300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

New Z owner, new to the forum, and need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 10:23 PM

New Z owner, new to the forum, and need some help.

Nice to meet you guys! I live in Las Vegas and recently bought a 1990 300zx that is in need of some love. I've attached a picture of it for everyone

I don't have a lot of experience working on cars or using forums, so any help or advice I can get is appreciated.

I had it in the shop for awhile to fix some leaks, bad fuel pump, spark plugs, wiring problems, etc. Recently the battery died, so I jumped it, drove it halfway through my apartment complex and it died. I jumped it again and this time let the battery charge through the cables for a few minutes, then tried the old disconnect the battery while its running to test the alternator trick and it died right away. So I replaced the alternator, but it's still having the same problem.

The car was sitting for a long time, and it seems like the previous owner didn't know what he was doing with it because it has all sorts of electrical problems. I'm wondering if there may be some faulty wiring that is causing the alternator to not work. I was hoping to get some input from you guys before I try to tackle rewiring it or taking it to a shop again. I tried doing some searches for alternator issues but nothing turned up.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails New Z owner, new to the forum, and need some help.-300zx.jpg  
Old 07-05-2014, 08:07 AM

Welcome to ZDriver! Your new Z will keep you busy for a while, looks like. Pick yourself up a free factory service manual at XenonZ32.com Reference and the other docs there. They will come in very handy.

Your manual has all the electrical diagrams which, when you figure out how to read them, will show you how the car was wired before previous owners renovated it. Probably a good place to start your search. For best results, take the electrical diags to a pro print shop and print them at 11x17 so you can haul the orig diags around the car and get grease on them. Easier to read that way.

Our Z32 pros here are happy to help you as you work on her. Hot car you got there. She will be a knockout in Sin City when you are finished, definitely a babe magnet for higher quality babes!

Thanks and welcome!

Last edited by zxguy1986; 07-05-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:09 PM

Update

Thanks man, I love it so far (when it runs). I checked out the service manual, some useful stuff there. I've been looking for one ever since I got the car. Do you know if the sell an actual physical book anymore? When I download it though a couple of the chapters are corrupted, anyone else have that problem?

Turns out I was right, the wires to the alternator were fried. The mechanic tells me a couple of the seals are leaking and the rest look pretty bad, so he wants to rebuild the whole engine, gaskets, valves, headers, the works. he says the full rebuild will cost about $4000. My question is, is he just trying to get money from me? And if not, should I go for a rebuild, or just buy another engine?

Last edited by ReaperHugs; 07-14-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:43 PM

Yeah, you must look wealthy. That mechanic isn't really giving you the advice he could give you if you looked a little poorer...

For a hard copy service manual, I'd Google for it and watch Ebay. They will show up. Otherwise, your 'corrupted' chapters are probably not corrupt in adjacent-year manuals. Download them and check out those chapters for accuracy... When you get a good set together, print it out locally (print shop) and have it spirally bound in maybe 2 volumes... for ease of use. My local shop charged me $100 but it was worth it.

You can start here by giving us more of the basics: 5-spd or AT, orig engine?, mileage, modifications in place if any, what EXACTLY have you done to it so far... and your ultimate goal with that Z. It sure does not look 'cared for' at this point. So, are you looking to have an older car that will eventually look and run like brand new - or do you like the older look as long as it runs well day to day. We can't tell from your posts what your goal is. There is no limit to the amount of $$ you can put into that Z - so you need to seriously think about that and let us know.

More photos would help along with the above info. Under the hood photos, too. Otherwise, you will just get guesses here - and that's obviously not what you need right now. Our Z32 guys are experts if you give them the info they need. Be clear with them. And if you get a dialog going with them, don't take a week to check back in here. Your thread will be forgotten by then...

Thanks!

Last edited by zxguy1986; 07-14-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:02 PM

Ha, I don't think I look rich, but I'll remember to dress like a bum next time I go to a mechanic.

That's a good idea about the manual, I'll have to look into it. Now for info about the car. I don't know everything, and the guy I bought it from seemed to have no idea what he was doing and didn't know much about the car.

