300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by justinmy300z
I looked at the jwt single pop and it is 100 bucks and is basically only the air filter cone. I found a set up from 'Bomz' that comes with everything including really nice looking chrome pipes and it is garunteed to fit perfectly...it is also only 100 bucks...any thoughts?
1. nothing titled "Bomz" should go on a 300ZX

2. read some of this thread, I get the opinion you just opened the page and clicked "respond" without reading any of what was discussed

3. if you would have read, you'd know that JWT isn't just a cone air filter

4. if you would have read, you'd know that JWT makes more power than any other aftermarket intake system for the 300ZX

5. chrome pipes don't add power
Old 02-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life

5. chrome pipes don't add power
Crap!!!! Now somebody tells me... Where were you BEFORE I spent my kids college money on that stuff???

Rod.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:11 PM

1. nothing titled "Bomz" should go on a 300ZX
</p>
Lol... normally I would agree except I must admit I bought one of their intakes off some1 I know who wrecked his car after buying it, so it was never installed and I got it for $10...

Its still sitting in my trunk tho
Old 02-07-2006, 04:20 PM
F5 Hero

:::sigh:::

it funnels air into the intake piping. If there is something to help the air flow into the tube, more air is going to flow through the tube. More air makes more power.

Not having the velocity stack would cause a slight increase in turbulence, which eats horsepower.
JWT filters are the best no doubt, but as far as 'velocity stack' goes. thats rediculous, the only thing that is going to make the air go faster through the tube is a fan, or more air being funneled through the filter in behind it to push it through. If you had a funnel that funnelled more air into the filter to push more air through, that would help. but as far as something to make it go faster through the tube... nope I don't believe so, but that is my opinion.... If I saw a scientific diagram of somesort, then I would believe.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by napoleonzheking
JWT filters are the best no doubt, but as far as 'velocity stack' goes. thats rediculous, the only thing that is going to make the air go faster through the tube is a fan, or more air being funneled through the filter in behind it to push it through. If you had a funnel that funnelled more air into the filter to push more air through, that would help. but as far as something to make it go faster through the tube... nope I don't believe so, but that is my opinion.... If I saw a scientific diagram of somesort, then I would believe.
aside from the funnel effect, which, trust me, does make a difference (I'm too lazy to find diagrams and all the info), there's also the fact that the velocity stack acts as an adapter for a larger intake. Try installing that huge JWT Pop Charger on an adapter that is the same size as the MAF.

In fact, Apex-i filters probably flow more air per square inch, but JWT Pop Chargers make more power partially because they have significantly more surface area.

since, as usual, people don't believe me just because it's me, I'll give you a more reputable source. Here is Greg Dupree explaining everything I've just explained...

http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...msg_id=1060529

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 02-07-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:45 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by napoleonzheking
i'm pretty sure it works kind of like a venturi.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by entropy31
i'm pretty sure it works kind of like a venturi.
Exactly!! Why didn't I think of that??
Old 02-07-2006, 05:24 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

it's the same basic idea as a jet engine. slow air sucked in, then compressed, then expelled at a higher velocity. jets use fuel to sustain this process, but the engine in your car acts as the pump for the stack. the stack is tapered to allow a gradual compression, unlike a restrictor plate that just changes the diameter immediately, slowing flow. this link explains it in more scientific detail.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:48 PM

Would much prefer a cold air intake system myself, the Z32 gets awfully hot in the engine bay.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:32 PM

thanks

Entropy31...thank you! you are the first person who actually explained something to me that made sense and answered my question in a non-biased manner.(that is rare)
Old 02-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by 260DET
Would much prefer a cold air intake system myself, the Z32 gets awfully hot in the engine bay.
...do you own a 300ZX? The intake isn't in the engine bay...
Old 02-07-2006, 10:26 PM
S13 or Z32?....decisions, decisions.

Originally Posted by 260DET

"cold" air intake doesn't mean it will cool anything down.....just means the filter is outside of the immediate engine bay so instead of taking in heated engine bay air, it takes "cold" or cooler air from like the wheel well, or behind the front bumper, doesnt do anything to the heat issue of the engine. (and what Zlover said, no point on our cars, the filter isnt even in the engine bay)

Also, cold air intakes are more prone to creating vapor lock in your engine from water on the roads, especially some of the honda ones that go straight down to the ground.......one big puddle + lowered car + cold air intake = your screwed.......REAL performance there.

