclude the '96. This goes for Turbo and non-turbo. Am I going to be unable to get a good exhaust for this year, or do they just exclude it from the list because there are so few out there?

Basically, will something like a GReddy EVO 2 be compatible with the '96? Any thoughts? Thank you!
Old 12-17-2004, 11:58 PM
Banned

A cat back system will work I believe

96 marked the implementation of OBD II.

I'd get an earlier model Z if it was me, simply because they have slightly more power (with OBDII Nissan got rid of VTC) and also they are easier to modify.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:58 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

Ditto on what evan said.

Also check out the Link Page for all the possible info you could digest.

Enjoy and welcome.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:56 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Also, from the earlier cars to the '96, they gained around 300 pounds in weight. That's rather significant for a 220 +/- h.p. motor. :burnout:
Old 12-18-2004, 07:03 AM
Southern Speedster

Ah, again, a thread that I can respond to with confidence.

I have a '96 and love it. If you get one, be prepared to be someone, er, different. I have found very few pockets of '96-specific wisdom, and much of my understanding has come through trial and error. (I'll pontificate later if you actually get yours.) I bought mine to have a car that would easily pass emissions - or at least be able to warn me that it won't. It does that well. Again, I can elaborate on OBDII if you get yours.

To specifically address the EXHAUST QUESTION... Yes, the '96 is DIFFERENT from all other years. Nissan chose to reverse the output flanges of the catalytic converters, causing "other" cat backs to NOT fit.

You will need to replace the cats as well to get non-96 cat backs to fit. BUT then you run into the fact that OBD-II cats need FOUR bungs for O2 sensors. Either way you go, it's custom all the way, baby!

Let me know if you get it ...
Old 12-18-2004, 07:25 AM
Dan's the Man

Great info Lightspeed. Very informative (and I don't own a '96).
Old 12-18-2004, 08:34 AM
Southern Speedster

Originally Posted by lightspeed
Either way you go, it's custom all the way, baby!
Actually you can bolt after market mufflers to the stock h-pipe, but the result is VERY loud on an NA. Catbacks typically include both the h-pipe and the mufflers, hence the problem I described below.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:50 AM

Hmm- I like loud, but not THAT loud.

I've learned that custom usually equals more expensive... and more hassle. The car looks to be in great condition. If I do end up getting it, I will get a full diag run on it to see how it looks. The body is in excellent condition. Here's a link:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=12

Ok, so, other than the exhaust, there's not a whole ton that won't go on as normal, right? hehe. You've all been a great help so far, thank you.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:56 AM
Southern Speedster

Originally Posted by SolidSnake
Ok, so, other than the exhaust, there's not a whole ton that won't go on as normal, right? hehe. You've all been a great help so far, thank you.
* he smiles broadly *

SolidSnake, be prepared for lots to be "same, but just a bit different." The ECU upgrade options are limited (only on and that is not all that good), there are about 50% more sensors, the exhaust it different, the car is heavier and slower than most (you will continually be reminded of that when you ask performance-related questions), Data logging software doesn't work, etc, etc, etc. Again, I got precisely what I was looking for, which in the end differs from most Z drivers. Mine is really a unicorn, in that I have a 2+2 as well.

I have done a good bit of work to mine, and getting parts has for the most part been a snap. Pop charger, headers, underdrive pulleys, one-piece drive shaft, ceramic pads, short shift kit, flywheels, racing clutch - they all bolted right up. The exhaust has been a real chore. But given the number of postings on that topic, I am not alone.

Almost 90k miles for a 96 is on the border, mine has only 65k - low mileage ones do exist. I am concerned that the price it so low. Most 96's that are cream puffs command prices between 13k-18k. Drive it and let it really warm up. Then drive it some more. Watch that it idles smoothly when hot, and that there are no hesitations or studders in the mid rpms (2000-3500). Those kind of problems can drive you nuts chasing down, and ones that will most quickly solicite the "oh, yours is a 96?!?, ahhh...." comments. :-)

BTW - Welcome. This is a great board. The advice/comments are typically very good. Warning - say something stupid and "they guys" will rag on you! (I've learned the hard way!)
Old 12-18-2004, 09:04 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Warning - say something stupid and "they guys" will rag on you! (I've learned the hard way!)
not always
At least I don't try to
Old 12-18-2004, 09:25 PM

Man... well I have my work cut out for me.

NA's don't have PSI meters do they? When I went and looked at the car, it had one. Mean anything special? Should I be on the lookout even more? /shrug. Goin' in on Monday and expecting to give it a thorough workout to see how it runs! Thanks for the tips Lightspeed. I'm sure I'll ask some stupid questions. Rag away! How else do ya learn? =)
Old 12-18-2004, 09:57 PM
Banned

They have an oil pressure guage (Located under tach)...

