300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

need help ASAP on shifter please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:05 PM

need help ASAP on shifter please.

okay so i finnally got around to swapping the transmission in my Z32TT everything went smoothly until...

i cant figure out how to put my damn shifter on lmfao!

when swapping the transmission i opened the top plate and pounded both the roll pins out and stuck the new linkage in, i couldnt remeber which way the lever thats attached by a roll pin was stting so it may be upside down but i highly doubt this, the only thing i changed was the rod thats dirrectly connected to the shifter. so it shouldnt matter if its upside down or not... right?

the problem im having is the shifter is to far to my driver side (RHD). i turned the swivel on the bottom 180 degrees and still to far to the right side!!! its like the shifter is on tottaly wrong, also the one side were it connects to the shifter the rod isnt straight, it is kinda angled.

im not sure WTF happened lol but its driving me nuts, the easiest part and its messed up lmfao. i can barely get it into 5th and reverse i have to pull towards me very hard, im thinking about trimming a small notch so i can get it in easier, but thats mickey mouse haha.

so any insight or ideas are very much appreciated as i am tottaly out of ideas. thanks!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:36 PM

any ideas haha?
Old 10-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

post pics
Old 10-30-2009, 02:57 AM

okay ill see if i can use my buddies camera but the best i can explain it is the shift rod, (the rod on the outside of the transmission ) is angled a small amount rather than being straight and the shifter is all the way to the right, like my 1st gear is were my 3rd should be lol. 4th is were reverse should be, its that off.

i flip the end that the shifter connects to the shift rod 180 degrees and it makes it even worse!
Old 10-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Did you compare this transmission to the original one before installing to see if the linkage was damaged?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:11 AM

yes i did. i didnt notice anything to major, the rod was the same length ect. the onlydifference being there was no u joint, they bent the ("U") to get the linkage out which is the reason why i swapped, everything looked like it matched up but i didnt do any measuring.
i think i messed up big time lol, i was thinking of it being the ebay short sifter, but im pretty sure the u-joints should be sitting square and not at an angle correct?