300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

ongoing issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 09:54 AM

ongoing issues

Guys i havent posted lately well because i havent had my car.. its been having constant issues, first off the clutch was slipping, so i replaced it, within 2 weeks the new clutch is slipping agian... and it's not from poor driving. Also my steering wheel seems to be slipping, alignment is good but say i take a sharp right turn the car with be going strait and the steering wheel will be almost 90degrees off from being strait, but as soon as i make a left turn it kinda straitens out. lets see, o, also when i start my car occasionally it will have an awfull sounding and running sputter above probably 1.5k and will work it self out in about 30 seconds. If anyone has responces to any / all of these problems plz let me know , i just want my baby to run right!

thanks guys,
chris
Old 07-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

clutch slave cylinder, more than likely u need a new one. Good time to upgrade the hydralic line to splparts new one.
Steering, check fluid levels.
Check the lines for improper attachment and for leaks, cracks, damage, loose conncections, chafing or deterioration.
1. Run engine at idle speed or 1,000 rpm.
Make sure temperature of fluid in oil tank rises to 60 to 80 'C
(140 to 176 'F)
2. Turn steering wheel right-to-left several times.
3. Hold steering wheel at each "lock" position for five seconds
and carefully check for fluid leakage.
CAUTION
Do not hold the steering wheel in a locked position for more than
15 seconds.
4. If fluid leakage at connectors is noticed, loosen flare nut and
then retighten.
Do not overtighten connector as this can damage O-ring, washer and connector
Old 07-06-2004, 08:04 PM

wish it would be simple stuff like that, slave and master are literally about 1 week old, and were properly installed and have the proper fluid levels. this rough start thing is only soon as i start the car after it has been sitting alittle bit, it reaks of gasoline smell, my guess is for some reason or another its not burning it. We have had a few problems with the computer in the past, aka the a/c leads for the condensor fan would not respond correctly (mechanic friend found another set of leads that function just as the originals did off the computer) could this be the source of alot of my issues, it could be that my clutch isnt slipping its just the cars acting up and i have the jerky sensation... but when i rev it up in neutral it runs smooth as silk, so i wouldn't understand why it would be doing that. Sorry if this post was alittle long and confusing i just really want to put an end to all this stupid stuff wrong with my z, so i can drive it with no worries agian once you have a Z others cars just seem lame... I'm sure you know what i mean

thanks,
chris
Old 07-07-2004, 02:47 AM

Did you install the clutch yourself or did you have someone else do it. If ya did it yourself, than pull her down have have a look, if you had someone else do it bring it to them and ask them wtf is going on. If someone else did it, they might have mess'd up somewhere. Give em call if so.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:14 AM

Clutch was installed by my Dad's personal friend who is a big time mechanic for the city, I don't think it was installed wrong it's just wierd that I am having these issues with it, Could my pressure plate be bad? i haven't really thought about that but If it would have looked like it needed replacing he would have told me, not sure... any suggestions help guys thanks for input

BTW, I don't know if any of you followed my custom front panel or not... but I took a pic of it completed for anyone who cares. I'll attach it (you can read and see more in the appearance section under air scoop)

Last edited by MetalTear17; 07-09-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by MetalTear17
Clutch was installed by my Dad's personal friend who is a big time mechanic for the city, I don't think it was installed wrong it's just wierd that I am having these issues with it, Could my pressure plate be bad? i haven't really thought about that but If it would have looked like it needed replacing he would have told me, not sure... any suggestions help guys thanks for input

BTW, I don't know if any of you followed my custom front panel or not... but I took a pic of it completed for anyone who cares. I'll attach it (you can read and see more in the appearance section under air scoop)
On the clutch, Did you get a new pressure plate, clutch disc, throw-out bearing and pilot bushing? If not, it was done wrong. Was the flywheel resurfaced? If not, it was done wrong. Was there any oil in the bell housing or on the flywheel? That is a sign of a bad rear main seal.

You should ask your dad's friend these questions.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:11 PM

The rear seal was replaced while the clutch was being done, and the flywheel was resurfaced. I dont think a new pressure plate was put in though.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:13 PM

Bingo! I think we found the problem. Slap your dad's friend for me. The clutch installation is definitely something you don't want to penny-pinch on. I have a new favorite quote that can be applied here......

"If you don't have time to do it right, then when will you have time to do it over? Do it once and do it right."
Old 07-09-2004, 04:02 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by MetalTear17
The rear seal was replaced while the clutch was being done, and the flywheel was resurfaced. I dont think a new pressure plate was put in though.
It's not uncommon for the pressure plate to wear out before the disc, especially in a sports car. It's not that they wear down wear out, it's that the springs lose their tension from a lot of heat cycles. It's also the most expensive part of a clutch job, next to having to replace the flywheel.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:28 PM

I asked my dad tonight, I think our mechanic actually did do a pressure plate turns out, who knows I am goiing out of town for 6 days and we are leaving it with him... anything he has to do to fix it now is on him... I only hope he fixes it before I get back.

Btw, no one on this forum happens to be the Z driver I talked to today in charleston, sc ? Doubtfull but I figured I'd ask, Guy was nice had a 90 pearl white n/a but with a nice clean aftermarked spoiler and a tastefull exaust, I love z drivers ! alright its late night all