300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

can car run without pcv?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 09:45 AM

can car run without pcv?

can a 91 300zx run without driver side pcv valve?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Jack Of All Trades

You'll have a vacuum leak if you don't plug the whole in the intake plenum. Without the pcv valve, you chance blowing oil out of your crank and cam oil seals.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
You'll have a vacuum leak if you don't plug the whole in the intake plenum. Without the pcv valve, you chance blowing oil out of your crank and cam oil seals.
if you plug the PCV vavle ports what CC says may happen, but if you bypass the PCV system with a blow by canister/ catch tank you will be fine.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:15 PM

I wouldn't recommend removing the PCV. Even with a catch tank. There is absolutely NO benefit what so ever from eliminating the PCV valve. You only seek to complicate things by doing so. A catch tank system requires more space and plumbing then the PCV system and you can't just seal the PCV up cause you'll be blowing seals, as was mentioned above. If the valve is bad just replace it. They only cost a few bucks
Old 04-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
I wouldn't recommend removing the PCV. Even with a catch tank. There is absolutely NO benefit what so ever from eliminating the PCV valve. You only seek to complicate things by doing so. A catch tank system requires more space and plumbing then the PCV system and you can't just seal the PCV up cause you'll be blowing seals, as was mentioned above. If the valve is bad just replace it. They only cost a few bucks
... bingo...
Old 05-08-2006, 01:09 PM

Well I know when I bought my RVM hard pipes I was forced to elimintate the front two PCV tubes due to fitment. The rear two coming off the plenum are still in place. So I dunno if what effects eliminating just two would have?
Old 05-08-2006, 04:46 PM

worst case scenario you atleast want the crankcase to be able to vent when the pressure builds. But with the PCV in place the pressure is actually sucked out, creating a vacuum which helps to not only evacuate the pressure but also helps to seal the piston rings and reduce blow-by.