300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Looking to buy 300zx, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:06 AM

Looking to buy 300zx, what do you think?

Alright so I have recently become a big fan of the 300zx and started looking everywhere to get one. I found a '93 2+2 manual with 115k miles on a local craigslist at a decent price.

He's asking 3,000 for it and the only issue is that it will need some cosmetic work. I know someone at a local body shop who can repaint at a fair price.

Is there anything to be cautious of when buying a 300zx like this? What are some things to look for in the engine when buying a 300zx?

I'm skeptical going into this but if the only downside is the body work, it seems like this would be a nice deal.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2015, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lionzilla
I'm skeptical going into this but if the only downside is the body work, it seems like this would be a nice deal.
You may have a favorite local mechanical or you may have to ask around, but I would pay the $50 to 100 that most independent mechanics would charge for a full inspection including time on a hoist to inspect the suspension, drive train and body work underneath. If the owner balks at having this done, walk away. I would not worry about things with normal wear and tear as those can be fixed as time and money permit. Have the mechanic pay attention to aftermarket modifications that may cost you money to correct. Ask the owner if the timing belt on the engine has every been replaced. See if the owner has service records to share. I am always suspicious when I see new body panels installed for purely cosmetic reasons.

Last edited by ken99; 07-03-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I'd be more concerned about what looks like rust on the rockers than anything else.

The 93 non-turbos had the newer-style injectors, so the major pain point of earlier cars is a non-issue for that one.

I'm not sure if the non-turbos had power steering issues, but I know the 90-93 Twin Turbos had high pressure power steering lines that were prone to failure, so make sure the PS system works and is leak-free. (Note that it takes ATF, not PS fluid, if you have to top it off to search for leaks.)

Other than that, I don't think there's anything major to look out for. Make sure the rubber hoses in the engine bay are in good shape (there are a lot of vacuum hoses and chasing vacuum leaks can be a PITA), make sure the wiring is in good shape...

I also think $3k is a bit much for a non-turbo in that condition, so I'd try to talk him down to $2500 or better.