300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

N/A or TT z?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 06:36 PM

N/A or TT z?

Hello im new to the here and had a question for you all. I currently have a '80 280zx with 48k miles and want to buy a 300zx. I dont know whether to go with the N/A of TT version. Im planing on doing some performance mods in the future too. Also what kind of gas economy can i expect with these two cars thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 08:09 PM

Either is honsetly fine, I have a n/a which i plan on doing a swap with, so i willl have the TT engine. Stock TT's have hellacious insurance, and i don't know about your insurance company but my n/a's insurance is bad enough. The TT does suck more gas, but alot of that is from how you drive it, with reasonable driving and laying off the pedal you will get respectable gas mileage in either. TT does have a few things that I am not in love with, for instance HICAS... the 4 wheel active steering system that is in all stock TT z32 z's I don't know anyone (exuse me if i am wrong) that would want to have the HICAS over not having it... All in all there both awesome pieces of machinary, and where I live (charleston, sc) its rare enough to see one that all the heads turn when you drive them down the streets. 300zx is a highly respected car, you won't be dissapointed.
chris
Old 07-06-2004, 10:06 PM

shoot, I'm insuring two cars @ $130 a month. Anyway, I'd get the TT. You can do more with it. I regret not getting one. However, I'm going to buy one, then I'll use my N/A as a daily driver while I mod the hell out of the TT.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:51 AM

The TT is much more fun. I've had mine for over 5 years. Yes, insurance is more than the N/A, but worth it IMHO. On average, I get 18 MPG give or take. If it's all freeway driving, then I get 20-22 MPG. A TT is much more MOD friendly, meaning you get much more bang for your buck. Yes, HICAS can be a down side. You don't really notice it, but it adds weight. I believe they '96 got rid of HICAS, but the engine is slightly de-tuned compared to '90-'95. An N/A to TT swap is expensive and should only be done if/when you know what your doing, or you know someone who knows what they're doing. N/A differential is better on launch, but will sacrifice top speed. you'll be happy with either purchase.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:44 PM
confuzed member

I agree with all the above. Check out both. I had a TT . They're Awesome cars. I have yet to ride in a car that's comparable to my TT. However, The swap isn't too bad. It's not too expensive. Get a TT front clip, make sure..check and double check and triplle check to make sure you have everything. It might even be a fun project. However, it will put you car down for at least a month...and that's if you're working on it A LOT. it's a big project, but not crazy. I mean, it does fit in there without major modification. Or if you have the money, you can get it done. if you do the swap, you'll have cheaper insurance, a fast car, money in your pocket (being that TT's are getting expensive these days), possibly a low mileage motor, depending on how you do it, and you can have variations. For instance, a convertible TT (forget low insurance on this one). Check out both. The NA is fun, but you'll ride in a TT and want boost.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:19 PM

Hey thanks for all of your help. Ill take your advice into consideration when i find a good car.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:55 AM

It's a little harder to find a TT, but no matter what your still gonna love the car. I bought my Z about 2 years ago, and I can't stop loving it. I bought the car at about 17, and I didn't know too much about anything with cars, and now I'm happy that i bought a N/A cause i probably would have gotten myself into a lot more trouble with a TT. But, I picked my 93' up for a steal. Still happy that i did. never had a better car, and I've ownd 3. Doesn't seem like but, for the age it is a bit. No matter if you get a TT or a N/A your still gonna love it, and that's why this website is here.