300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Had a problem + educated guess possibilities?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm Chillin

Had a problem + educated guess possibilities?

My swap is done, and my God the car is fast. But the car was taken out on several test drives me bing the last one, and on the way back to returning Twindragon to his car my clutch just lost all pedal. It basically went to the floor and when I pumped it furiously pressure would return but not back to perfect. Now on beginnign of the drive the clutch was firm and felt perfect and when driving after some hard runs, the clutch just instantly got soft, like Pop, no more clutch. I had to limp it back to the shop where he thinks is a clutch adjustment, as he never opened the lines from my previous engine, but did bleed it anyway. My educated guess is that there was air in the system somewhere and found its way to a point where the clutch system just let loose. I am thinking that the line or master cylinder over heated and maybe boiled causing this. Is this a possibility? I am using silicone Dot 5 fluid. Has anyone ever experienced this after a swap still using the n/a clutch hydraulic system? Thanks for your patients in reading this =0)
Old 06-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

If anything the clutch should just be stiffer than normal if you're not using the boosted TT clutch master cylinder. But generally a soft clutch pedal feel is air in the lines. A proper bleed should solve your problem provided there isn't a leak.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

The main part...
Originally Posted by Riz Z Speed
...provided there isn't a leak.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:40 PM
Bad Speller

it;s the slave cylinder. that happened to me once. and it sucked I had to be towed home. change teh slave cylinder . bleed the lines. and take it for another test drive.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:56 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by bardabe
it;s the slave cylinder. that happened to me once. and it sucked I had to be towed home. change teh slave cylinder . bleed the lines. and take it for another test drive.
While that is the most likely culprit as it is the most common, you cannot definatively say it's the slave cylinder. Not only could it have just been an air bubble in the system, but the master cylinder could be leaking or the clutch line itself could be leaking. If there is a leak, he needs to find where it's coming from for sure before making any repairs. Spending $28 on a slave cylinder when your master cylinder or clutch line is actually leaking is frustrating (I went through that last summer).
Old 06-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

2nd.
I had the clutch master cylinder leak on my car and the slave cylinder is just fine. Of course i didn't find this out until i decided to adjust my clutch and noticed the brake fluid all inside the cabin soaking into the carpet and rubber insulation near the pedal adjustment area.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:47 PM

Just my 2 cents and I can be wrong. But being that the did the TT swap he had to have change the clutch and the flywheel. And with that It's pretty common for the slave cylinder to act up also. Thats why they usually advise people to change them when doing the clutch.