ZDriver.com

ZDriver.com (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/)
-   300ZX (Z32) Forums (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-forums-7/)
-   -   Gas mileage? (https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-forums-7/gas-mileage-17524/)

entropy31 03-26-2006 11:14 PM

chopped up bodies in the tire well is my guess. and, just a maybe, you do know its a 5 speed, right....:p

91Zman 03-29-2006 04:21 PM

i'm really hoping that this isn't a bad injector. Is there any way to check the injectors?

This bad milage is killing me i hope it's not anything big =(

*edit* Replacing fuel filter before school tomorrow, hopefully that will help.

Comorat2x2 03-30-2006 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by entropy31
chopped up bodies in the tire well is my guess. and, just a maybe, you do know its a 5 speed, right....:p

LOL.....thats so bad but the mental picture of someone running around town at 23 mph and 8000 RPM complaining about bad gas miliage is pretty damn funny :037:

As for checking fuel injectors outside of usuing specific equipment, I would only know of taking it to the shop and having your fuel system checked out. Probally something you should do anyways.

91Zman 03-30-2006 09:29 PM

ALAS! problem solved. I was running on 5 cylinders....the harness connected to cylinder 2 was disconnected. I had a guy check my timing tonight, checks out, and i also had a guy connect his ECU diagnostic softwear up to my car and no codes pulled. So hopefully problem solved.

Comorat2x2 03-30-2006 11:09 PM

Ooof...I would highly recommend getting your car checked out then and as soon as you can. Running sans one cylinder is not healthy for the engine and it sounds like you've been doing it for a while. On the upside you found hte root cause of your problem, solved it and if there was anything else wrong you most likely would have noticed by now.

If there is one thing you can count on with these cars is them lettingyou know if something is not 100% right :D

jfairladyz 03-31-2006 12:03 AM

A disconnected injector wont hurt anything. There are cars on the market that actually cut out cylinders to save on fuel while cruising. As long as it's the fuel you're cutting out then it's no problem. But if the difference between a car thats designed to do it and this instance is that the ECU on those cars knows whats going on. On these cars the ECU will get a lean reading from the O2 sensor (only oxygen coming out of dead cylinder) so it will richen the mixture. That's where the excessive fuel consumption comes into play. Other than that you're just wasting a spark ;)

But a dead cylinder wont damage anything. Just make you run rich. And of course you're losing power having only 5 cylinders.

91Zman 03-31-2006 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Comorat2x2
Ooof...I would highly recommend getting your car checked out then and as soon as you can. Running sans one cylinder is not healthy for the engine and it sounds like you've been doing it for a while. On the upside you found hte root cause of your problem, solved it and if there was anything else wrong you most likely would have noticed by now.

If there is one thing you can count on with these cars is them lettingyou know if something is not 100% right :D

I got it fixed. I was at the International Motorsports car meet last night and theres at least 8 other Z32 guys out there and they all were working under the hood to find what was wrong. Simply a connector was loose and they put it back on. They all do their own work on their cars so its a good thing for me.

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
A disconnected injector wont hurt anything. There are cars on the market that actually cut out cylinders to save on fuel while cruising. As long as it's the fuel you're cutting out then it's no problem. But if the difference between a car thats designed to do it and this instance is that the ECU on those cars knows whats going on. On these cars the ECU will get a lean reading from the O2 sensor (only oxygen coming out of dead cylinder) so it will richen the mixture. That's where the excessive fuel consumption comes into play. Other than that you're just wasting a spark ;)

But a dead cylinder wont damage anything. Just make you run rich. And of course you're losing power having only 5 cylinders.

Yeah thats why i was getting bad gas milage, fuel was going to that cylinder and just coming straight out of the exhaust. Now that the problem is solved my car is alot quiter.

Comorat2x2 04-02-2006 04:57 AM

Good deal, glad to hear it :D

I'm also surprised to hear that running minus one cylinder won't hurt anything but gas mileage......my mechanic had made some referance to things like that destroying pistons and the like....don't believe everything you hear eh? lol