300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

New Guy Here...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:39 PM

New Guy Here...

Hey fellas, Names Preston... My brother recently bought a 93 300zx NA / Auto with a blown head gasket.. He picked it up for cheap and we are trying to get it running for cheap.. I am doing all of the work on the car..
I've put a new starter and water pump on it, Got a complete head gasket set and timing set ready to go on.

The heads are at the machine shop, The man said that they are warped .023 and he says it will need new heads.

My question is, Is it possible to mill the heads, say ~.030 and slap them back on maybe with a slightly thicker head gasket to make up for a little?

Thank you guys in advance, As you can see i am in a tight spot and i'd really appreciate any advice
Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 PM

Sorry for the double post...

I forgot to mention, im a tuner and i greatly appreciate these Z cars.. When i stare at the 300 my pants get tight ;-)

Also if there are any performance mods i should do while ive got it torn down, please fill me in! Im searching the forums trying to scavenge some knowledge up..

Thanks!!
- Preston
Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 PM

Ive found a MLS Head Gasket.. The stock HG is .045 thick, They have a .074 thick HG (.029 thicker than stock.)

Would it be a safe assumtion that i could mill my heads .030 and use these headgaskets and everything be okay? It seems like this is the only route, besides getting new heads$$$.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Cap

Welcome.. Your about Two Elbows deep into this thing..

I can't tell you how much you can take off..

But my Problem is.. will the Cams still Turn?.. If your warping the Head that far, things are not going to line up anymore..

Pull the Lifters, and put the Cams back in the Head.. they should turn FREE.. no drag..

I've got a 95 NA Z, Im in past the two elbows.. think I'm up to my Shoulders..

It's going back together.. SLOWLY.. I'm at Cam Re-Timing now..

Be aware of the Two Different Style of Heads.. Early Style for the Early Injectors, Have a Casting Number of L-30P and Late Style, for the Late Injectors have a casting Number of L-10Y..

I had to replace BOTH of mine, as they were cracked from Overheat.. I would Sugest you get your Pressure Checked BEFORE you do any work on them.. Mine were BOTH cracked in the Cam Bucket Oil Passage.. and the Heads were still FLAT.. just needed a 0.002 to clean. My head guy ALWAYS pressure Checks EVERY head.. so we did not get too deep into it..

The Different Heads Castings was a Mystery to me.. Till I put $1K worth of head work into the Wrong Casting Type..

After some Cusing and Searching. I was able to Port Match the 'Old Style Heads', to the New Style Injector Rail..

Good Luck..

Cap

Last edited by Cap; 06-21-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Ruff Ryder

If your heads are that warped to that point, I would say the whole the motor is trash. And no..
Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 PM

I'm chopping up a 93 na convertible right now with 96k on it cuz the injectors are shot and i'm NOT A TUNER (if you need any parts (heads)). Still got every piece of her.

Sorry I know this doesn't answer your question, but if you need something just hit me up.

In Virginia btw.