300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

O2 Simulator for the Z32?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Gold Member

O2 Simulator for the Z32?

Hello everyone,

I'm seriously considering installing a test pipe onto my Twin Turbo....but I'm worried about the check engine light and all that it entails (safe mode?). Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows of a place or site where I can pick up O2 simulators for the Z32, and how affective they are. And besides the O2 simulator, what are my other options? Would changing the ecu itself (to perhaps JWT) work? Thanks!!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Über User

ummm... why would this happen? the O2 sensor is right after the turbo's they have bungs on the test pipes for them im sure and if not get them installed, dont run without an O2 sensor.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Gold Member

Bungs, you say? That actually helped alot....cuz searching for 300zx bungs brought up a number of hits. I'll start reading 'em asap....it goes to show that I must've been hanging around with them Z33 drivers too much and picked up on the whole O2 simulator phenomena.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Gold Member

Hey snowboarder.....you live in Lemont? I must've seen you at one of the Z-meets before.....were you at the one in April at the Ikea/Dave & Buster? I actually graduated from Downers South, but once when I was in college at UIC, I moved back into the city.

Anyways, do you know if the check engine light would even come on if I swapped out the cats with pipes? I got the ones from Z1motorsport. Maybe I'm all worried over nothing lol....
Old 08-16-2007, 12:39 PM
caught the z fever

you only have 2 O2s. theyre on the downpipes.

those two pipes going to your cats are there to warm them up. theyre called AIVs and you can remove them as well. they are under the front fenders
Old 08-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Über User

Originally Posted by Copper727
Hey snowboarder.....you live in Lemont? I must've seen you at one of the Z-meets before.....were you at the one in April at the Ikea/Dave & Buster? I actually graduated from Downers South, but once when I was in college at UIC, I moved back into the city.

Anyways, do you know if the check engine light would even come on if I swapped out the cats with pipes? I got the ones from Z1motorsport. Maybe I'm all worried over nothing lol....
hmmm.... no never got to make it to any of the chicago Z-meets. cool to see your from DGS i know a couple girls from there. i used to have a Z32 but now i got a pain in the *** 260Z maybe once it runs reliably you'll see me.

EDIT: however i do go to strats every now and then on north avenue or streets of woodfield. and i saw a guy with a Zdriver stick on his TT but it was aztec red.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Gold Member

Hmmm....that sounds like RizZSpeed's car, but I'm sure theres a ton of red Z's out there. Anyhoo, Z1 just emailed me and told me that my test pipes should arrive tomorrow.....I guess I still have 24 hrs to decide whether or not to do it.

I've been told that there will be "considerable" gain in hp though! But who knows if that'll be true...
Old 08-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Über User

supporting mods, test pipes exhaust intake and reflash your supposed to make 400hp, go further like bigger SMIC's and injectors you can get more. oh and its not rizz he had a 2+2 the one i saw was a TT and boviously a 2 seater. and wait till you get the test pipes, chances are if thats where teh O2 sensors go then teh test pipes will have a fitting for them already. so just chillax till they come.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:06 PM

im pretty sure

we have 4 02 sensors on the turbo Z 2 pre and 2 post Turbo me thinks.

after 4krpm I don't think they monitor anything anymore but down pipes should give you a place to screw them into.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:07 AM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by b300z
those two pipes going to your cats are there to warm them up. theyre called AIVs and you can remove them as well. they are under the front fenders
Yeah, I see them. Now, once I remove them, do I have to plug up whereever they're coming from? Thanks!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:02 AM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by Copper727
Yeah, I see them. Now, once I remove them, do I have to plug up whereever they're coming from? Thanks!
once you install the test pipes, you can just take out the AIVs. its an easy job.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

As stated, test pipes have no effect on O2 sensors for 90-95 TT's (96TT's are another story, as they are OBD-II).

AIV's can be eliminated, they're pretty useless. And if you get a JWT ECU, it's programmed to eliminate the AIV functions anyway, so you'd also be eliminating it on the electronic end while optomizing your air/fuel curve and other things.

www.ChicagoZ.com by the way, if you're not a member yet.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Gold Member

Hey ZLover4Life, were you at the Autobarn Nissan yesterday?? I think someone told me there was gonna be another Z32 there (I'm guessing they were talking about you), but it ended up being a whole LOTTA Z33 & G35s.....and only my one single Z32. Felt sorta like a loner, and left out.....but also special & kinda unique in a way.

ANyways, Marc from Autobarn told me to stop by tomorrow morning and he'd help me blow-torch the sucker off! Damn, I didn't know the test pipes would be such a hastle....but I should've expected as much. It was the same when my buddies and I changed my catback ourselves....ended up snapping 3 of the 4 bolts attaching the cats. Marc & Chris said something about the extreme heat and the bolts being weakened and it being a real pain in the @$$. (Hey, I can say @$$ on the forum, right??) And now I have to get my lazy butt up at 7 in the morning to get over there so they'd hook me up with all their nice tools again.

