300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Car starts, runs, I turn off the car, then it wont start back up.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 06:04 PM

Alright, first and foremost, I'm grateful for the amount of feedback I'm getting, I appreciate it.

I managed to pull the PTU earlier today, heres some pics..

I have decided to hit up the junk yard tomorrow morning since they have 2 300zx's and I'll be looking for a PTU mainly for the connectors and the cables. At this point I'm wondering whether I should just splice the cables directly to the PTU or just get some new/used ones?

Another thing I noticed is that when I started up my car and I'd reeve on it, you would hear the engine slighty stumble as the RPM's rose, the higher the RPM's though, the smoother it sounded, I then checked the PTU harness connectors to see if there was anything loose, the connectors were connected but I gave it a good puh just to make sure. As I started revving up the car again there was a huge difference so I'm thinking not only are my connectors from the PTU harness loose and therefore bad, but also that black wire as I showed in the picture above may have an effect on it all.. i'll keep you guys posted once I do what I gotta do tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Obsessive Craigslist Disorder

was your car at operating temp before you reved it?
cause my car stumbles in the mornings once it is warmed up its fine.
my ptu wires are spliced the only down side it if i ever need to take it off ill have to re do it all
Old 11-11-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by rtmorgan
was your car at operating temp before you reved it?
cause my car stumbles in the mornings once it is warmed up its fine.
my ptu wires are spliced the only down side it if i ever need to take it off ill have to re do it all

well i turned it on and off a couple of times, and i noticed that as it started there was a bit of stumbling but besides that everything seemed normal. I wonder if theres anything else thats going bad. I'm actually gonna hit up the junkyard right now and try to get those ptu harness connectors.

As with those damage cables I could just redo that myself right? not like its a special cable or anything is it?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:49 PM

Alright, just to give everyone an update, I went to the junkyard, they wanted 100 dollars for the PTU harness so I had to pass on that. I ended up buying the wires that connect to the PTU but was disappointed to find out those were no better then the ones I already had. The cables I have aren't bad except for that one black cable I posted a pic of, that and the female connectors from the PTU harness are a bit loose, does anyone know how to make these more stiff so they dont move in and out as much?

Anyways, I drove the car around, took it on the freeway for a good while, came back and the car seems to be driving good. Does anyone know where I should put the PTU at? heres some pics

Where should the PTU be placed?

Now I'm obviously gonna wrap these up with some electric tape but I wanted some feedback on where these should go, I just not so crazy about cutting my ptu harness and splicing those connectors to em..
Old 11-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Ruff Ryder

as for the PTU placement, i would say #2 is your best best, but **** it, if its running good then drive it.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by hoov100
as for the PTU placement, i would say #2 is your best best, but **** it, if its running good then drive it.

Well since I removed the PTU, its pretty much just dangling as I drove it I tucked it under need the air intake cover. It looked like this when I drove it

and that just doesn't look safe lol. Maybe I"ll hold off on repositioning the cable this weekend. Once again thank you all, I guess it was just a simple cleaning of these damn cables but at this point I'm leaning more towards just splicing the cables and getting rid of those connectors.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Pr0n Addict

there's nothing wrong about where it originally is in most cases. just leaving it on the timing cover won't hurt anything. if you move it, it's just up to you to decide where is easiest for it. let me know next time you go to the junk yard if you want some $$$$
Old 11-11-2008, 02:19 PM

for your loose connections you could take a set of needle nose pliers and twist the male ends of the conector a little bit like 10-15 degrees. and they will cause the female connectors to hold in a little better.

or you could just hard wire them together like i did either way just as hoov said if its running then drive it.

also if your car is stumbling when its cold thats ok live with it
if it stumbles when its at operating temp then you have a problem
Old 11-11-2008, 02:20 PM

ohh if you just splice them together do them 1 at a time so you dont mix anything up just my .02
Old 11-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
there's nothing wrong about where it originally is in most cases. just leaving it on the timing cover won't hurt anything. if you move it, it's just up to you to decide where is easiest for it. let me know next time you go to the junk yard if you want some $$$$
the problem being is vibration and it being very close to to a source of water, if he where to put it next to the relay panel it would be fairly safe and outa the way.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:30 PM

Just to give people an update, i was getting ready to start splicing wires and reposition the PTU but I had to help my buddy out so I'm gonna hold off till tomorrow. The sensor connectors are gonna stay where they are, I'm just gonna wrap em up with some electrical tape. As with the PTU, I'm still unsure if I wanna mount it to the right of the car or under that one car..

Old 11-29-2008, 03:43 PM

I was gonna post this sooner but due to a family emergency I had to fly to california and I been busy these past few weeks. Anyways, this is what I got..

The first two pictures shows off the wrapping I did around the sensor cables.

This picture shows the PTU, cables are all exposed.

The last thing I need to do is wrap some electrical tape around all those wires that lead to the PTU(all the wires I spliced)

When I came home today and I started the car up, it started up and the engine continued running but after 15 seconds or so, it would start sputtering and eventually die. I was going to record a video to give you guys an idea of what exactly happens but once I moved the PTU around (along with the cables) and I started her up, it continued to run with no problems. See before I thought it was those PTU harness connectors that were the problem, thats why I spliced em but it seems like theres a loose wire or a bad wire thats causing the car to die.

