300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

automatic tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:32 PM

automatic tranny

hey guys i could really use some help here! I have a 1990 n/a automatic. This is my first Z. at first it seemed as though the car would not go into 3rd gear at all.Yesterday i took it down the road run it up through the gears shifted into 3rd and nothing let off the gas to see if it would slip into gear. its going into 3rd but acts like its still in 2nd. i can rev itin 3rd and when the rsss come up it feels like its in 2nd not like it is slipping down shift to 2nd and it goes into 2nd so i know it is going into 3rd. tranny fluid is full didnt change the filter yet.

The original owner changed the shifter and had to splice the o/d wire together from what i was told the car ****** before they done this and help or ideas willing to try anything at this point. if the tranny is bad i will be doing a ls1 swap. I have been reading every z forum i can find they just dont seem to be very active so im gonna try my luck. any help on this car would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Über User

check the fluid level? properly? other than that automatics suck why would you bother every one seems to have problems with them and no one gives a crap about them so not much knowledge will be found on them in forums. also, just do a 5 speed swap instead of an LS1 swap thats just lame to take a TT Z32 and stick in an inferior motor.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by SickTwin
any help on this car would be greatly appreciated.
1) Your wheels are on backwards.

2)
I have been reading every z forum i can find they just dont seem to be very active so im gonna try my luck.
What? Who's not active... the Z community? Are you nuts? Twinturbo.NET But don't bother posting about an LS1 swap... that's retarded. The VG30DETT is capable over over 700rwhp in stock form, and modded ones can do over 1000rwhp if you're retarded enough to build a dyno-queen.

3) Check the fluid level (I know you said it's full, but find an owners manual or service manual and follow the directions for checking it) and change the trans filter. Get back to us once that's done and if the problem is still there, we'll give more ideas.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 12-07-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Pr0n Addict

taking that body kit off will probably fix it.

but seriously, isn't there some diagnostic you can run for those?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Ruff Ryder

hey guys i could really use some help here! I have a 1990 n/a automatic. This is my first Z. at first it seemed as though the car would not go into 3rd gear at all.Yesterday i took it down the road run it up through the gears shifted into 3rd and nothing let off the gas to see if it would slip into gear. its going into 3rd but acts like its still in 2nd. i can rev itin 3rd and when the rsss come up it feels like its in 2nd not like it is slipping down shift to 2nd and it goes into 2nd so i know it is going into 3rd. tranny fluid is full didnt change the filter yet.

The original owner changed the shifter and had to splice the o/d wire together from what i was told the car ****** before they done this and help or ideas willing to try anything at this point. if the tranny is bad i will be doing a ls1 swap. I have been reading every z forum i can find they just dont seem to be very active so im gonna try my luck. any help on this car would be greatly appreciated.

if you can get a decent ls2 i would just make it an an even 6L cause your gonna have to pull the motor anyway if your trans is going out. but dont listen to these haters, they are are purists when it comes to the z32, do what makes power and makes you happy, a stock ls2 with decent tires will destroy a a lightly modded TT z, that and if you ever wanna turbo it, the LS2 is very accepting of forced induction.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Pr0n Addict

the v-6 is tight enough with turbos... v-8 with turbos in that? if you're a brain surgeon
Old 12-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
the v-6 is tight enough with turbos... v-8 with turbos in that? if you're a brain surgeon
hardly, v8's fit better and weigh less then even a stock vg30de or dett, you have to remember how wide the vg30de/tt is and how heavy it is.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:52 PM

Wasnt trying to ruffle feathers here was just looking for some insight from people who know this car. Like i said my first z my first import at that. I have a ls1 is why i was considering that i dont have a TT . I have also been considering just tuning whats in it and moving on.

But yeah the body kit was on it not real found of the back myself. If the tranny is toast how bad would a 5 speed swap be and as far as finding the parts.
are there any 5speed swap build threads out there?
again thanks for the help.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Ruff Ryder

with the 5spd, you will need the brake pedal, clutch pedal and M/C assembly, clutch flywheel throw out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch lines, shifter bracket for the center console, shift boot and shift ****, then to remove all of the automatic trans wiring, shifter, computer...etc
Old 12-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Pr0n Addict

yeah it's not all that hard. it's a long list, but really, it's do-able. i'd say it's worth it.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:25 PM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
also, just do a 5 speed swap instead of an LS1 swap thats just lame to take a TT Z32 and stick in an inferior motor.
i wouldnt call the LS1 an inferior motor
Old 12-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Ruff Ryder

thats entirely dependent on the person, theres a HUGE list of things you can/need to do on a TT motor when it comes out.

you see i dont hate the TT motor, its almost retarded though on how much you have to do to make it somewhat reliable and easy to work on and with all of the services you have to do, it just doesnt make the work worth it, when a v8 is putting out just as much power and costs less then it would take to replace the turbo's and do the 60k mile maintenance. There are three things you should consider when swapping engines, reliability, affordability and sustainability/maintainability.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Über User

this isnt a TT? well then in that case i dont really care if you do the swap haha, sicktwin i would tend to think twin turbo, that is a car that is great as is, the NA though will never make power and if your going to go through the hassle of a motor swap to make power then whatever floats your boat, i just dont like seeing a TT motor pulled for something else, its a dying breed. but the LS1 is still running on an inferior engine design just modern materials and modern fuel delivery.

p.s i see now you said an auto NA right from the start. i had a brain fart i guess.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Pr0n Addict

it may be in inferior design, in the sense that it's a pushrod and not a dohc, but it still seems to do the job. i think it keeps up just fine. i seem to remember reading something about the pushrod layout giving it more low end power some how
Old 12-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Ruff Ryder

the vg30dett is inferior with its valve-piston interference and timing belt design.

