300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

is the 300zx Z32 OBD I or OBD II

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 07:36 AM

is the 300zx Z32 OBD I or OBD II

Ight guys, looking of a straight answer is the Z32's OBD I or OBD II, if its OBD II, because i thinking of runinning straight pipe. I heard for turbo cars its the best frees up alot of restictions, and also my cousin has a evo 8 with a kind turbo back exhuast and i mean that damn thing pulls, i know it wont be the same but he said he noticed a big difference. So guys let me know wats good with that and where i can get a O2 fix fo the ECU
Old 02-11-2006, 09:59 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

1990-1995=obd I. 1996=obd II.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:14 AM

Thus one of the reasons why (NO OFFENSE TO THE OWNERS) no one wants a '96 NA or TT Z. In '96 the did the OBDII, got rid of the VTC, and ultimaltly nuetered the engine. HOWEVER, OBDII only exists in the US. You can get newer say 96 to 00 JDM engines which are not OBD II.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:43 AM

Thanks man, well nother question is that im looking into runin test pipes and adn all, but my thing is emission. Well question is that i've heard that you dont have to worry bout emission after you do it for every 5 yrs is this true, is so it would be alot of help thanks
Old 02-12-2006, 10:01 AM

To answer that question we would have to know what state you are in. Each state's laws are different. Additionally, each emission test center is different too. I do not think any Z32 is emission exempt ANYWHERE yet. I am running test pipes on my NA, and once a year I have to jack my car up and put the stock pipes back on.

THis year I have a buddy that owns an emission center, and I m going to see if my NA with Test pipes will pass.

Another thing...I know alot of talk about emilinating EGR..AIV..and the Cats/ Pre-cats. But you do need to know that by messing with the emissions control devices on any car is a federal offense. Kinda ridiculous in my opinion. I believe that the punishment in Ga for removing the cats is $1000 fine or up to a year in Jail. SO im just forwarning you. I did not find out about the fine until I took my Z to a buddys exhaust shop, and the owner spotted them and informed me of the fact.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:03 PM
F5 Hero

I read a write up somewhere where you can unplug this ONE vacuum line and pretty much pass emissions... it's cheating, but yah....
Old 02-13-2006, 04:30 PM

Well if you find out wat line it is or where the write up is let me know, cause im looking to just take my car to emissions and then after get throw on my new exhuast along with the test pipes and then after just when i have to take to emissions just rebolt the stock exhuast from the down pipe back. Another question, if i was to just do that would i have to worry bout the car runing lean or it mession with my EGR valve or anything else. let me know wats good.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by SysqoeZ32
Well if you find out wat line it is or where the write up is let me know, cause im looking to just take my car to emissions and then after get throw on my new exhuast along with the test pipes and then after just when i have to take to emissions just rebolt the stock exhuast from the down pipe back. Another question, if i was to just do that would i have to worry bout the car runing lean or it mession with my EGR valve or anything else. let me know wats good.

http://300zx-twinturbo.com/tech/co/co.html

I take no responsibility if you get caught
Old 02-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

It's not guaranteed to work. It's rare to pass an emissions test without catalytic converters.

Not to mention, if they do any sort of visual inspection (which, at least here, they always look under the car with mirros), you'll fail on account of obviously not having cats.

But here's some common sense: keep your cats, put them on only for the test every few years, take them off after the test...
Old 02-13-2006, 08:44 PM

ok well, ya i feel ya but i wouldnt mind changin my exhuast out like when i need to do emissions, wat im tryin to ask with out doing anything to like say th O2 sensor, would it mess with it with the test pipes on it, So let me know that much cuz im gonna keep the exhuast from the end where you bolt it to the down pipes to the outer end of the pipes. So let me know
Old 02-13-2006, 08:45 PM

RIght...I mean it isnt that hard to change out the test pipes at all. I can do it in under 20 minutes. I spend more time jacking the car up than actualy changing the parts out.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:47 PM

ok..now i m confused. ou 02 sensors are on your manifolds and precats. The test pipes DO NOT have 02s on them. UNless of course you have a US SPec '96. Test pipes will not affect 02s.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:51 PM

ya i feel like i said im gonna just take it off just from the down pipes and all. So well thnx fo giving me that info i really need that, so let me ask yall does it make a huge different on useing the test pipes.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:53 PM

ight kool, na i was just asking cuz my brother has a talon "96" so then thats why i was just asking. thanks.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by SysqoeZ32
ya i feel like i said im gonna just take it off just from the down pipes and all. So well thnx fo giving me that info i really need that, so let me ask yall does it make a huge different on useing the test pipes.
I noticed a considerablt increas in hp in the higher RPM range on my NA. And it is noticabl louder.

TT cars will see a larger gain than what I cold ever imagine. Z1 sells te mild steel ones for like 90 bucks. Thats a real cheap HP adder.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:59 PM

Well kool just wanted to know if ya noticed it alot, and for a N/A to feel it then a tt model will give a good hp, well i already have my test pipes when i ordered my down pipes. So thnx alot guys.