300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 05:46 PM

Help

hey guys.... this is my first post i just got my z about a week ago... its a 1990 Twin Turbo.... one problem tho... i raced my friends RSX typs S and we were equal.. i know this is not right.... any ideas what it could be.... the kid before me put an aftermarket exhaust on it, that kills my power... its 2 flowmaster mufflers, w/ crimp bent 2 1/2 pipe all the way back... i know thats killing my power alot, but i dont think it should be this much... please help me make my Z run right, please... thanks - dan
Old 09-13-2004, 11:48 AM

1st thing would be to get rid of the crap exhaust setup. No way to tell how much it's cutting your power. How much boost are you running?
Old 09-13-2004, 12:01 PM

any chance hes just a better driver than you?
Old 09-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

well, what does he have done to the Acura? Those cars aren't slouches by anymeans. 200HP, close ratio tranny, less weight, and better off the line suspension geometry goes a long way.

As for your Z.....maybe it needs a checkup.....and a vitamin boost.
Easy fast cheap power, K&N filter or similar. Tuneup, check plugs, replace filters, change oil (synthetic preferably), lower your tire pressure slightly for when you decide you need to drag race, all these things can cheaply and easily make you faster. Having the car run optimally helps more than you'd think.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:42 PM

hey, his car is completly stock... i think its mainly my exhaust.... my otehr friend has a VR-4, so i let him race the RSX, he lost too... i figured it just might be me since i got the car a week or 2 ago..... i have to do an oil change, and a few other things, i have a JWT pop charger, i should take it out and check it..... thanks for the feedback tho guys.... ill do a tune up and get a new exhaust, and let u guys know.... anyone have a Specialty Z exhaust? i was looking into one of them, they look pretty nice. thanks again for the feedback -dan
Old 09-13-2004, 07:45 PM

oops, forgot to tell u guys about boost.... running stock boost, nothing special, i also have a stupid question.... i heard if the car hasent been running synthetic since its been on the road, its not good to change over.... i bought some Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic oil... so, i plan on putting that in otherwise, thanks again
Old 09-14-2004, 12:22 AM

Something is definately wrong, don't care what ya say. My N/A beats type S' all day. I'm having trouble believing your TT is having trouble beating it. How is the power during your "spirited turbo" drives. Cause, maybe your not runningthe amount of power you had thought you were. Cause my N/A isn't that fast, but still beat a Type S by a car. I'd start delving more into what a problem might be. Maybe it might be EXTREME exhaust problems, but damn a type S. I think you might want to look more into your problem, cause i dont have much more than exhaust and intake done to my car.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by tt dan
i also have a stupid question.... i heard if the car hasent been running synthetic since its been on the road, its not good to change over.... i bought some Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic oil... so, i plan on putting that in otherwise, thanks again
It's an old wives tale. You can switch. I switched when I bought my car with 80k on it. I have 150k+ now.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:33 AM

Oh, and as far as Specialty Z goes. You'll be happy with it. It looks better (in design and quality) than most of the aftermarket systems I've seen. Pickup a set of downpipes, midpipes and a catback system and you'll notice a huge difference. My car goes into the garage in 2 weeks to install downpipes & midpipes (among lots of other goodies ). I bought them from Specialty Z. Excellent quality IMO.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:23 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

The only other thing i can think of is that maybe you're stuck in safety boost.

http://www.ttzd.com/tech/diagnostictech.html
Go there to check how to read ECU codes and possible problems/solutions.

91, again, less talk, more pictures!
Old 09-14-2004, 07:25 PM

oh.... i jsut about something..... when i was putting in my 4 channel amp, i looked at my ECU.... part of it is unplugged, i didnt plug it back in, i meant to call teh guy i bought it from to see why it was like that..... could that have anything to do w/ it? its the plug on teh right side.... i dont know why it was undone, but i didnt plug it back in, i should try pluggin it in..... other than that, im gonna do the tune up..... and check out that site that u posted rizz.... i have a feeling its just something stupid.... thanks for all the help tho guys
Old 09-14-2004, 07:38 PM

.... forgot to say.... thans for the feedback about the specialty Z stuff.... i def plan on buying an exhaust from those guys..... the only problem is the $$$$... gotta save up.... Rizz.... i tried the website, but it popped up an error... thanks again guys
Old 09-15-2004, 12:36 AM

Synthetis

Hey ttdan,

I had two Supras before and I actually tried to switch over to synthetic and was unsuccesful. I began to burn oil. It was as if the oil was to too thin. I can't get into the specifics (not a mechanic), but thought I would let you know. if you do switch over, make sure to monitor it pretty closely to see if you are using oil.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by rizzspeed
91, again, less talk, more pictures!
I will, I will. Don't worry. Gimme a couple weeks. I plan on starting September 25th. Hopefully I'll be done by Mid October.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:12 AM
caught the z fever

Gimme a couple weeks. I plan on starting September 25th. Hopefully I'll be done by Mid October.
hopefully that wont turn out to be a statement like z_wrecker(no offense man)
Old 09-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

ttdan, that site works. I just checked it again. It still works.

Which part is disconnected? Maybe the previous owner only disconnected the factory alarm. Does your alarm light in the dash flash when you open the door and start the car? If not that might be it.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:00 PM

na, the LED doesnt flash... its probably the factory alarm..... i just tried the site agian, it let me in.... it was popping up an error the otehr day... oh well..... ill check that out at work tomorrow if i have any free time.... hopefully the install bay will be dead that would be the man.... thanks again guys
Old 09-16-2004, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by b300z
hopefully that wont turn out to be a statement like z_wrecker(no offense man)

None taken. You won't catch me sitting in my car in the garage pretending to drive it. You may not have been on thi site yet when we were poking fun at Wrecker. Since I have my truck, there's no rush to get it done except for just wanting to feel that much power. My work and life schedule will dictate hhow soon I can get it done. Worst case,...early November.