300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Air Air Air

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 07:49 AM

Im sure you know you'll need two bypass valves... They're more or less filter's, they just spruce up the name so the ricers think they have a special valve on their car... Anyways.

I would suggest Injen intake system, and while your messing with the intake system, check out some junk yards and find a Z32 TT MAF (Mass Air Flow meter... The black cylinder attached to the air box) that tickles the air flow up a bit more.

Be advised: To install these bypass filter's, you are going to have to cut the pipping about half way... I would recomend taking it to a shop, becase if it isnt done right, you just wasted $120-$150.

Just a thought.

-Zoso
Old 04-25-2004, 11:05 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Ok, dumb question time.
What bypass valves are you talking about??

SpoonZ, click the link in the sig to access the link page. You'll find all the stuff you want and more.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:44 PM

Ive got the Injen intake on my car and that sounds real nice. Didnt really notice much of an increase, not that i was expecting much. But it's got nice shiny metal pipes and colorful tubes, and its one of the better intakes you'll find for the NA's Zs next to Jim Wolfe.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:27 AM
Tough Guy

Which is a better maf for adding more air. The Q45 with the 4.5 liter engine, Or the TT maf?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

I wouldn't recommend adding a larger MAF without an extended state of tune. More air without more fuel or a corrected ECU fuel map will create a lean condition and/or detonation.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Tough Guy

Originally Posted by rizzspeed
I wouldn't recommend adding a larger MAF without an extended state of tune. More air without more fuel or a corrected ECU fuel map will create a lean condition and/or detonation.

So what your saying is. If I was to say add the Q45 MAF. It will take in more air. But for it to work properly I should Have my ECU tuned to more appropriate settings??
Old 04-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Tough Guy

What kind of boost should I expect from a 4.5's MAF?
Old 04-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by domsgarage
So what your saying is. If I was to say add the Q45 MAF. It will take in more air. But for it to work properly I should Have my ECU tuned to more appropriate settings??
Yes, exactly.
I'm not sure of the "boost" potential. All the components have to work together for an overall gain. Unlike just replacing the air filter box or a new exhaust system that just "free up" hp, you need to add other components to fully realize the extra air flow that the larger MAF will provide. Just cuz you add more air to the engine without upgrading other stuff won't instantly give you more power.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Tough Guy

I thought that the more air the engine takes in, the more power can be created.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:29 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Keyword there is "CAN."
It's not automatic.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:41 PM

Q45 MAF if you are planning on boosting the HP quite a bit... That is why my boss use's these things on his Skyline's.

Go TT ZedX MAF for better low HP setting's.

And Riz... The bypass valve's are more or less water filter's for your intake pipping, keeps water from getting into your plenum...
Old 04-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Tough Guy

Its not really a planning on question. Its more a question of....Would there be a significant boost, and im not talking high numbers, in hp by getting 1.5 liters, if it works that way, worth of air into the car.