300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Exhaust..

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:09 PM

Exhaust..

What do u think would be the diff in me gettin a racing exhaust and just ripping out my catalitic converters
Old 10-02-2007, 09:17 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by cake872
What do u think would be the diff in me gettin a racing exhaust and just ripping out my catalitic converters
what do you mean by "racing exhaust"?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:26 PM
Über User

5-10 hp.... and yeah whats race exhaust and is this a turbo?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:30 PM

Its an N/A and by racing exhaust (and forgive me if I used the wrong terminology) I mean as straight as u can get um pipes, stainless, no catilitic converters, just the straight up piping thats illegal and is only allowed on the tracks.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:54 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Its an N/A and by racing exhaust (and forgive me if I used the wrong terminology) I mean as straight as u can get um pipes, stainless, no catilitic converters, just the straight up piping thats illegal and is only allowed on the tracks.
maybe 10hp if thats all you do.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:55 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

maybe 10hp if thats all you do.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:22 PM

Headers? Is this something you would consider buying?

I'd do that, test-pipes and a dump tip on the end of 'em, for the ear bleed factor But honestly I've raced people( NA Z32's) with header, testpipes, and a catback and won. So... I don't know if you want to hear this, but it prob. won't help that much .
Plus I have a dirty JWT filter, and 1/2 my exhuast off lol. It sounds kinda like a watered down ferrari

Yes, I know Zlover, i'm stupid.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:52 PM

What do you drive and still is there a diff with me jus takin out my converters and buying aftermarket race pipes? And whats a dump tip?
Old 10-06-2007, 08:23 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

What do you drive and still is there a diff with me jus takin out my converters and buying aftermarket race pipes?
on an otherwise stock non-turbo, not enough of a difference that you'll ever notice. waste of time and money.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:44 AM

What do you drive and still is there a diff with me jus takin out my converters and buying aftermarket race pipes? And whats a dump tip?
95 NA, JWT filter, HKS ground kit, and a nismo shift **** ftw. lol

A "dump tip" is basically what it sounds like it is it a short J shaped exhaust tip
that most muscle cars have after their Flowmasters(that are in the middle of car). In your case they would come off a test pipe. I think you'd have to get them made though...
Old 10-07-2007, 09:48 PM

Ok well i guess i wont go thro the trouble right now. I do have a catback stillen exhaust thou. Sounds GREAT. forgive me if i spelt that wrong
Old 10-12-2007, 08:04 PM

I wouldnt gut out catz. I ran my car with out em. Its loud, umpleasently loud.
For street? daily driver?.. keep that catz
Old 10-12-2007, 08:08 PM

Get Headers, keep the catz. Get Aluminum One piece driveline. You feel diff, there. I know I felt it.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:32 PM

That sounds like a good idea. Because my car is already loud as hell as is. I cant fetch thro the neighbor hood without making noise so i wouldnt want to imagin it any louder. Thanks for advice. Im puttin together my upgrade list.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Pr0n Addict

so i'm planning on taking my cat-back off and getting it all patch welded up to get rid of the leaks. i was thinking of getting the guy to fab up a strait pipe from the stock manifolds to the union behind the cats. would this be ok, or would i loose too much back pressure? are the heat shields that run all down the pipes that important?
BTW, i know everyone will say this is a stupid and unnecessary idea to begin with, but my motivation comes from the fact that my cats are falling apart inside. i can hear them rattle, and i saw them when i did the carrier bearing. so i'm trying to just get rid of all that crap, and i don't need to pass smog tests. but it is for street use
Old 02-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Backpressure is often said to be a non-issue, so I say go for it (what you're talking about seems to be what we'd call "test pipes," which, depending on cost, you might be able to find somewhere else for less money). And heat shields are useless - I have none on my Z.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Pr0n Addict

i have a very good recource for welding, so i guess i'll get him to patch my back part up and fab up some test pipes. thanks for the advise. very helpful. but now i'm a bit confused... you said before that exhuast leaks would cause power loss, but now back-pressure is a non issue? how do they cause power loss then?
and you are saying that i would be fine with strait pipes all the way to my coffe can cheapo mufflers?
Old 02-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Exhaust leaks don't cause power loss due to backpressure loss, they cause it by creating additional turbulence in the system which restricts exhaust flow. The goal of a good-flowing exhaust is a smooth exhaust flow... leaks prevent that. Backpressure is more about exhaust gas velocity - more backpressure = higher gas velocity - and leaks will prevent that too, but there's been no proof of a backpressure requirement for engines. If there were, we'd see top fuel dragsters with longer exhaust pipes instead of tubes off the heads that simply get the exhaust away from the engine.

There are also some that say that leaks high-up in the exhaust system will allow cold air into the system between exhaust pulses which can do damage to the hotter components, but I'm not so sure I take any stock in that belief.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 02-10-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Pr0n Addict

ohhhhh. thanks a lot for the advise and clarification. i'll let you know how it turns out!
Old 02-10-2008, 03:03 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

noise might be an issue. is this going to be used with the stock mufflers?
Old 02-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Pr0n Addict

no, my mufflers apear to be cheap "coffe can" like mufflers. probabaly from pep boys or something knowing the PO. it's already pretty loud with the silencers out, so if it's too loud after this i'll put those in.
zlover: good point with the top fuel exhuast. i have a friend that races hydroplanes and at those races, i see that 90% of the boats have nothing but pipes to get the exhuast away from the engine. the real rich guys often have something on the end of them though. i have no idea what it is, but they seem to do well. i can't for the life of me find a picture of one right now, but they look like a lava lamp shape pretty much. 2 cones big end to big end
dunno. just thinking through my hands i guess
Old 02-10-2008, 04:16 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

i believe the Top Fuelers run the short lengths because it actually helps draw the next pulse out. you are creating an area of lower than ambient pressure in the pipe, kinda like a siphon.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:21 PM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by entropy31
i believe the Top Fuelers run the short lengths because it actually helps draw the next pulse out. you are creating an area of lower than ambient pressure in the pipe, kinda like a siphon.
it also gives them downforce
Old 02-10-2008, 04:27 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by b300z
it also gives them downforce
fail.......
Old 02-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Pr0n Addict

so is it pretty safe to say that i can't mess up the way the car runs by getting strait pipes all the way to the mufflers? i've heard so much controversey about it that i'm a bit nervous about getting that done. also, with most test pipes, do you just have to make an inlet for the pipes that come in to the exhuast right about in the middle of the transmission area? i would imagine that i can drill a hole in the main pipe and weld a threaded fitting in there

Quick Reply: Exhaust..