300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

New to Z scene.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 11:22 AM

New to Z scene.

Thought I would take a moment to introduce myself and my Z.

I grew up wrenching on cars, and up and 'til now was a muscle car kind of guy. However, my dad has has 4 Z's (240Z, Z31, Z33 '06 Roadster, and currently Z33 '07 coupe loaded with Nismo mods).

So I had a chance to pick up a pretty clean and cheap Z32 2+2 (Have kids that I love to take with me) and I decided to jump in. I LOVE IT. It doesn't have gobs of power, but it handles like a beast... so I love it. Also, since I am in the Tech industry, I love the history of the technology that went into the car and its design.

Here are a few shots:

It came with an aftermarket leather kit... I am assuming based on the overall quality in a few areas and that I don't think this color combo was ever done by the factory. Other than that it was totally stock.

I have added:
-'03 Z33 17" staggered wheels. I like the OEM sleeper look, plus I want to upgrade the brakes since the stock ones are pretty awful.
-NT05 rubber. 255/40/17 in the rear, 235/45/17 in the front. Cheap and super sticky. HUGE performance upgrade.
-New clutch kit, seals, PCV's
-Z1 Aluminum Solid Tranny Mount
-Z1 Brass Shifter Bushings
-Z1 Polished Competition Shift **** and finisher.
-Custom Fabbed H-Pipe replacing resonators.

Future Plans:
-Eventually an engine swap. The VG30DE isn't bad, but not that exciting, and I have read that they don't really handle upgrades well. So I am thinking between the TT swap, VG45DE, or a LS7 from a Z06. (Don't persecute me for the last idea...it may not be true to JDM, but it would still be badass).
-Bigger brakes. Prob just Z1's 13" upgrade with the Baer discs.
-Short throw shifter.
-All new exhaust. -No idea which route want to go.
-Coil overs - No idea yet.
-New interior- Thinking Cardinal red leather fronts, black leather sides and rears with cardinal red stiching (ala 2014 f-150 limited interior), new center dash panels with the double DIN mod, black alcantera steering wheel re-wrap and side panels. Polished Z1 gauge rings.
-JDM Tails and front bumper cover with shaved license plate mount.
-TT rear spoiler.

Looking forward to learning from everyone here and getting some awesome ideas for the future.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:58 AM

Welcome, nice car.

As for the brakes being awful, it depends on one's perspective. I've owned a couple 80s GM G-bodies that make Fred Flintstone's brakes look good.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:01 PM

Nice! Hope you and your family get much enjoyment out of the car. Z32's are not known for their brake pedal feel. Nissan chose not to allow the "pulsing" feel normally associated with ABS brakes to be felt, and early road tests spoke of a rather disjointed or non-linear pedal feel compared to what the car was actually doing.

That said, the car will stop RIGHT NOW if called upon to do so. My brakes have been slightly upgraded with stock size cross-drilled, slotted rotors but are otherwise stock (don't know what brand pads--I bought it that way), and I had to come to an emergency stop the other day. Car stopped in a VERY short distance and avoided what coupl have been an ugly incident.