300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Balancer removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:26 PM

Balancer removal

How hard is it to pull the balancer? i have everything around it already taken off and i don't know what to do. I need to get it off to put a new timming cover on and it looks like it will take a special puller and something to hold it in place while removing the nut. I don't wasnt to end up having to trim the cover but if i have to i will any help would be great thanks
Old 04-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Registered Drifter

Air gun on the nut (unless you can keep the engine from turning) Then go to Autozone and rent a pulley puller kit (called something like that) you pay the cost of the puller and get your $ back when you return it. It makes life oh so easy and is pretty effortless. GL
Old 04-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Pr0n Addict

the puller isn't even that much though. $15 maybe?

what cover are you talking about cutting? you shouldn't need to cut anything. and if you don't have a nice air wrench, a stout breaker bar with a pipe on it will do just fine. remember to find the size of the bolts you will need to use the puller so you can get them while you're getting the puller
Old 04-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Registered Drifter

If you go to harbor freight its probably like $10-$20 for the puller kit, probably like $25-$50 @ Sears or something, but how often will he really need a puller..obviously it's on him if he wants to buy one
Old 04-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Pr0n Addict

yeah. it is nice to have. you can use it for other things too. and it's possible that it will need to come off again before the next 60k.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Registered Drifter

touche'
Old 04-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Über User

to remove the nut what i like to do is so simple you'll laugh. stick the tranny in gear (only if you have a manual tranny if not sorry im no help) pull up the hand brake and chock the wheels so the car can't roll. especially if you have the front end up in the air. then you should get a pulley puller but so far i have been able to get every harmonic balancer off of my cars without one successfully and without damaging anything in the process. you can probably rent one from autozone if its close by and once you return it you get all your money back. its not very often you need to pull a pulley. some may argue that though, but free is free.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 PM

yeah well the thing is right after i posted this i figured out that i could just get it with breaker bars. I'm thinking that could be a bad thing. The nut should have been on with about 270 ft lbs of pressure but i put the psi on the gun was max 90 but i cranked it up to 150 it was a pretty cheap gun. I think it might have came off a little too easily.could this be a big problem? It's not like it just slid off but usually balancers are pressed on good enough that a puller is needed. i don't know if this is common for z32's.

kas-i called autozone and they didn't have anything to rent

snw-i know how to take engines apart i work at a salvage yard but the balancer didn't look very easy to take off with normal pullers but i was wrong i could have but didn't need to. And at first i didn't think my airgun would fit between the a/c condenser and the balancer i'm used to snap-on guns which are longer than the cheap-*** one i have.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:13 PM
Pr0n Addict

so the bolt came out easily or the balancer came off easily? if the bolt came out easily, no big deal. just put it back with the right setting. i thought it was 190 but maybe you are right. if the balancer came off very easily, i'd look around a bit. is there play? was the woodruff key in there?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:14 PM

oh i forgot about the timing cover, since i got the balancer off i didn't have to trim the lower cover, that was missing. I was thinking about leaving on the balancer and trimming the lower cover and squeezing it on but it's all good everything is on and working... except my power steering, but i think i just need to drive it some. I'm guessing it's just air bubbles in the system.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Pr0n Addict

won't you just take that cover off? the metal one that goes around the crank sprocket and meets the upper plastic covers?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:17 PM

yeah the key is there and there was only a little play when it bolt was out nothing major it's tight now with the bolt on and i might end up getting a UD pulley to fix that problem.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
won't you just take that cover off? the metal one that goes around the crank sprocket and meets the upper plastic covers?
what? i was missing the cover and it wouldn't slide behind the balancer.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Pr0n Addict

oh oh ok.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Über User

idk what your telling me your life story about i was just providing some insight. ha! you did ask. plus, im still completely unclear as to what your real problem is, these posts are like, slightly vague...
Old 04-20-2009, 08:11 PM

kas seemed to have got it. if you learned to read in second grade you could probably understand it and oh **** it told you where i work ... i guess that's a short life story. i don't mean to be a bastard about it but come on if you actually read everything i think i go into pretty good detail since i must have given you my life story. do you want the paint code 2 and cast numbers? lol
Old 04-20-2009, 08:12 PM

