300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Long Time No see, but Now theres a problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 07:31 PM

Long Time No see, but Now theres a problem

Hey guys if anyone remembers me,

Well, my car has been sitting in the garage for probably a good 3 months during the harsh chicago winters. I took her out a bout a week ago, and she was driving fine just the way she always has, until about 5 days later when I pulled out of my driveway and start to pull down the street and I started to feel a really noticeable shake. And as soon as it happend I thought "Driveshaft". Well get to the stop sign, and I revved my engine and it still shook, and even worse than while I was cruising down my street. As it idled it shook more. But it shakes less while im cruising. I think it might be that some condesation got on my plugs while it sat, causing one of the plugs to foul out. But what first came to mind was my fuel filter. I lifted my hood to realize it looks like its never been replaced, so i replaced it, threw in some fuel injector cleaner and let her run for about a half hour. The situation seemed to be getting better, but as I took it for a test drive down the road I found out i was wrong, she was still shaking just not as bad as before, but still very noticeable. And after about five minutes of driving it was right back to where it was. Now I changed the plugs probably about 8,000 or 9,000 miles ago so i find it hard to believe that one of my plugs fouled out. Maybe I'm wrong what do you guys think

-OrangeZ32
Old 03-08-2005, 02:06 AM
Southern Speedster

Any smoking or other symptoms? Can you describe the "shake" another way? Is it RPM or speed-related? Related to any attitude of the clutch or tranny?

Initial blush to me is that it sounds like a stuck injector. Have you ever tried a piece of software that would allow you to turn on and off the signal to each of the cylinders? (DataScan or Conzult?) Might help you localize a prob if it is specific to a given cylinder.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:31 PM

well its not speed related because he said it did it at a stop when he reved, so that eliminates the driveshaft and almost anything wheel or suspension related, although i would do a check on your injectors
Old 03-08-2005, 02:21 PM

Fuel, spark or air. One of those 3. Sounds like one cylinder is not firing. Probably an injector. Do the power balance test and find out which cylinder and go from there. Pretty easy to narrow down the problem.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:55 PM

Well, I've got fuel injector cleaner in there, my buddy told me it would take most of the tank for it to really get through the system, but I started at 3/4 of a tank and I'm at half now, and I dont think the injector cleaner was gonna do much of anything. I'm not getting any smoke, cause thats what i thought at first, but no smoke and I'm not getting any smell of gas from the exhaust. If i did it would mean a mis-fire. And I really dont want to have to tear apart my engine to get to my injectors. So, thats the last resort. If i have to I will but thats on the bottom of the list, I cleaned my air filter, I still need to replace the plugs(No Money ) So, as soon as friday comes around I'm going to get on that. But what is this talk of a power balance test, I dont think I follow. I truely think it's an injector but im crossing my fingers hoping its not.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:42 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

I dunno why but i keep thinking of electrical connections with your problem.
I'm thinking check the throttle position sensors, clean connections if need be.
Also, check the MAF. the connection, the wiring, the whole thing.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:25 PM

Your misfire theory isn't exactly true. I had a bum injector, but couldn't hear a misfire until after I installed my DP's and MP's. Even with the misfire, the exhaust did not smell rich. Bust out the ohm meter.