300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Need Some Help With (TPS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:32 PM

Need Some Help With (TPS)

I have an issues with my TPS sensor, i replaced the sensor and when i was tightening the screws back on i broke both the top and bottom one.. I need and easy fix to this, i was going to drill out the old one's and re tap the holes, but i was afraid there wasn't enough materiel there to tap without splitting the metal around the throttle body's, Do i have to buy a bran new TB? or can i drill and tap the hole.. or is there another way to fix this that i am missing? I would have thought Nissan would have made these screws a little stronger... But i guess not.. Is this a common problem people run into or am i just the idiot who doesn't know his own strength, thanks for the help.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Made them stronger? You're not supposed to tighten the **** out of them. Snug is all they need to be to do their job.

Try to drill and tap it to see if you can save yourself some money. You might need a new throttle body, though.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 05-26-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Pr0n Addict

the typical way to take care of delicate situations like this would be to drill the screw with a very small drill bit, then a little larger one, but don't drill out the whole screw, just get a hold through the middle of it. that releases its pressure in the hole and you can cut notches or something in the end of it and work it out with a slotted screwdriver. another, even easier method, would be to drill them with a reverse thread drill bit just a little smaller than the screw. usually, the screw will just start turning out once the drill bit is in far enough, and it comes out on the bit.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:59 PM

both of those were great ideas i usually use the reverse drill idea its worked wonders for my retarded overtighting problems. if your lazy and got some cash just go pop off another tb and grab some new gaskets in the junk yard. what like 20 bucks if u pull it?