300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

All 3 cylinders on driver side not firing

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:34 AM

All 3 cylinders on driver side not firing

I recently replaced all of my injectors, my head gasket, timing belt, water pump, intake mani gasket and some other gaskets and misc parts.

The car ran alright for a few weeks then had a weird loss of power there was a small fuel leak I fixed the leak and nothing changed.

I recently discovered the ecu was throwing a knock sensor code, I had connected the Knock sensor to the wrong plug so I swapped the plugs. The car ran slightly better but not right. There were no codes after that.

I decided to check and see if all of the cylinders were firing and discovered all 3 on the drivers side were not firing. I replaced the ptu with no change. I am going to ohm the injectors, check for power to the injector and check for spark on all the coils but with all 3 not firing I see there being a problem elsewhere.

Any help or suggestions on what to try would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

It's a PTU or PTU harness problem.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:07 AM

Well I quickly checked to see if there was no spark or no fuel and both looked fine. I tested voltage to each injector and each coil and I checked the injectors them selves. I am thinking maybe somehow the valves got messed up or the timing belt slipped a gear. That or somehow all 3 of those cylinders rings are having issues at the same time or all 3 coil packs went out. I am going to pull the plugs and do a compression test asap. I will swap the coil packs to the other side or test them while they are out.

If anyone has suggestions please let me know.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
It's a PTU or PTU harness problem.

I though so until I saw power to the injectors and coil packs. I shat myself put my head in my hands and started cussing.

Thanks for your input any other thoughts?
Old 07-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

While timing belt slips are theoretically possible, I've never actually met someone who had it happen. If you're tensioner was bad (or you installed it improperly), this is certainly possible, though. If you have a timing light, hook it up and watch the timing... when my timing belt was off by a tooth, the indicator jumped around (it couldn't hold a steady time)... that could tell the tale. (Btw, it should be at 15deg BTC, if you didn't know.)

And power to the injectors and coils is not all that's needed... they need to know when to fire, and the PTU is what sends the signal to tell them to fire. Open the PTU connectors (all of them, on the unit and the harness), clean them and use some di-electric grease, put them back together. If they don't fit together snugly, use a zip-tie to secure the connection.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 07-20-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
While timing belt slips are theoretically possible, I've never actually met someone who had it happen. If you're tensioner was bad (or you installed it improperly), this is certainly possible, though. If you have a timing light, hook it up and watch the timing... when my timing belt was off by a tooth, the indicator jumped around (it couldn't hold a steady time)... that could tell the tale. (Btw, it should be at 15deg BTC, if you didn't know.)

And power to the injectors and coils is not all that's needed... they need to know when to fire, and the PTU is what sends the signal to tell them to fire. Open the PTU connectors (all of them, on the unit and the harness), clean them and use some di-electric grease, put them back together. If they don't fit together snugly, use a zip-tie to secure the connection.

I will try this thanks!