300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

please help!!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 PM

please help!!

i have just started a 300zx tt project that i just bought. i need help with some electrical problems. when i got the car it had no battery. so i popped in a optima battery and tried to turn on the stereo, roll down the windows, and turn the headlights on. non of this worked. the interior dome light worked and the check engine light and battery light turned on and that is about it. also with the headlights off the engine oil pressure goes all the way up and than makes a ticking sound and jumps a little bit with this little led thats next to it. i think it has something to do with the alarm system but im not sure. also there is alot of disconnected connectors and wires that i dont know where they go to. so if anyone has a go site that has a layout or good 3d pictures or something that would be great. than i have to install the radiator and alot of turbo piping. the shifter has to be hooked up to the tranny. and i have to put in a brake master cylinder and i was told this is somehow connected to the clutch having no pressure. any help any can give will be greatly appreciated. im not sure where to start on this project especially since the car never came together. ive only seen it taken apart. so i dont know exactly how to put it all together.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

no offense, but regardless of any help we give, that car is going to end up at a shop...
Old 03-13-2009, 12:29 PM

sounds like a nice project car good luck with it!

http://www.300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi
here's a online service manual it should be helpful it has wiring diagrams for electrical.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
no offense, but regardless of any help we give, that car is going to end up at a shop...
why do you say that?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:53 PM

here is the car

here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails please help!!-0310091732.jpg   please help!!-0313091236.jpg   please help!!-0313091237a.jpg  
Old 03-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

To put something like that back together, one needs to have decently intimate knowledge of the Z32. And if one has decently intimate knowledge of the Z32, they wouldn't be asking for pictures of where everything goes. Not trying to be a dick, but this isn't a Civic or old muscle car where you can look at the engine bay and know what everything does and where it goes.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Pr0n Addict

agreed^^. it's hard to explain where each connector goes. you might be able to find it from the diagram though if you are willing to take your time. also, before you start it, make sure you check that all the grounds are in place. some grounds missing can cause damage, and if all those connectors are off, you might have some grounds off too.

shifter hook up is pretty easy. remove the ds and exhaust to make it very easy.

the clutch system and the brake master don't have anything to do with each other as far as i know... i've had each of them go out and neither has affected the other. if your clutch has no pressure, it needs to be bled. if you bleed it very well and still get no pressure, then the problem is one of your cylinders (master or slave). it's hard to tell which one unless one of them is leaking.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:17 PM

well while everything is apart you should start with some timing covers and not to discourage you this is probably a $500 job doing it very cheap just for the engine bay. and you should listen to zlover he knows what he's talking about. if you don't know what your doing it's better to just send it to a shop so it gets done right the FIRST time.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:20 PM

Did someone spray paint those rims?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Pr0n Addict

how else are you supposed to paint wheels*?

Last edited by KasbeKZ; 03-13-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:00 PM

crayola markers!!
Old 03-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Tough Guy

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
To put something like that back together, one needs to have decently intimate knowledge of the Z32. And if one has decently intimate knowledge of the Z32, they wouldn't be asking for pictures of where everything goes. Not trying to be a dick, but this isn't a Civic or old muscle car where you can look at the engine bay and know what everything does and where it goes.
Ridiculously true.

But good luck.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by 300zgearhead
Did someone spray paint those rims?
yes i do believe the last owner spray painted the stock rims black.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:20 PM

well thanks for the help that i did receive. you know i would send it in to a shop if i had the money. about how much would it cost if i only left the electrical and small misc stuff for a shop to do. but i really dont think i can afford to send it in at all. the military pay isnt that good and i think i can figure most stuff out on my own. im deffenetly gonna use the diagrams and i got a buddy that has a 300zx and im gonna find other z owners and see if they will help me. i really dont think that i have to much to do. i hooked up 2 grounds and now the windows, locks, lights, radio, and most all of the electrical system work. the front blinkers, front wipers, and headlights dont work but i think for the headlights its just because they were burnt. tommorow im gonna hook up the radiator and turbo pipes hopefully. than im gonna try and jack up the car a little and hook up the shifter , wires to the starter, and drive shaft. than hopefull it'll start up. after i put new oil and filter in of course.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:50 PM

unless you want to chance buying a new engine i think it's a pretty good advice to get all the timing covers.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 300zgearhead
unless you want to chance buying a new engine i think it's a pretty good advice to get all the timing covers.
i think i probably will i found a good pair on ebay.

