300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 08:11 PM

Need help!!!

I'm in the middle of changing my clutch.. I am an amateur and this is the first time I've ever tried anything this difficult on a car before. I was putting the the new pilot bushing in and dented it so the transmission isn't going to fit back into it also when trying to reassemble the new throw out bearing I bent that also. What is the best way to accomplish these two things without breaking them. I was using a hammer rapped around a towel a whole bunch of times obviously that didn't work. Also I'm nervous breaking out the pilot bushing again with a chisel. Any better ways of doing that. Also where can I buy both parts in a hurry. Thanks guys!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:42 AM
El Viejo

They make a pilot bearing puller and also have pilot bearing drifts to install them. I suggest you check with Pep Boys or some other parts house and see if you can rent them.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:01 AM

A neat lil trick to gettin the pilot bushin out that a buddy of mine showed me on his Chevy Pick up..and I used it on my twin turbo for u skeptics.

Find a bolt with the outer diameter that just barely fits inside the bushings..as snug as possibly without gettin stuck. Now take ALOT of bearing grease and pack the hole. Once packed..take the bolt i mentioned and place into the bushing essential packing the bushing. Hit the bolt into the bushing until it bottoms out. Keep packing the bushing with grease..and eventually it will slip out of the hole and onto the bolt. What you are doing by this is you are forcing grease around the sides of the bushings and making it break loose.
The only things is you HAVE TO CLEAN the spot where the bushing goes very good. These bushings are made out of a type material that makes its own lubrication. Grease may damage the bushing..but nothing a lil brake cleaner and a rage wont cure.

As for the drift...Use that same bolt I mentioned ( cleaned of course)..and thread a nut on there with a decent size washer between it and the bushing. Now just tape the bolt and the bushing should go right in. But make sure you are doin this perpendicular to the back of the motor.

On the of the best hints I can give you..bein an 18 year old who has already pulled trannys outta of a Z32. TAKE YOUR TIME...bc there is always time to pull it again if you mess something up! LOL.. good luck buddy