5 speed NA, I was told it used to have an aftermarket turbo on it, but not anymore. I don't know if it's the original engine or not. Odometer says just over 117,000 miles. It has the wrong radiator in it, this radiator has no reservoir, and the original reservoir has been removed. The rest of the car looks like it's been stripped down to reduce wight. Previous owner said the car used to be used for drifting by the owner before him. Shifter bracket looks like it broke and they tried to repair it, shift boot and everything is missing and the shifter is held in place by a single strip of metal bolted to it. The AC does not work, and the wiring is all messed up. The headlights weren't even connected when I got the car, there are random cut wires in places (see pictures) and random things don't work, like the mirror controls. The air turns on but the **** that switches where the air comes from doesn't work, the gas gauge moves but is horribly inaccurate, the oil gauge sits at zero, random stuff like that. I'm also not sure the temp gauge is working because it hits halfway and then never moves, but down by my feet it gets uncomfortably hot. This car definitely has not been cared for.

The work I've had done on it: Fuel pump, Alternator, Battery, Knock sensor, Spark plugs, Thermostat, belts and hoses in the engine, manifold gasket, cleaned out the gas tank (apparently it had sand and debris in it), flushed the radiator, replaced some broken wheel studs, and replaced the tires.

My first priority is getting it running good. I wan't something that will be fun to drive, and that I can drive day to day. Once I get it running good I can worry about how it looks. So yes, EVENTUALLY I want it to look and run like new. I have no intention of putting heavy mods into it or building a race car.

I appreciate the help and advice so far. Anything anyone can tell me or suggest would be greatly appreciated. I attached some pictures so you can get a better idea of what we are working with.
Attached Thumbnails New Z owner, new to the forum, and need some help.-img_20140619_124437.jpg   New Z owner, new to the forum, and need some help.-img_20140718_121804.jpg   New Z owner, new to the forum, and need some help.-img_20140718_121817.jpg   New Z owner, new to the forum, and need some help.-img_20140718_121904.jpg   New Z owner, new to the forum, and need some help.-img_20140718_121955.jpg  

New Z owner, new to the forum, and need some help.-img_20140718_122014.jpg   New Z owner, new to the forum, and need some help.-img_20140718_122058.jpg   New Z owner, new to the forum, and need some help.-img_20140718_122157.jpg   New Z owner, new to the forum, and need some help.-img_20140718_122213.jpg  
Old 07-18-2014, 02:34 PM

I bet a guy who admits to 'drifting' was also dragging it. That would explain the former 'turbo' addition. Probably blew your gaskets and seals a bit.

I'm not a Z32 guy so I leave that to our pros here. The $4K 'rebuild' is your call. I would definitely check recyclers in your area to see how many used motors there are out there and what the prices are. I'm guessing its usually easier and that means cheaper to drop another motor in than to rework whats there already. When the oil leaks/burns get to the point where you can't drive 50 miles without adding a quart, you'll decide what to do.

Meanwhile your mechanic buddy would love to put in all those hours on your dime.

Go to car-part.com and put your model in, your zip, search for 'engine' and sort the results by distance from your zip. There are your 'neighborhood' recyclers and the range of motor prices (it will be a wide range). If they are within driving distance, call them to see if they still have the Z on the lot and ask to see it. Check odom for miles - and look at all the other parts you might want. Work out a deal with the lot owner. You will be amazed at how reasonable used parts can be compared to new. And they're all OEM! A lot owner here lets me remove them myself which is great. Zero labor on his side gets me the parts even cheaper.

For a clue to the labor for dropping in another motor, we did a complete '86na motor swap in about 12 hours, including removal of dead motor and pizza+beer breaks. Started right up! That was 3 years ago. Got the motor (VG30E, 94K miles) for $350, paid mechanic about $800. Misc parts & fluids $100. Still runs perfect. But of course... it is a Z!

Last edited by zxguy1986; 07-18-2014 at 07:31 PM.