300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

no spark please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Banned

no spark please help

hi i puting my motor back together and i tryed starting ti it started for a second realy rough i was checking to making sure the harrnesses where in the right spot i think the right side o2 sensor plug and that coil pack plug i got mixed up i took the coil pack out(number 1) and put a plug in and i took crank angle senor out and spun the wheel to see if it sparked and ikt didnt what would this be that would cause it not to spark?
Old 12-03-2005, 03:40 PM

It's really difficult to figure out what you're trying to say. Try using some commas and a few periods here and there. The coil packs are 3 wire plugs whereas the O2 sensors are 2 wire plugs, so you likely didn't mix those up. If you are re-using the old harness, I'm assuming you didn't label everything before you took it apart? If so, then that'll make it a bit more difficult.

I believe that the ignition needs to be on to conduct the test you tried. Was the ignition on? How are you checking for spark i.e., what are you using to determine whether or not there's a spark?
Old 12-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
It's really difficult to figure out what you're trying to say. Try using some commas and a few periods here and there. The coil packs are 3 wire plugs whereas the O2 sensors are 2 wire plugs, so you likely didn't mix those up. If you are re-using the old harness, I'm assuming you didn't label everything before you took it apart? If so, then that'll make it a bit more difficult.

I believe that the ignition needs to be on to conduct the test you tried. Was the ignition on? How are you checking for spark i.e., what are you using to determine whether or not there's a spark?
ok what i did was take out crank angle sensor and took out coil pack

1,then followed by puting a spark plug in the end of coil pack, then

grounded the spark plug and spun the crank angel sensor spindle, then

what i did is tryed every coil pack wire with the same coil pack that i took

out, so my next guess was the transitor pack harness being dirty any

part of it, so i cleaned all the harnessses everything was working before

so i feel everything is good,unless something shorted, but how would i

check? i dont no what to do this my first time taking a fuel injection motor

apart so its a bit differnt ovously and my O2 senor i thought had 3 wires

a white,red,black with that fire sleeve on it, it was the coil pack on the

back right that i got mixed up, so i looked at manual the exhuest sensor

said it was the harness with black white and black.blue

Last edited by Boosted Z; 12-03-2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Jack Of All Trades

You didn't answer his question........ did you have the battery connected and the ignition key in the "on" position when you tried the spark test?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
You didn't answer his question........ did you have the battery connected and the ignition key in the "on" position when you tried the spark test?
yes and the injectors cliked also
Old 12-03-2005, 04:13 PM

Grounding a spark plug in the daylight can be very difficult to see. If I were you, I'd put everything together and let her rip.

You do have the PTU connected, right? Make sure you clean those connections very well. They have a tendency to be problematic. That could be why you're not getting spark.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Banned

Grounding a spark plug in the daylight can be very difficult to see. If I were you, I'd put everything together and let her rip.

You do have the PTU connected, right? Make sure you clean those connections very well. They have a tendency to be problematic. That could be why you're not getting spark.
what a ptu? i did i sat i tryedstarting it for hours playing with it i got confused also with dentnation sensor harness and vtc gears ,there both 2 wire,i tryed switching th harnesses annd reseting the comp i dont no no what to do

Last edited by Boosted Z; 12-03-2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:53 PM
confuzed member

PTU=power transistor unit. It should be on the front timing cover on the left side. Or if it's been relocated, it's most likely next to the intake. It looks like either a silver box with a heat sink on it or a black plastic large connector. Teh heat sink one is recalled adn it needs to be replaced.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Banned

why would the ptu go bad if my car ran before i took it apart so change the ptu how bout the coil packs? are there anything else that is apart of ignition system besides spark plugs,coil packs,and PTU?
Old 12-04-2005, 07:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by emo236
PTU=power transistor unit. It should be on the front timing cover on the left side. Or if it's been relocated, it's most likely next to the intake. It looks like either a silver box with a heat sink on it or a black plastic large connector. Teh heat sink one is recalled adn it needs to be replaced.
well i have the plastic one so i ges thats not a recall ,so how can i test the ptu to see if its doing what its saposed to,the motor started once but it was making wierd noises and it was realy rough could that have messed the motor up i dont have moeny to pay people to fix it so i took a shot at playing with the motor,iv always fix my trans and flyy wheel all the other sdtuff but i never took the ppleum off before, so i ges its time to learn how to make it work again but i want to fix it so i dont have to pay any one , so what else could make the engine get no spark? i tested the coil packs with ohm meter they all read the same( asuming that means there good)
Old 12-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Banned

i tested the ptu for continuity nothing at all so im replacing it, ehat is the firing order of the pistons front front left to back then right side front to back?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:53 PM

Don't just randomly change you're connections. Find out what is the knock sensor, VTC, O2 etc. and plug it into the right place. Don't half *** it because you'll f*ck something up if you haven't already.