(what now bitch? )
Old 12-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Über User

interference engines rock! they only suck if you dont do 60k's and let the car eat itself. and push rod engines do make better low end torque for some reason thats the only reason airplanes use them i do believe, because they only rev to 2.5k hahaha. need to make max power by then. yet they still burn 9gph and thats on a little cessna.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Ruff Ryder

on my 92 before it died it had 24k miles on a nissan timing belt before it stretched and munchified the valves, amazimgly the bottom end is still good though..
Old 12-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Über User

if done properly using oem nissan belts and cared for properly it wouldn't have ever happened. so cant blame the setup, only the person
Old 12-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Pr0n Addict

timing belt malfunction like that has to be attributable to something. i'm betting that either the tensioner wasn't set properly, so that it ran out of tension too fast, or that it was a cheap, off brand timing belt. or that it was driven way too hard, which may be the case with hoov!!
Old 12-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
timing belt malfunction like that has to be attributable to something. i'm betting that either the tensioner wasn't set properly, so that it ran out of tension too fast, or that it was a cheap, off brand timing belt. or that it was driven way too hard, which may be the case with hoov!!
thats what you do with cars, you drive it till something breaks, then you fix the broken parts with stronger ones and drive it till something else breaks, but i have been wanting to toss in a v8 when the NA died anyway, so now i am on the hunt.

Last edited by hoov100; 12-08-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Pr0n Addict

driving so hard that the timing belt breaks is not what i'd call "what you're supposed to do with a car". it falls right in line with standing the car on it's side with the hood off so that you can use the engine as the target for your 1000 yard .308 shot. all it does is ruin it, and you would have been better off using the right tool.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:36 AM
F5 Hero

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
1) Your wheels are on backwards.
I was wondering if anyone else noticed that.. lol looks like it might only be the rear ones, i can't tell though on the front.

Originally Posted by hoov100
if you can get a decent ls2 i would just make it an an even 6L cause your gonna have to pull the motor anyway if your trans is going out. but dont listen to these haters, they are are purists when it comes to the z32, do what makes power and makes you happy, a stock ls2 with decent tires will destroy a a lightly modded TT z, that and if you ever wanna turbo it, the LS2 is very accepting of forced induction.
For the sake of my point i will underline parts of his quote.... ok i thought there would be more to underline than just two things but eh, judging by the underlined statements alone you can clearly tell this guy is a moron, and thank goodness i noticed this in his first post so I knew to just skip the rest of his.

Slicktwin, i have all of the stuff needed for a auto 5 spd swap except the M/C, I MIGHT have one of those too though, not sure, will have to check if you want go that route.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by napoleonzheking
For the sake of my point i will underline parts of his quote.... ok i thought there would be more to underline than just two things but eh, judging by the underlined statements alone you can clearly tell this guy is a moron, and thank goodness i noticed this in his first post so I knew to just skip the rest of his.
really now? this is coming from a guy who modded his NA? also from a guy who the ignorance to have in his signature "since nismo stand for nissan motor sports, that means homo stands for honda motorsports!" last i heard there was no abbreviation for honda motorsports, also the last i heard honda was doing pretty damn good in racing.

Last edited by hoov100; 12-08-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:11 PM

napoleonzheking Yes i would be interested in the 5 speed set u have. just drop me a pm and i can give u my cell#

I hate to sound like a dumb *** but are u guys serious about the wheels on backwards If so i didn't notice lol though it was kinda like telling me to change my turn signal fluid.

and hoov100 read the post buddy before u lash out at me . I never said a word to you. I actually agreed with you on most of what you said. But its better this way to see how you really felt about my original post. Im just trying to learn a little about my car. even if i have to ask dumb question to get there.Im not just some punk kid if i wanted to just butcher the car up and make it scream I would just stab this little 302cu. sbc i put together for the 65 nova you see in my pic above.

Again guys i really appreciate all the help and advice also glad you guys proved me wrong about being inactive Just hadnt seen alot of new post but i stand corrected and i will try to continue to ask dumb questions.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Ruff Ryder

napoleonzheking Yes i would be interested in the 5 speed set u have. just drop me a pm and i can give u my cell#

I hate to sound like a dumb *** but are u guys serious about the wheels on backwards If so i didn't notice lol though it was kinda like telling me to change my turn signal fluid.

and hoov100 read the post buddy before u lash out at me . I never said a word to you. I actually agreed with you on most of what you said. But its better this way to see how you really felt about my original post. Im just trying to learn a little about my car. even if i have to ask dumb question to get there.Im not just some punk kid if i wanted to just butcher the car up and make it scream I would just stab this little 302cu. sbc i put together for the 65 nova you see in my pic above.

Again guys i really appreciate all the help and advice also glad you guys proved me wrong about being inactive Just hadnt seen alot of new post but i stand corrected and i will try to continue to ask dumb questions.
sorry about that, i wasnt aiming at you. you see i get a little confused and trigger happy when i dont have my medication and a series of events today have started to accumulate..

no hard feelings?

Quick Reply: automatic tranny