Anyhoo, wish me luck (the waking up part, that is), and I think there's a Z meet coming up this Sunday. Maybe I'll meet you over there. Btw, I just signed up with ChicagoZ like literally a minute ago.....I hope its as cool as ZDriver!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Daryl (dummy on ChicagoZ.com, silver TT owner) and I were supposed to go to Autobarn yesterday... I don't know why he didn't go, but I'm honestly fed up with my Z at this point. I was chasing an elusive oil leak and I'm just sick of doing it. After spending 2 weeks replacing rod bearings, turbos, heads, and a bunch of other sh*t, I have no motivation left to keep working on it this year.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Gold Member

Oh, and I'm suppose to bring a pair of ONE INCH DIAMETER anodized/stainless steel bolt/pipe/bar/whatever with me to plug up the AIV hoses. I tried checking out Home Depot, but they don't have them in that size. Any ideas? I have 17 hours left and counting....
Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Daryl (dummy on ChicagoZ.com, silver TT owner) and I were supposed to go to Autobarn yesterday... I don't know why he didn't go, but I'm honestly fed up with my Z at this point. I was chasing an elusive oil leak and I'm just sick of doing it. After spending 2 weeks replacing rod bearings, turbos, heads, and a bunch of other sh*t, I have no motivation left to keep working on it this year.
I remember this one pic I have from the April Z meet where several of the nicest Z32s were lined up. Are you & Daryl in the pic? I'm the curiously bastard on the far right checking out somebody's chromed out plenum & blowoff valves lmao...

And hang in there with your Z man.....I'm sure someday she'll come to appreciate ALL the hard work you've put into her...
Old 08-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

mine and Daryl's cars weren't running in April (both cars were down for engine work and larger turbos), so neither of us were making it to meets.

my car...

Daryl's car...
Old 08-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Über User

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
trade ya cars randy! lol, no leaks left on my car, replacing the ecu and distributor in a few days so it should be able to start after it has been rained on (its in the garage though but even humidity can get the best of it) is thats all thats left on your z is an oil leak? pshh....
Old 08-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
trade ya cars randy! lol, no leaks left on my car, replacing the ecu and distributor in a few days so it should be able to start after it has been rained on (its in the garage though but even humidity can get the best of it) is thats all thats left on your z is an oil leak? pshh....
It's not a small oil leak. It's either the oil filter tree or the passenger's side turbo... I'm not motivated enough to figure out which it is (I think it's more likely the oil filter tree).

And if there's cash included in the deal, I'd definately consider it. The S30 is so much more simple that it's very appealing to me right now... and considering I never use my 500+hp, I question if I would be disappointed to trade it for less. And if I were disappointed, L28T's don't cost much.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Über User

why would you need an l28et? under my hood = this son!

that was the build pics. this is the current pics.... other than the interior its a little cleaner now to

see... the way i figured it, my compression is still at factory specs on the car.... (thats right at brand new factory specs) and sooo being an NA motor and teh compression ratio is like 8.8:1 and the turbo comp ratio of 8.5:1 i figured.... swap out every thing thats different between the motors (harness ecu dustributor oil pump oil pump shaft manifolds turbo injectors etc.) i could make a slightly more superior turbo motor. got the front mount mounted need to get the piping for it, get the exhaust made up but on my new intake manifold since its cleaner (non webbed and non egr) powder coat it and the valve cover blue, put my electric fan in, get a bov since there isnt one and after the stock 7psi im going to be worried about compressor surge. id have a pretty sweet turbo s30. if you werent so discriminante about going on only the z32 section you'd know this. lol.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Gold Member

Wow! That is an absolutely amazing job snowboarder!! A total SLEEPER.....right before you smoke somebody, POW!

FYI, the test pipes are in and they're fantastic! I finally found a big ol' pair of 3/4 inch bolts at a mom & pop store up in the northside, and they were a perfect fit for the AIV hoses! And to dispel all rumors and urban legends, NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came on, no foul odor, no rattling, and it was NOT LOUD at all (maybe just a LITTLE deeper...and these were the non-resonated straight-pipes). Almost undetectable especially if you have a good sound system, so whoever started all those urban legends should be shot, hung, quartered, and sold on eBay....

Thanks again to everyone for all you help!

P.S. Errr.....if anyone asks, this was for off-road use only, of course......... *koff koff* And I'll make it up to mother nature next weekend by planting a tree.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:32 PM
caught the z fever

i dont know where you heard this check engine light problem...

since youre not using the AIVs anymore, next time you have your front wheels off, remove the inner fender lining, and remove the AIV systems
Old 08-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Über User

thanks. sorry for the quik thread jack though. and yeah check engine would come on if you actually did something such as removing O2 sensors but not an issue with these. the AIV's are bogus luckily for us OBD1 and OBD0 guys we dont need to do emmissions anymore in the lovely state of IL. i got some parts on the way BTW so ill try to make it to a chicago Z meet or something if its a really nice day out. id like to see your TT