i got another question for fellow z lovers. has anyone ever tried to get sponsored by car custom shops, or parts companies. because i was thinking with this type of car and all the potential every car has and how great they look that they would have a much better chance of getting sponsored than say a civic or a neon or something.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Sponsorships are a waste of time. They only pay a tiny percentage of certain mods and they expect you to do a whole lot for even that.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:48 PM

Shops are more likely to sponser Civics and Neons because they're expected to do the work for free. Work than is really really easy to do with parts already made to fit on them. Would you work on someone elses Z for free?
Old 03-14-2009, 07:26 PM

if i knew enough about z's to b able to work on it easily. i would surely help out a friend with a z to get it running.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by devildogzx7r
yes i do believe the last owner spray painted the stock rims black.
That should have been indicator #1 that this car had been raped by a rice-boy and you never should have bought it. I can't even imagine the messed up crap you're going to find when you start pulling that poor thing apart.

In my honest opinion, get it running or at least looking straight and resell it, then buy a differant Z to learn from.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:35 AM

If you want a pair of wheels to replace the ricer rims i have a pair that i could sell for pretty cheap if you want to look at some pics of them just search "set of z32 wheels"

Originally Posted by Comorat2x2
That should have been indicator #1 that this car had been raped by a rice-boy and you never should have bought it. I can't even imagine the messed up crap you're going to find when you start pulling that poor thing apart.

In my honest opinion, get it running or at least looking straight and resell it, then buy a differant Z to learn from.
Yeah so? it WAS owned by a ricer why should he have to go through the trouble of selling and buying a new z just because someone screwed up the car ... in my opinion the car looks great once he gets new wheels and fixs it up some he'll have a respectable z32 as long as the inside isn't torn apart.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:01 PM

i think i can live the the wheels for now. but thanks tho. i just really want to get it running first. than i wanna change out the front bumper to a body kit one. especially because its messed up on the drivers side corner. i found a shop that i plan on taking the car to once i get all the parts a need from another z32 i found in a junkyard near me. im thinking for what i need them to do it'll cost me around 300 maybe 400 max because i think its only gonna be like 3-4 hours and i have all parts. i just need them to put in the radiator spot weld it and just hook up some random hoses/pipes and some electrical. i can do the driveshaft, exhaust, and shifter-tranny by myself. does anyone think thats a bad estimate or can come up with a better round about one for me.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm a Registered User!

I may be nuts but I think the wheels are just fine. I don't see a reason for him to worry about those (if he chooses to not like them) until he gets the car actually running.
Good luck, you've got a lot of work on your hands!

P.S. Why was the car so apart? What were they trying to do to it before they realized they were in over their head?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:10 PM
F5 Hero

devil dog, fill out your profile. Are you at lejeune or pendleton? or 29 palms? If your at lejeune or pendleton I can put you in contact with someone who can help you.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by SpeciallySpiked
I may be nuts but I think the wheels are just fine. I don't see a reason for him to worry about those (if he chooses to not like them) until he gets the car actually running.
Good luck, you've got a lot of work on your hands!

P.S. Why was the car so apart? What were they trying to do to it before they realized they were in over their head?
well the car was originally n/a. and they started a jdm tt swap. and i dont know they just never completed it. almost all the work is done for me though. i dont understand why the guy sold it to me. but hey his lose is my gain.

Search this Thread