300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 03:22 AM
Sam

Turbo Upgrade

Okay so after doing some research i figured out that my turbos are going to need replacement after around a year or so...
I've been facing a problem from some time ... it happens when the car is left idling for a long time (like ~5-10minutes) blue-ish smoke comes out of the muffler.. i dont remember which one or even if both..
Anyway the point here is that i want to replace them with bigger ones without the need to modify anything ! is this possible? Are there bigger turbos that are a direct replacement to OEM ones?
Another thing is will bigger turbos damage my motor??
Last thing will i gain more hp out of them considering the car will not exceed stage 3..??
Old 05-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by Sam
Anyway the point here is that i want to replace them with bigger ones without the need to modify anything ! is this possible? Are there bigger turbos that are a direct replacement to OEM ones?
Maybe Sport 500's if you already have an intake, exhaust, and ECU (you cannot run Sport 500's, or any other turbo, on a stock ECU). Otherwise, absolutely not. EVERY other turbo will require downpipes, injectors, and additional work.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Sam

Any Garret turbos similar to JWT's 500s?
And will they damage my engine or it can handle them??
I'm sorry but i really don't want to damage the car..

Last edited by Sam; 05-28-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:27 AM
F5 Hero

I'd highly recommend if your going to replace the turbos, to replace your downpipes with a quality set from specialtyZ. You might as well, since you'll have to pull the engine (I've read one account of someone removing turbos without removing the engine, but it was alot more work versus just pulling the engine). You will be happy with the outcome of replacing the downpipes as well.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

^ If he's trying to put a larger turbo on, without additional modifications, he clearly doesn't care about performance.

Go ahead and try to modify a Garrett T25 to fit... have fun modifying wastegate bracketry, fabricating inlets and outlets, etc. Sport 500's (and really any other turbo kit designed for the Z32) are designed to be a direct replacement for stock requiring no fabrication (though most require other modifications).

I told you at least once before - this is not a cheap car to own/modify. Cutting corners is going to cost more in the end.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Sam

Man why aren't you getting the point i'm in a position where somethings are more available than the others .. For example i will order the JWT ECU and pop charger but i"m not willing to order JWT turbos if my nephew is the exclusive distributor of garret turbos in lebanon so i will get them in there original price..
I heard the garret gt28rs are a perfect fit without the modification of anything

And why aren't you helping me and telling me the way how not to cut corners.. i told you before i dont want to go above stage 3! but however when time comes for replacing turbos i"d like to upgrade them.. what's the problem with that...

Last edited by Sam; 05-28-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:43 AM
F5 Hero

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
^ If he's trying to put a larger turbo on, without additional modifications, he clearly doesn't care about performance.

Go ahead and try to modify a Garrett T25 to fit... have fun modifying wastegate bracketry, fabricating inlets and outlets, etc. Sport 500's (and really any other turbo kit designed for the Z32) are designed to be a direct replacement for stock requiring no fabrication (though most require other modifications).

I told you at least once before - this is not a cheap car to own/modify. Cutting corners is going to cost more in the end.
Yes, even with stock turbos, I love my downpipes, and like i said, you might as well change them.

I'd say he doesn't care about "proper" performance as I call it.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Sam

Maybe you can say it that way... i dont want to turn my car into a beast i just want it stage 3 ... its enough for me.. i just wanted to know if i can upgrade my turbos with garret ones because my nephew can get them in a really low price and probably lower price than the stock ones !
Old 05-28-2010, 11:53 AM
F5 Hero

Originally Posted by Sam
Maybe you can say it that way... i dont want to turn my car into a beast i just want it stage 3 ... its enough for me.. i just wanted to know if i can upgrade my turbos with garret ones because my nephew can get them in a really low price and probably lower price than the stock ones !
stock z32 turbos are garrets... If I remember correctly it's a T22 with a T25 turbine.

you don't need larger turbos or anything other than stock turbos to be stage 3.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Sam

Originally Posted by napoleonzheking
stock z32 turbos are garrets... If I remember correctly it's a T22 with a T25 turbine.

you don't need larger turbos or anything other than stock turbos to be stage 3.
For real?? as if i dont know.. stage 3 is intake exhaust and ECU but im talking when its time to change my turbos i can upgrade them with lower price than stock ones.. so why not !
Old 05-28-2010, 12:19 PM
F5 Hero

Ever considered having your's rebuilt? Since you want garret turbos so bad and fail to realize you already have some....

The main thing is you need to figure out what is wrong with your turbos? I'd guess a bad seal if your getting blue smoke out.

Once they're pulled if the shaft play is minimal and they seem good other than the seals, have them rebuilt.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Stock turbos are TB02/22 in a T25 housing, but that doesn't change that the wastegate actuators and inlet/outlet flanges are custom to the Z32.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:13 AM
Sam

well maybe i"ll rebuilt them.. i dont know if its a seal .. the only thing i know is that i owned the car for about 2 months now and this only happened 2 times (its a daily driven car) i drive it everyday to university and i drive long distances so this happened only 2 times after very long idle and when it happened i revved a little the blue-ish smoke stopped..

I still dont know what's the problem with upgrading my garret t02/22 turbos with UPGRADED GARRET turbos that fits correctly without adjustments just like my turbos!

FYI, the car has 113000 kilometers on it.. i dont know if this helps..

Last edited by Sam; 05-29-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:11 AM

i think you should find the exact cause of the smoke before you go buying turbos? i know its an older turbo car with some mile its easy to point a finger at the turbo but i got a 96 eclipse that i bought off a girl that thought it needed a new turbo for $700 put new rings in it and poof no smoke?
i understand you got a line on some turbos and u wanna save money by using that connection. but what exactly makes the turbos you can get upgraded? if there the same as the stock units i wouldnt see any gain if set up the same? just more work trying to accually install them?
if you put a bigger turbo on you will make more power at the big end of the rpm band. anything and everything is a trade off when you start upgrading stuff. but if your worried about it hurting your car and you havent previously played with boost pressures and already jacked up some pistons then i wouldnt recomend doing it. play with the stock turbos some more learn more talk to some buddies that boost stuff till it breaks on a regular basis they know about how much it will take before $hit starts breaking.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:00 AM
Sam

aha okay thanks man ... i guess i"ll stick to my stock turbos..
anyway can i check them for bad seals while the motor is still in place ?? or should i pull the motor out to check them ?
Old 05-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Pull the motor.

There's a guy on here who replaced one of his turbos with the engine in, but he only did it because he didn't have a place to pull an engine.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:35 AM

I have T25 turbos on and have sufficient supporting mods that make 430rwhp. Only difference with my setup is Garret no longer makes these turbos. This is now the cars second set of used Garret turbos because apparently the guys on here that frown upon rebuilding may be RIGHT That and I like smokin up the town from time to time

Any NEW Garret turbos will likely have 5 bolt patterns that require upgraded down pipes like mentioned above.

So I guess the factors are:

Buying used/rebuilt turbos will be substantially cheaper than even your friends

BUT

They may only last a few years (more or less obviously)

Buy new turbos via your friend and have quality stuff.

BUT

Add in some extra costs for downpipes and supporting mods

Since you dont care about performance I would try to replace the stock turbos or rebuild. No need to waste money if you dont need to or want to. And I doubt you will buy new turbos for less than OEM.