300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Mod updates

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 09:54 AM
caught the z fever

alright jody! glad to hear its finally running almost perfect. i wish i could be there to get a ride in it.

once youre done with everything, post some new pics of it, and the dyno results.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:53 PM

It's a huge rush. I'm sure it'll take a few months of driving it before I drive it normally again. I've gotten so used to driving the Z71 that driving the TT is like driving a rocket ship.

It'll do it at pretty much any RPM and at any speed, so I don't think it's turbulence in the MAF. I've gotten it to do it at as slow as 10 MPH, and up to 80 MPH. It doesn't get any worse at higher speeds.

I swapped out the TPS and that wasn't it. MAF, O2 sensors? I don't know. I have a friend up here with an N/A. The MAF is easy enough to swap out. I'll see if he'll let me swap them.

Zlover...you got any ideas?

Last edited by 91zxtt; 01-30-2007 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
It's a huge rush. I'm sure it'll take a few months of driving it before I drive it normally again. I've gotten so used to driving the Z71 that driving the TT is like driving a rocket ship.

It'll do it at pretty much any RPM and at any speed, so I don't think it's turbulence in the MAF. I've gotten it to do it at as slow as 10 MPH, and up to 80 MPH. It doesn't get any worse at higher speeds.

I swapped out the TPS and that wasn't it. MAF, O2 sensors? I don't know. I have a friend up here with an N/A. The MAF is easy enough to swap out. I'll see if he'll let me swap them.

Bardabe...you got any ideas?
CAS.

msglngth
Old 02-05-2007, 07:51 PM

The CAS is what I replaced to fix the other problem. It did this same thing with the CAS I had before. It runs really well under load or hard acceleration. It doesn't like to be at or near coasting. There are two different problems that I thought were related....as it turns out, they aren't.

On a positive note....I took it to a smog shop last Friday to have them give me a read out. It runs clean...real clean. Before I began this project, hydrocarbons were over 300. The test last week showed them down around 60 ppm. I was an appt with a smog referee to give the final ok on Thursday.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:40 AM
Jack Of All Trades

It runs really well under load or hard acceleration. It doesn't like to be at or near coasting.
You might still try putting some tape on the side of your air filter that faces the front of the car. I wasn't insinuating that the MAF was the problem, but air turbulence in the MAF might be. Although you virtually have a new motor, have you tried cleaning the AAC valve and components? I had on-throttle / off-throttle lag and popping before I cleaned mine.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
You might still try putting some tape on the side of your air filter that faces the front of the car. I wasn't insinuating that the MAF was the problem, but air turbulence in the MAF might be. Although you virtually have a new motor, have you tried cleaning the AAC valve and components? I had on-throttle / off-throttle lag and popping before I cleaned mine.

All of that stuff was cleaned within the last 1000 miles. I'll try the tape idea.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Bad Speller

All of that stuff was cleaned within the last 1000 miles. I'll try the tape idea.
oh yeah.... damnt eh simplest thing. I had a similar problem with teh SR when I had my MAF too close to the Turbo the turbulance messed witht eh signal but fo rme it was kinda worse car didn;t even want ot idle good. so I got a pipe extended and I still had the same problem (DAMN JWT filter) got an Apexi Filter and it solved the problem. so yeah my 2cents.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:01 PM

Well, it's been raining here all week, so I haven't driven since I won't drive it in the rain. I had to reschedule my appointment with the smog referee because of the weather. I have an appointment set for Tuesday. Wish me luck.

I was finally able to get around to installing the rear adjustable upper control arms today. It was quite a bit eaqsier than I expected. Also installed the rear strut bar, and bled the brakes with new synthetic fluid.

After I installed the rear strut bar, I moved on to bleeding the brakes. As I was jacking up the front end, I couldn't figure out why it was so hard to lift the car. I had the jack positioned beneath the passenger side frame rail just behind the wheek. I thought something was wrong, but when I looked to the back of the car, I noticed that the rear wheel was off the ground too. I can't believe the strut bar would make that much of a difference in the overall rigidity. I'm anxious to drive it again.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:00 PM
caught the z fever

I'm anxious to drive it again.

wish i could get a ride
Old 02-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Bad Speller

Well, it's been raining here all week, so I haven't driven since I won't drive it in the rain. I had to reschedule my appointment with the smog referee because of the weather. I have an appointment set for Tuesday. Wish me luck.

I was finally able to get around to installing the rear adjustable upper control arms today. It was quite a bit eaqsier than I expected. Also installed the rear strut bar, and bled the brakes with new synthetic fluid.

After I installed the rear strut bar, I moved on to bleeding the brakes. As I was jacking up the front end, I couldn't figure out why it was so hard to lift the car. I had the jack positioned beneath the passenger side frame rail just behind the wheek. I thought something was wrong, but when I looked to the back of the car, I noticed that the rear wheel was off the ground too. I can't believe the strut bar would make that much of a difference in the overall rigidity. I'm anxious to drive it again.
wait till you get the thicker sway bars, coilovers, and new suspension bushing all arround. then where talking a big big diference. but yeah nice work. ha ha not drive in the rain u ***** your Z32 like I ***** my S13. =]
Old 02-11-2007, 02:24 PM

I installed the sway bars a while ago. I'm not installing coilovers...I went with Tokico Illumina 5 ways and Eibach pro springs. Those were installed about 2 years ago.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:52 PM

The problem I'm having feels like the car is running lean.

