300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

HELP!!!!! won't crankl

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 12:09 PM

HELP!!!!! won't crankl

my car won't crank. the key will turn and make that stauling sound, but it won't fire up. i was driving and noticed that no matter how far i pushed the gas down it wouldn't accelerate much. it slowly decreased in speed and rolled to a stop. it'd died and didn't crank back up. had to tow it home. the lights, radio, and all other electronics still work fine, so it's not the battery right? i think it's my alternator again.

HELP!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Jack Of All Trades

If all of the electronics work fine, it's probably not your battery / charging system. How about gas? Fuel pump? You might start checking your fuses and relays too.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:57 PM

damn... aint that some ****... I going threw the same problem... Tried getting the car home but it kept on dying on me... and then I got it towed home too... Doubt its your alternator... My problem was my fuel injector... might be the same for u... hope not...
Old 03-19-2005, 06:05 PM

By stalling sound do you mean a clicking sound at the starter? I take it that by not cranking you litterally mean not turning the motor at all. If so first volt check you battery. if showing around 11.0 then check the switch wire (small red wire) and alternator lead wire (big FAT wire) on the starter. Also make sure the starter is firmly mounted. If any of these connectors is loose then it will not even crank. If all of those are good and you have good power then you could have a bad starter, or starter relay. Is it a 5spd, could you try to push start it?
Old 03-20-2005, 12:52 AM

it's an automatic. please tell me where and how to check all the stuff u guys have mentioned. i'm not too knowledgable of engine parts and with the Z's engine bay so chock-full of engine it's kinda hard to see/find/get to things.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:00 AM

it has done the clicking sound u are talking about before. i had remove then retighten the battery positive cable. but now it makes the stauling sound like it wants to crank but just won't. something in/on the engine is moving when i try to crank it; so it's trying to crank.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:03 PM

If its real quiet and you first turn the key, can you a hear a hissing sound and a soft whine. That would be the fuel pump pressurizing the lines. It's not a perfect method but that would be the sign that the fuel pump is not working. Check you relays for the pump and fuel sytem. Also you can pull apart your fuel filter (big can on drivers fender) to check if it is clogged.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Jack Of All Trades

You might even try some of the basics like new battery cables. Cleaning all of the grounds to the engine and chassis. You might be getting 12 volts everywhere, but not enough amperage to run things.