*paint codes too
Old 04-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Über User

who kicked sand into your vagina? it was sarcasm. your the one the spit **** at me for giving you advise on what i was able to interpret the problem as. there's more than one "balancer" on a car. i was able to interpret what you meant because you wanted to remove the timing covers. then you just rambled a little about the nut and couldn't remove "it". you weren't clear on what actually was stuck, if the nut was stuck on or just the pulley from being on there for so many years so i gave you a full run down to cover all areas. and i get some sas about, i work in a salvage yard so i know how to rebuild engines. ok... i work at a napa store so i know how to rebuild engines? lol, first off... come on. i practically lived at a salvage yards one summer, the people there don't know **** (this isn't intended to be an insult at you im just saying for reference). If you didn't want advice from me then say so. im not a PRO in the Z32 but i know more than the average person. in the past 2 years i've done more with my cars than some repair shops see. so i usually wont give bad advice, never have been perfect in the past, but i felt i could give this one a stab. lol. god, i still don't even know if i addressed your problem. again.... im not trying to sound condescending here, never was in any post, but im in a pissed off mood already so not to pleased with the attitude i got for giving you advise and then being a little humorous in my post so you would hopefully not take offense to when i said your description was a little vague. which, seriously, it was. just cause something makes clear perfect sense in your mind doesn't mean it will reflect the same way through the computer screen to everyone else.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 PM

I'm sorry your pissed off snw but your being hipocritical because i at least made it clear that my last post wasn't supposed to be mean or offent you by putting "i don't mean to be a bastard" and at the end i siad lol... so sorry for using sarcasm too but the only "ha" in your post, to me, sounded like it was meant to be like ha your dumb. but now that it's cleared up i think we should stop attacking eachother ... k
Old 04-20-2009, 09:02 PM

oooo i realize now that i screwed up on a post or 2 lolz. when i said i got it with breaker bars i meant i was able to got the balancer off with a wrecking bar and a pry bar by putting them on opposite sides and alternating pulling on them.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Pr0n Addict

oh. so what do you think the issue is? i don't think you really have a problem. the balancer didn't just slide right off did it? if it fits snugly, and the bolt holds it properly, i don't see why you would need to replace it.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:13 PM

here's some pics before and after looks nice now
Attached Thumbnails Balancer removal-090419_142022.jpg   Balancer removal-090419_173102.jpg  
Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Über User

you can' really say i dont mean to be a bastard and then through a personal attack into the mix. i think your trying to cover it with sarcasm now realizing i was not intent on being a dick but i don't really have any position to argue that point. either way, glad you got your stuff done, and still friends . oh, and that wouldn't really be hypocritical of me, it would be irony though. also to be clear, im not pissed over this, life has me a bit flustered right now, my sister was being a condescending bitch (and is 25 and still lives at home, loser) and i told her to stop being a condescending bitch before i pushed her *** down some stairs, and my mom felt she would give me a lecture on beating women like i was the criminal. first off, she almost drowned me as a child, i can't view her in any other way as some control freak that tried to murder me as a child, not a woman. and second, i would NEVER hit a woman, i wouldn't even hit her. but i would trip her *** and anything that came of it would be a bonus as for any other woman on the planet, nope. actually the only thing im passionate about in life (as in how some people are pro life, and super fems and crap) is guys that beat on women. and i mean beat on women, now if that woman came at him with a knife not gonna lie, that deserves a punch in the ovaries. im not getting stabbed. also i got alot of school work piling up being the last 2 weeks of classes and all...

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 04-20-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
oh. so what do you think the issue is? i don't think you really have a problem. the balancer didn't just slide right off did it? if it fits snugly, and the bolt holds it properly, i don't see why you would need to replace it.
well the balancer was able to be moved a little but it's good now with the bolt. i was just wondering if it's sopposed to be tight on the crank without the bolt or if nissans are loose on the crank. but the car will live so i'm happy with how it turned out.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:19 PM

u in college snw?work load would suck for college. i'm going to tech school in a year much easier for classes

Last edited by 300zgearhead; 04-20-2009 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Balancer removal