A thought....for those of you familiar with the DOOZ set up....could the problem I'm describing be caused by the 'dummy' maf having the screen removed and the working MAF still having the screen in place? It is my understanding that the ECU for the DOOLZ is re-programmed so that signal from the MAF is cut in half; which would allow it to meter twice the air. It also works off of the assumption that the air coming in through the dummy is the same amount as that comind in through the working MAF. If the screen is gone, then more air would come in through the dummy side...the non-metered side. This would cause a lean condition, right? This may be a stretch, but I think it makes sense.

Anyone else buying this?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Bad Speller

A thought....for those of you familiar with the DOOZ set up....could the problem I'm describing be caused by the 'dummy' maf having the screen removed and the working MAF still having the screen in place? It is my understanding that the ECU for the DOOLZ is re-programmed so that signal from the MAF is cut in half; which would allow it to meter twice the air. It also works off of the assumption that the air coming in through the dummy is the same amount as that comind in through the working MAF. If the screen is gone, then more air would come in through the dummy side...the non-metered side. This would cause a lean condition, right? This may be a stretch, but I think it makes sense.

Anyone else buying this?
you are half right I researched this already. the doolz set up is esentially the Same program as the GTR runs. 2 MAF signals it adds them up and avareges the number. the screen should not be a diference since its only there to protect the maf from foreign objects. in case u happen to not have a filter, filter falls off etc etc. I would say get a wide band, and check timing or try to advance it 2.5 degrees. U'll be surpriced how big of a diference it will make. but non the less get a wide band and see your AFR's if possible get an SAFC-II to fine tune ECU, tunes are not always dead nuts on. and possibly the reason you might be running a little lean. it can also be fuel pressure, make sure maf is conected in all the way, double check your solfering, check all the clamps and couplers make sure they are not loose. let us know what happens.

or you can always try switching MAF's and see if that little screen is making a diference. (if it is you should run rich / stoich)
Old 02-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Remove the dual intake and see if the problem goes away.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Banned

Anyone else buying this?
i have the doolz i had the smae problem on the highway. my source for the problem was teh air hiting the filter i bought those stupid tornado things withc i dont care if it makes power but it helped air flow to the MAS and stoped the stumbling and i didnt have to worry about the air hitting the filter and messing it up i noticed it ran leaner in my car when i didnt have them in place to direct the air flow like it was flowing differnt on one side then the other making it rear less or more air depending on withc side was flowing more. i have the plx r 500 if you are wondering how i new if i was lean or rich

Last edited by Boosted Z; 02-12-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:38 PM

Bard- I think you're mistaken on how the DOOLZ works. There is only 1 MAF signal. There is only 1 plug. There's aren't 2 signals to average. It only meters 1 side. The 2nd MAF is a dummy; i.e. there is nothing that plugs into it.

Everything I have read in regards to the Z1/ASH ecu is to set the timing at 15 degrees BTDC. Never more than that. Advancing the timing beyond 15 increases the likelihood of detonation. I'm not willing to risk that.

Ray-that's an interesting idea. I have difficult time buying a 'gimic'; which is what the tornado is, but if it works than it may be worth a shot. Where did you install it? What's weird is that it doesn't seem to matter what speed I'm traveling at. Was your's as bad at 80 MPH as it is at 10 MPH, cause mine doesn't seem to care how fast I'm going. It tends to be the worst when I'm running it between 7 and 10 lbs of vacuum.

CC-thanks....you're a big help.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Bad Speller

Bard- I think you're mistaken on how the DOOLZ works. There is only 1 MAF signal. There is only 1 plug. There's aren't 2 signals to average. It only meters 1 side. The 2nd MAF is a dummy; i.e. there is nothing that plugs into it.

Everything I have read in regards to the Z1/ASH ecu is to set the timing at 15 degrees BTDC. Never more than that. Advancing the timing beyond 15 increases the likelihood of detonation. I'm not willing to risk that.
ooi that wow. Dummy maf. re-looked it up. (guess ive been spending too much time researching the RB program) well since taking it off is not an option (thank you ecu reflash) i would say check your vacum lines you might have missed one. (O_o) you never know. sometimes we make noobish mistakes... other than that I would think the dummy maf might be caca or something. ..... ionos not big help sorry. >__< guah need to get a Z again!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:32 AM

Well f*ck....took it to the smog referee today. Failed emmissions and visual. CO was within range, but just barely on both the idle and 2500 RPM test.

Comparing it to the test from two years ago it looks like this.
gross polluter = 270
AT Idle CO2 O2 Hydrocarbons (max = 120ppm) CO% (max = 1%)
2004 10.4% 6.1% 497 .55%
2007 13.6% 1.2% 228 .87%

AT 2500 max = 140 ppm max = 1%
2004 11.1% 5.5% 16 0%
2007 13.7% 1% 135 .97%

I can't begin to guess what might be causing this. Everything's new.

