300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

cat back exhaust - just not too loud

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 07:15 PM

cat back exhaust - just not too loud

I have just bought a wonderful 96NA 2+2 w/60k and am interested in some performance parts. So far I have added headers, Jet ECU, UDP, LW Flywheel, 1 piece drive shaft, Pop charger filter, and short shift kit. The last piece that I want to pursue is a cat-back exhaust system. (I plan to leave the cat conv. installed)

I want to open up the stock sound, but am a bit spooked since I heard another 300zx buzz by that sounded like he straight piped it through empty coffee cans with rocks them. Didn't get a chance to ask him what he had. I don't want to wake folks when I leave early in the morning, and want to drive at highway speed without having my ears ring. But I do want a more open, bassie sound.

I have been looking at the B&B's and think they would be a good fit, but can't get a handle on how loud they really are. No refunds if too loud. :(

Can anyone offer some practical advice here? I don't have "access to anyone locally with this setup", (which was all B&B, Stillen, or Borla could offer). BTW - I have driven an 89 BMW M5 with B&B's and loved it - would the Z be much louder?
Old 04-12-2004, 07:23 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

If you can afford the B&B, I'll point you in the direction of www.specialtyz.com
Click the link in my sig to view links to other places where parts can be located. You might be interested in viewing www.boost-solutions.com They have sound clips of the exhausts they sell. Except the Stillen systems of course, they sound like *** anyway.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:38 PM

Excellent! The SpecialtyZ web site has the magic words - "satisfaction guarantee." It's amazing that the exhaust industry, being so subjective in many ways, doesn't seem to get this one right.

I hope you are on commission! I'll be callin them and telling them that you sent me. Thanks for the quick response.

Last edited by eleven@techsolv; 04-12-2004 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Commission?
Yeah, I wish! I could use the cash! LOL
If anything just mention Zdriver, maybe they'll advertise here then.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:11 AM

Update - I tried SpecialtyZ

FIRST, I am very impressed with Greg and Seb as SpecialtyZ. Thanks for the recommendation. I bolted up the Sebring mufflers and the perf differences were dramatic.

SECOND, it was WAY TOO LOUD. My 96NA simply resonated at 1800-2600rpm in a way that would make me nausiated in about 30mins of rush hour traffic. At 80mph and 3200rpm the system was delightful. I'm still looking. Surely there is some middle ground.

I am looking for a system that is quiet enough to drive through a neighborhood, yet still have some "burble" when you lean into it. Stock is way too tame. This is a daily driver - I am trying to acheive an elusive balance between minor volume increases and noticable performance gains.

Can anyone provide some input here? I would be interested in a spectrum of mufflers by "loudness" from stock -> ??? -> ??? -> Sebring ->??? -> B&B ->??? -> to straight pipe.

LAST, for your records, the 96NA has the flange on the outlet of the catalytic conv *BACKWARD* so standard H/X pipes will NOT work. To do it right would mean replacing the downtubes & cats (...adding O2 bungs...) plus H/X pipe plus mufflers. (I've already put on headers...). So much for a simple cat back job.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

I guess I shoulda mentioned it earlier. Z32 have a natural resonance around 2K rpm. So no matter what exhaust you got besides stock, it's gonna be extra loud at that rpm. Highway cruising is pretty good though like you said.