Another thing that I've noticed is that the minute I turn it on, those backup fans or whatever their called (it sounds like a vacuum cleaner) turn on immediately and once the engine dies, those fans remain on. I'm gonna try running the codes tomorrow and doing a more through check to see if I can find anything.. any feedback would be much appreciated.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:19 PM

I had ptu sub harness problems too. It was exactly the same. i tried splicing them and i did it perfect. Still nothing. I just bought a new one from z1's site. Everything is perfect now.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:20 PM

Oh as for the fans i had that problem too lol its the coolant temp sensor plug, which is the yellow one right in the front of your engine. I had so many probs with my wires i just got a new wiring harness.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:11 PM

Alright, so heres the crazy thing, the car would start, sputter and then die, but I repositioned the PTU and all that cables and I tried to start it again and it actually did this time. I've driven the car a few times but it shakes like crazy when I"m at a stop, it shakes so much that I put it in neutral and even that doesn't help that much. I've tried moving the cables and bending them just to see if I get a response from the car and no dice. I'm trying to make the car die so at least I know which cable is the one thats faulty.. any ideas?

oh and Jared, you were right about those sensor cables, I guess they were a little loose, I made sure both connectors were in and the fans turned off..
Old 12-04-2008, 06:04 PM

dont forget your maf plug too!! mine started acting up again. it was making my car run rough like you were explaning and that led it to do that 2500rpm rev limiter thing and eventually my car died when i came to a stop. i pulled off the maf plug and tweaked all the little connectors in the maf side at a 20degree angle or so and plugged it back together and walla all better.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:10 PM

dont forget your maf plug too!! mine started acting up again. it was making my car run rough like you were explaning and that led it to do that 2500rpm rev limiter thing and eventually my car died when i came to a stop. i pulled off the maf plug and tweaked all the little connectors in the maf side at a 20degree angle or so and plugged it back together and walla all better.

whats a maf plug lol...and where does it go? is it visible in the pictures that i've posted?

Oh ok, I get what your saying, bend the connectors that lead to the ptu so they hold better?

Last edited by MO3IUSONE; 12-04-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:19 PM

the mass air flow sensor (maf plug) its the plug that is right above your air filter.
i was talking about bending the connectors on the maf to hold better.
but it wouldnt hurt to do it to the ptu as well.
have you checked the cas plug too?
(crank angle sensor)
i had issues with mine once it just came unplugged and my car died in the middle of the intersection
Old 12-04-2008, 06:22 PM

the mass air flow sensor (maf plug) its the plug that is right above your air filter.
i was talking about bending the connectors on the maf to hold better.
but it wouldnt hurt to do it to the ptu as well.
have you checked the cas plug too?
(crank angle sensor)
i had issues with mine once it just came unplugged and my car died in the middle of the intersection

I dont know where any of these things are at.. is there a site that could tell me or show me a picture?
Old 12-04-2008, 06:25 PM

Is this the mass air flow sensor? that square looking thing? hmm..

also, whats the proper name for the cas plug?

the maf is under the center pannel where your air filter is (between the headlights) its 4 bolts.
the cas is on the front of your engine on the right half it is silver and attached by 3 bolts do not take it off just pull off the plug check the connectors tweak them and re attach
(i also zip tie my connectors together for good measure snce mine are crap mabe you should try that too)

yes the black thing with the wires coming out of it
Old 12-04-2008, 07:39 PM

did you wash your engine bay with water recently?
if so check every connector no matter what connector it is for water and put some dielectric grease on them
that ould be part of the issue too.
the grease will help keep water out in the future
Old 12-04-2008, 09:45 PM

did you wash your engine bay with water recently?
if so check every connector no matter what connector it is for water and put some dielectric grease on them
that ould be part of the issue too.
the grease will help keep water out in the future

i have yet to wash the engine bay.. i'm gonna go through all the cables tomorrow after work, i'll keep you guys posted.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:27 PM

Alright, heres another update,

As I was removing my battery the other night, and installing the newer one I noticed this hose, I didn't know what it was and I just figured it was one of the hoses to the windshield wash fluid or something so I just ignored it.

I then saw this little square box.. I dont know what the hell it is, but there was like 3 hoses connected to it and I believe the fuel damper went to this box so.. it had to be important.

I disconnected the mother****er to see if it was corroded or anything, it was a bit so I scraped that **** off and sprayed it down.

i replaced some of the hoses that connected to that square connector and i replaced the "T" fitting...word..

after I did these hoses I went back to the PTU since I never did finish that. I started wrapping the cables.

Heres what it looks like once I was done.

The cables that were where the PTU is now, I put them on the other side but their just hanging there, I need to do something with em.

Anyways, that hose that was just hanging there had to be the problem, once I connected that hose, it ran like a champ! I really wanna thank everyone for helping me out, I'm not done with the car yet though, it does shake a bit while I stop but not as bad as before, I think thats normal, its smooth when I take off though. thanks again!

Quick Reply: Car starts, runs, I turn off the car, then it wont start back up.