300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Took the Z to the skidpad this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Registered Drifter

Took the Z to the skidpad this weekend...

Who ever said Z32's were no good for drifting were full of crap. Saturday was essentially my first time trying to drift my Z halfway through the day I was gettin the hang of it, today I did pretty well the vids are from today. I'll have more video's posted later.

I know I'm not a master of the drift but it's my second day so be easy on me. I let a couple of my friends who are realllly good @ drifting drive my Z they all loved it and it completely changed there minds about how they looked upon Z's.

Nothing too special about this run just first one I uploaded

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pG2DpvhCC9U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pG2DpvhCC9U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Registered Drifter

Probably the best run of the day first lap I spin out but the 2nd time around I connected every turn! Made me pretty excited because transferring the weight was my next step in improving my skills.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OXhOWwGlOPI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OXhOWwGlOPI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Oh stock suspension on sport mode with Hicas fuse unplugged
Old 03-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Pr0n Addict

why drift though? it's pretty much slowing auto-x down and paying more money to do it.

good vids anyway. that last lap was pretty nicely connected.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Registered Drifter

Well I have a 90' 240sx that I plan to drift I had finally got it running but the motorset was from I guy I later found out to be a real piece of crap and so was my motor. Drove it for 3 days and got rod knock. So I took the Z up instead. I had alot of fun and when I get better the Z will be there to help me when i want more power. Also why not! There are few ppl around my area that even drive Z's especially drift them. Also it's a good skill to have to save the car in case of a mis-hap on the road or when I take it to drive on the full track!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Registered Drifter

One of my favorite runs of the day. Listen to the crowd the 2nd time I slide near the k-rail.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ewep6k9r85g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ewep6k9r85g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I got close on quite a few runs (this was intentional)
Old 03-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Pr0n Addict

why not is because you can go faster driving properly, and put less strain on your drive train and your tires will last longer. and if you go to the real track, like road course you mean? you wouldn't be drifting... that would definitely slow you down if you were going for lap times. seriously, all it is is putting all the power that you could be using to go into burning the tires. good video anyway. i know it is fun. i'm just saying it doesn't make sense to make a sport out of it.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Registered Drifter

I mean like a race track and if I were to miss my line in a turn and go in too tight and too fast and have to save it by sliding out instead of going off he track. Thunder Hill Raceway in Willows, CA is the track I'd be @ it's where that skidpad is located. They actually have full track events where ppl drift the track I can post vids if you'd like, it's kinda like D1 except for amatuers. I plan to take the Z out for "grip" driving on the track tho I know it'll be a blast taking turns @ 100mph out there.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Anally Challenged

Looks like fun and I agree you could learn car control skills that would benefit you in real world driving but...yeah that could be an expensive way to kill time.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:59 AM

I think the reason people say Z's are 'bad for drifting' is because they're HEAVY.
Most people who drift use the mentality 'Lighter and more powerful' though I've heard the DK say, 'You can drift any car, really. What makes a good drift car is suspension and balance' [translated from Japanese]
Old 03-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Registered Drifter

The ppl I let drive my car were suprised it was stock suspension. They all sumed it up saying adding coilovers would make my car perfect (I know a good shock an spring combo essentially is just as good). The weight of the car wasn't that bad the overcome. hmm suprised Zlover hasn't said something by now. I assume he thnks I'm an idiot for drifting the Z haha!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:11 PM

I loathe coilovers because no one ever gets the right ones and completely crew up their suspension
Old 03-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm a Registered User!

I think that's awesome. I hate people who shoot ya down for doing something you like. I rallycross. Yeah, it's the dirtier more version of autoX and I love it. Same with drifting, there are other things but who cares!

Awesome man! I saw a good weight transfer on the second video :-D!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Über User

not bad, need more smoke, and less body roll. lol. also, the thing that makes Z32's bad drift cars is the weight balance, also you got hicas, its a VLSD, and not a deep enough steering ratio, like my S13 was the tightest turning car i've ever had, and then drifters still remove the stops off them to get a bit more out of the steering.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Registered Drifter

I started saturday off with 205's with like 30 series sidewall's in the rear there was plenty of smoke but no video's, I know of one vid that has me in a blaze of smoke for a few seconds I'll post it up. I ws trying to preserve my tires so I didn't have to borrow a set to drive home on. I had my "Super" Hicas switched off gotta love electronics!) VLSD isn't that bad. I plan on buying SPL Coilovers "jverz" so I'll be doing i right or Koni Yellows and Ground Controls if the price is right.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Registered Drifter

I'm only in it in the begining for like 3-4 seconds, that enough smoke for ya? You can see more to the back left of the track from me aswell
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tTGtnMYnww0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tTGtnMYnww0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Last edited by The_MuffinMan25; 03-24-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Über User

you spun, doesn't count lol
Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 PM

yeah those SPLs look good. My rule of thumb for coil overs was that they should be worth $1,200+.

It's those $500 coilovers that you want to avoid.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Registered Drifter

Yeah like godspeed and some other of the ebay brands I wouldn't trust em on my Z. Well hopefully I can get a replacement motor for my 240. Then the only video's I'll be postin of my Z will be @ the dragstrip and on the full track event later this year
Old 03-25-2009, 01:11 PM

can't wait to see em
Old 03-28-2009, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
not bad, need more smoke, and less body roll. lol. also, the thing that makes Z32's bad drift cars is the weight balance, also you got hicas, its a VLSD, and not a deep enough steering ratio, like my S13 was the tightest turning car i've ever had, and then drifters still remove the stops off them to get a bit more out of the steering.

Yeah, damn near perfect 50/50 weight distribution sucks for smoking your tires and looking like an idiot ricer.

Kinda makes you think the Z was meant to keep all 4 tires glued to the ground and go fast rather than flair your tires off in a turn.

Not to bag on Muffinman or anybody else that wants to go out and drift but the whole "300zx is bad for drifting" argument is about as "no ****" worthy as saying your Civic isn't good for pulling a trailer.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:07 AM

nice, alot better than my friend did when we went out there. He totalled his corolla...he hit that sewer man hole thing thats off to the left, you cant see it in the video but he hit it and got 5ft in the air and actually cracked his frame. should hed out there again...good times
Old 04-08-2009, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
not a deep enough steering ratio
BINGO!!! I think this is one of the main reasons you don't see too many z32's drifting. They do make a kit that corrects that. you should look into it, it would give you more control and probably save you from spinning out a few times I wouldn't drift my Z, but I am always glad to see owners enjoying their cars.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Über User

Originally Posted by Z_WRECKER
BINGO!!! I think this is one of the main reasons you don't see too many z32's drifting. They do make a kit that corrects that. you should look into it, it would give you more control and probably save you from spinning out a few times I wouldn't drift my Z, but I am always glad to see owners enjoying their cars.
probably ruins the rack though
Old 04-08-2009, 10:00 AM
NisTuner

I thought someone mentioned that another reason was due to the driver location seems to be a reason people stay away. You're really centrally located in the car where alot of the smaller cars have you sitting more forward closet to the front which makes it a bit easier to judge exactly where your front end is?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:59 PM

Hey man Im from roseville too, just wondering where this skid pad is.

Quick Reply: Took the Z to the skidpad this weekend...