But not a boost pressure (Located under speedo)
Old 12-19-2004, 05:11 AM
Southern Speedster

Rag away! How else do ya learn? =)
You're a brave soul. Though it's not me you need to be watching for! =)

Ditto Evan, no PSI guage on my NA, but a oil pressure that looks a sort like one.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:13 AM
Southern Speedster

[QUOTE=SolidSnake]
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...or=&cardist=12
QUOTE]

BTW - this car is advertized with a "tilt wheel". Uh... the Z didn't have tilt.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:30 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Maybe do a Carfax to make sure. And ive seen lower miles for less $$$ (just cause i drive a z 31 doesnt mean Im not looking )
Old 12-19-2004, 08:54 AM
Gold Member

Yeah, that does seem like a rather high price to pay for the mileage, non-turbo, and color! Even though it's the rarest year, for that price, you can shop around and find a slightly older (but lower mileage) TWIN TURBO Z. I did, and it turned out great for me!
Old 12-19-2004, 08:22 PM

Lightspeed...you said the exhaust has been a real pain because the flange bolts are reversed. Couldn't you just have someone cut the flanges off, turn them, then reweld them? I personally couldn't do it, but any muffler should be able to do it for cheap. Just my .02.

A saw that Stillen sells an ECU upgrade for the '96 now. It is of course JWT, but it's better than nothing.

I have heard many people say, Avoid the '96 because of the OBD-II", but I don't know why the ODB II is so bad.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:02 PM

Is that really such a high price? Take a look at all of the Z's in 98166 zip code on autotrader.com Maybe it's just a bad time to try to find one. Most of the mileage is higher than the '96. I'm also concerned about 2 things with the TT: Upkeep, and insurance.

I'd love to have a TT, but I don't think I'd have the money to try and replace the turbos if they went out. Most of the turbos have fairly high mileage.

What do you guys think about this one:

http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/vd...or=&cardist=16

Last edited by SolidSnake; 12-19-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:56 AM
Southern Speedster

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
...saw that Stillen sells an ECU upgrade for the '96 now. It is of course JWT...
I got my ECU upgrade through Z1 who got it through Stillen who got it through Jet, (I know I paid 4 shipping charges!) all the while assuring me that it was the only one available. when I call JWT, they assured me they were NOT working on a '96. I would gladly upgrade to a JWT if they had one. I'll check it out... thanks!!!

...I have heard many people say, Avoid the '96 because of the OBD-II", but I don't know why the ODB II is so bad...
OBDII is just different...LOTS more sensors. I got it to ease my emmission inspections...that it does well, because all I have to do is present a clear error register to their computer. "That's 'not a problem' sire...'" (I am working through the kinks on the Nissan Data Scan and then I'll have Consult-port access to the readouts. Should have some updates in a month or so.)

Last edited by lightspeed; 12-20-2004 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:01 AM
Southern Speedster

Is that really such a high price?
That is your decision! :-D
Old 12-20-2004, 08:54 AM

That is your decision! :-D

LOL well yeah! But from everything I'm seeing out there, it doesn't look very highly priced. Most of the models are even higher mileage than that! I'm going to test drive the '96 today with a friend who has a '91 NA. I'll let you know how that goes, and if I can go down on the price at all. I still wish the exhaust wasn't such a problem... although I have seen my friend struggle with his '91 to try to pass emissions with his GReddy Evo
Old 12-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Southern Speedster

I doubt that the exhaust system has anything to do with his ability to pass emissions.... keep us posted!
Old 12-20-2004, 10:26 AM

I doubt that the exhaust system has anything to do with his ability to pass emissions.... keep us posted!
From the cats-back, the exhaust system will have virtually no effect on emissions. The problem is definitely something else.

As far as that chip goes,...I had no idea that Stillen sold the Jet ECU for the '96. The '90-'95 ecu upgradessold by Stillen is JWT. I don't know how the Jet prgram is on the Z, but I've read that the one they make for my truck is garbage.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Southern Speedster

I don't know how the Jet prgram is on the Z, but I've read that the one they make for my truck is garbage.
That's my point. Bring up the Jet, and it would seem that you are talking in an anechoic chamber. Bring up the Ashtech and you'll have an active thread!

Actually I'm not all that disappointed with the Jet. They just adjusted the fuel and timing maps when the computer goes open loop. When I upgrade my exhaust I'll let you know what I get out of the engine. Right now I am running just above stock, but with a couple of other mods.