Does anyone know how the car with the DOOLZ intake would act if the ecu was not programmed for it? It would run really lean, right? Isn't high CO and high hydrocarbons indicators of a lean condition?

He failed me on the visual for not having the AIV's or the precats. I'm guessing I'm going to have put the stockers back on....what a bitch. I'm f*ckin pissed.

Last edited by 91zxtt; 02-14-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Bad Speller

Well f*ck....took it to the smog referee today. Failed emmissions and visual. CO was within range, but just barely on both the idle and 2500 RPM test.

Comparing it to the test from two years ago it looks like this.
gross polluter = 270
AT Idle CO2 O2 Hydrocarbons (max = 120ppm) CO% (max = 1%)
2004 10.4% 6.1% 497 .55%
2007 13.6% 1.2% 228 .87%

AT 2500 max = 140 ppm max = 1%
2004 11.1% 5.5% 16 0%
2007 13.7% 1% 135 .97%

I can't begin to guess what might be causing this. Everything's new.

Does anyone know how the car with the DOOLZ intake would act if the ecu was not programmed for it? It would run really lean, right? Isn't high CO and high hydrocarbons indicators of a lean condition?

He failed me on the visual for not having the AIV's or the precats. I'm guessing I'm going to have put the stockers back on....what a bitch. I'm f*ckin pissed.
iuf you really want ot stop worryign abotu smog. I havve a connect that can make your car Smog Exempt. legally 100% legit. and if u wanna go a step further he cna make you car exempt as well. its all legit and 100% true. (the reason i don;t worry about driving the S13 to school every day with the big *** fornt mount.) and yeah the ECU not being reflashed correctly might be a possibility. give it a shot run single Intake and see how it helps.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:03 PM

I e-mailed Greg down at Specialty Z. He said that they've only had 1 (now 2) people fail the visual inspection with the mid pipes and the down pipes. He said to take it somewhere else. I may have made a mistake by taking it to a smog referee; when all I needed to do was take it to a shop that is certififed to pass gross polluters. I'm not sure if the inspection is any different, but it's worth a shot.

He also said that I should adjust the timing back to 10 degreed BTDC. This will bring the hydrocarbons way down. Makes sense. I told him that this makes me feel that I'm just masking the problem. He responded by saying that my readouts are pretty typical for a Z32 TT with the downpipes and hi-flow cats. He said that most people with the hi-flow cats need to back the timing down to 10 degrees in order to pass smog.

Would've been nice to know that before today.

He also said that he has never seen a car pass smog with Random Technologies Cats. They always need to reinstall the OEM cats to pass. Interesting to know.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Banned

Ray-that's an interesting idea. I have difficult time buying a 'gimic'; which is what the tornado is, but if it works than it may be worth a shot. Where did you install it? What's weird is that it doesn't seem to matter what speed I'm traveling at. Was your's as bad at 80 MPH as it is at 10 MPH, cause mine doesn't seem to care how fast I'm going. It tends to be the worst when I'm running it between 7 and 10 lbs of vacuum.
well where your MAF's are you have couplers that are reducers, you have to put the doolz in a vise and on both sides with a center punch(very strong one) ND PUNCH 2 OR 4 indents and place them in the ends right after the MAF's, then contiue put back everthing normally and at high way speeds it did get worse but it also happened sometimes at low speeds, u might have a leak in the fuel injector o rings or and plenum to rail o rings i had that happen by accident when installing my 850cc injectors. that caused that problem along with the doolz, you might also have a bad vaccum leak on the engine some where who knows, there are so many lines. the injector leak maybe the reason for the failed smog. check in to it

Last edited by Boosted Z; 02-17-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:35 AM

I installed a screen to replace the one missing on the dummy maf....problem fixed. I can't believe that something as insignificant as a screen would have this large of an impact. Installing the screen has also solved the problem of the engine wanting to die when I would coast to a stop. The problems I was experiencing was due to a lean condition. Installing the screen seemed to have fattened it up just enough.

Fattening it up a but will improve the emissions readings, but I'm sure this won't get it to pass smog. Retarding the timing to 10 degrees and putting a few gallons of 87 octane in prior to the test should do the trick though.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Über User

87 octane???? ick.....
Old 02-18-2007, 10:55 AM

Probably shouldn't comment on what you don't understand.

87 octane burns cleaner than 91.

You should do a search and learn a bit more on the subject before posting again.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Banned

I installed a screen to replace the one missing on the dummy maf....problem fixed. I can't believe that something as insignificant as a screen would have this large of an impact. Installing the screen has also solved the problem of the engine wanting to die when I would coast to a stop. The problems I was experiencing was due to a lean condition. Installing the screen seemed to have fattened it up just enough.

Fattening it up a but will improve the emissions readings, but I'm sure this won't get it to pass smog. Retarding the timing to 10 degrees and putting a few gallons of 87 octane in prior to the test should do the trick though.
happy to hear you fixed your ride im glade you didnt have to spend 50 dollors on a gimic lol myabe when i get my build up you guys can come check it out i love opiouns, so have you dyno'ed that bad *** machine?

Quick Reply: Mod updates