Last edited by RPS13_GZ32; 02-07-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:36 AM

read

thanks for the input RPS, but you did not follow the log in order. My question about the the effectivness of the JWT (which was the core question) was answered by a description of 'flow' by Entropy. Meanwhile, you read bits and pieces of the thread and saw the "chrome pipe" part of my question and the "cold air intake" comment by 260DET thus concluding to your unsavy response. We know what a cold air intake does and that the factory box is not even in the engine "bay".
We want answers, feedback and educated discussion about our cars, not trash talking and childs play...who has the time?
I know alot about cars, but am just learning about this one, lets just try to share a common interest in piece huh.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:48 AM

nice

see guys, we created one of the longest threads yet!:.)
And to think, over one silly question!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:55 AM
S13 or Z32?....decisions, decisions.

I wasn't directing either of those posts at you, but if you think it was, sorry. Bomz is rice, bottom line, that goes for anyone who doesn't know, that was a general statement, not a directed insult. And the cold air intake thing was for 260DET. I love how you use "we", well let me tell YOU something, not EVERYONE knows what YOU know, maybe 260DET didn't know what the difference was, so I would leave the "we" stuff out of it. Sorry if you took it the wrong way, it wasn't directed at you.

P.S. The fact that science had to be brought into this discussion about a venturi suggests to me some people don't understand the concept of air intakes, ports, or anything else having to do w/ air movement within an engine, which is why I had sympathy for the guys having to describe it. Guess I can't do that either now...

I think this dispute can end right here.

EDIT: And you were so utterly offended by what I said, I removed the "unsavy" post.

--------------

Sorry if I come off as a *****, I just hate it when people try to tell me why I said what I said and make wrong assumptions about why I said it. I rarely blow up at people, but when someone does that, it gets my blood boiling. It’s just the ABCs of me. So next time I make a response, consider the fact that I DID read the entire thread, and I just chose to not respond to the initial question because the issue had already been addressed and discussed...

(also, the other forum I frequent is a really pretty immature, "swear all" - "talk trash" - "no rules" - type local street racer forum, so sometimes I come over here pumped up and pissed and just say some rude stuff to nice people, I'll try to leave it at the other forum, watch what I say, and only comment with informative answers. I don't intend to make enemies over online discussion topics.....its just more unwanted/unnecessary drama.)

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 02-08-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:47 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Entropy31...thank you! you are the first person who actually explained something to me that made sense and answered my question in a non-biased manner.(that is rare)
hey, no problem. just here to learn and teach.

see guys, we created one of the longest threads yet!:.)
not by a long shot. this is pretty short compared to some of the massive threads we have had here.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by RPS13_GZ32
I wasn't directing either of those posts at you, but if you think it was, sorry. Bomz is rice, bottom line, that goes for anyone who doesn't know, that was a general statement, not a directed insult. And the cold air intake thing was for 260DET. I love how you use "we", well let me tell YOU something, not EVERYONE knows what YOU know, maybe 260DET didn't know what the difference was, so I would leave the "we" stuff out of it. Sorry if you took it the wrong way, it wasn't directed at you.

P.S. The fact that science had to be brought into this discussion about a venturi suggests to me some people don't understand the concept of air intakes, ports, or anything else having to do w/ air movement within an engine, which is why I had sympathy for the guys having to describe it. Guess I can't do that either now...

I think this dispute can end right here.
damn right!
Old 02-08-2006, 12:16 PM

Lets not get ridiculous.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:00 PM
F5 Hero

spinning air is nothing like venturi, venturi would make sense. I had the idea that it just spun the air somehow.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:18 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

no, there is no spinning going on. just a venturi effect.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:51 PM

YOu want spinning air..go by one of those cheap 'ole TORNADO air guide things. LOL.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
YOu want spinning air..go by one of those cheap 'ole TORNADO air guide things. LOL.
damnit! you beat me to it!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:45 PM

Those things are the most ridiculous crock I've ever seen. "Here, buy this piece of twisted metal if you want to create lots of turbulence in your air intake." Realllll smartttttt.... But if ytou want twisted air, thats your product.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:46 PM

LOL...sorry ZLOVER. I saw that last post prior to mine and i was ok..i gotta say it. Has anyone even attempted to put those things on a Z?? And do they even make a kit for our cars?
Old 02-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
LOL...sorry ZLOVER. I saw that last post prior to mine and i was ok..i gotta say it. Has anyone even attempted to put those things on a Z?? And do they even make a kit for our cars?
"kit" no, but you'd have to buy two of the proper sizes.

Has anyone done it? Yes. When I worked at Ultimate Z, I had a customer call me and ask which spark plugs he should put in his NA. Since that's largely dependent on what mods you had, I asked him what he had done to his car. He told me he had performance mufflers and two of the tornado intake things. So I asked how those were working for him and he actually said he noticed a huge power increase and better fuel economy. I then explained that, based on the known laws of physics, that is not possible, and explained why, to which he responded with something like "...well, I noticed a difference..." Obviously he didn't buy spark plugs from me. Too bad, lost the sale.

Quick Reply: intake