300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Opinionated

Gas mileage?

What type of gas milage are you getting from your Z32's?

I'm getting about 200 a tank
Old 03-22-2006, 07:44 PM
caught the z fever

thats horrible if you are driving normally

im getting about 250 usually, and thats still low

around 300+ is a good normal mileage for each tank
Old 03-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by b300z
thats horrible if you are driving normally

im getting about 250 usually, and thats still low

around 300+ is a good normal mileage for each tank
I mean its an NA with ups on it, but none of which i belive would be using so much gas....
Old 03-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Opinionated

Also my A/F ratio guage isn't throwing any "rich" readings, i normally set the cruise control and make sure my guage is reading in the Stoich area.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:58 PM

Well, if that's the case then something else is dinked up. I average about 310 per tank of 91 octane and thats in off hour LA traffic....which basically translates to stop and go sometimes, normal 65+ freeway speeds most times and 85+ on the weekends when I 'm the only one on the road. I toss a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and a bottle of octane booster in every 3 or 4 tanks, keep my tires at 33-35 psi and just do all that other smart gas mileage crap you're supposed to.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:52 AM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by Comorat2x2
Well, if that's the case then something else is dinked up. I average about 310 per tank of 91 octane and thats in off hour LA traffic....which basically translates to stop and go sometimes, normal 65+ freeway speeds most times and 85+ on the weekends when I 'm the only one on the road. I toss a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and a bottle of octane booster in every 3 or 4 tanks, keep my tires at 33-35 psi and just do all that other smart gas mileage crap you're supposed to.
i've been running 91 octane. I'm going to poke around my engine for gas leaks and see what turns up.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:24 AM
Jack Of All Trades

I'm in the 300 - 320 mile range per tank too. The last I checked my freeway mileage, I was getting 22 - 23 miles per gallon.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Opinionated

Found a gas leak. Its on the left side of the air Plenum right in front of the last "rib" for lack of better terminology. Its about a 4 inch peice of rubber pipe connecting on either end to metal intakes and i think the c-clamp is cutting into the pipe. I just got back from school and i popped the hood and i could watch the fuel drip off the bolt on the c-clap onto a little black box. there was a little steam from the gas as well...not very reasuring. Anyone know what size this rubber fuel line is that i need to replace? Also, im looking to getting an in car fire extinguisher now, just incase...ideas on that?
Old 03-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Opinionated

Alright. Well i moved my C-clamp farther up the gas line so im pretty sure its fixed. I took it for a drive around the block and then popped the hood and there wasn't any fuel leaking. I'm glad that was an easy fix *knock on wood*. I had a little scare when i first started my engine and watched for the leak. Some of the fuel that came out of the lines started to smoke off and i was like oh great =(.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Jack Of All Trades

I would just take the time and replace all of those fuel lines. It's 5/16" diameter. There's the one that was leaking and one next to it. If you look aft of the fuel filter, there's another two running down by the firewall. Then there's another short piece buried under the pressure regulator and a short piece at the front of the motor by the throttle linkage. I dunno if you can get the front piece off with the plenum on, but you can get to the clamp with a screwdriver.

Is not replacing them worth the chance of having a fire?
Old 03-23-2006, 04:57 PM

gas mileage

Originally Posted by 91Zman

I am getting around 23/24 on the freeway and around 18/19 around town, I filled up today and it she had 310 miles on the odometer. My son said he is getting around the same. He was getting about what your are getting and then he changed his fuel filter and tightened all other fuel lines and now he is getting what he is now. He has the 91 tt.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:00 PM

Stickers

Yes, I would like 4 of the 1/4 window stickers.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 90300zxtt
Yes, I would like 4 of the 1/4 window stickers.
I think you might want to put that in this thread: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showt...t=14047&page=7
Old 03-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Opinionated

the hose wasn't the problem. It was simply the fact that the clamp slid a little to far down and wasn't holding the fuel line on properly. I relocated it and torqued it down and problem solved. Already see a huge differece in milage. I've gotten 75 miles off a little less than a 1/4 tank so far. normally I'd be around 1/2 a tank at this point.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:44 PM

the hose wasn't the problem. It was simply the fact that the clamp slid a little to far down and wasn't holding the fuel line on properly. I relocated it and torqued it down and problem solved. Already see a huge differece in milage. I've gotten 75 miles off a little less than a 1/4 tank so far. normally I'd be around 1/2 a tank at this point.
Very cool. Just give your engine a once over after this tank and see if anything needs to be tightened. Then do all teh other dumb crap we're supposed to do, check air filter for dirt, check oil to see if it needs to be changed, use synthetic if it does. Check tire pressure, consider a front and rear allignment if you haven't had that done in a while, drive around in overdrive whenever possible....blah blah blah. Fuel filter is always a good one to have replaced if you haven't done that for a while too and make sure your gas cap is on tight.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:01 PM

i must have a gas leak to beacuse im only getting 200 miles on one tank, and i also can smell gas when the engine is cold comming through the vents i wish it was as easy of a fix as yours but i have looked all over and cant find any leaks.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by II300IIZXII
i must have a gas leak to beacuse im only getting 200 miles on one tank, and i also can smell gas when the engine is cold comming through the vents i wish it was as easy of a fix as yours but i have looked all over and cant find any leaks.
Go to www.300zxclub.com and then do a search for "fuel leaks" or "gas smell" or anything of that nature, read all the threads they have, it should be of some assistance.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:15 AM

geez ive seen so many fuel leak problems with these cars, i just fixed mine.
i replaced all the hoses except the one in the front, i missed that one.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Opinionated

I take back what i said, im still having bad milage.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Comorat2x2
Very cool. Just give your engine a once over after this tank and see if anything needs to be tightened. Then do all teh other dumb crap we're supposed to do, check air filter for dirt, check oil to see if it needs to be changed, use synthetic if it does. Check tire pressure, consider a front and rear allignment if you haven't had that done in a while, drive around in overdrive whenever possible....blah blah blah. Fuel filter is always a good one to have replaced if you haven't done that for a while too and make sure your gas cap is on tight.
Eh, yeah fuel filter... Im pretty sure I had the origional one when I bought the car at 150k miles and was getting 10mpg, then I put a new one in and get about 28mph highway and 18 city (san diego)
Old 03-26-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by II300IIZXII
Tighten all the clamps on all the black hoses in the engine bay it will probably get rid of most of your problem
Old 03-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Opinionated

My gas milage still sucks. I have no gas leaks though, i've already checked for smell, sight, ect. What would be causing me to have poor gas milage? where should i start? Change the fuel filter? what else?
Old 03-26-2006, 02:37 PM

fuel filter, air filter, pvc valve, tire pressure, o2 sensors, etc... The list goes on as to what can affect fuel economy. Start with the simple stuff like making sure your tire pressure is good and that your air filter is in good shape. Then start looking to replace parts that cant so easily be seen as bad. When was the last time any of that stuff was checked and/or replaced?

And if all else fails make sure you're not dragging 2 tons of dead weight behind your car
Old 03-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Opinionated

Originally Posted by jfairladyz
fuel filter, air filter, pvc valve, tire pressure, o2 sensors, etc... The list goes on as to what can affect fuel economy. Start with the simple stuff like making sure your tire pressure is good and that your air filter is in good shape. Then start looking to replace parts that cant so easily be seen as bad. When was the last time any of that stuff was checked and/or replaced?

And if all else fails make sure you're not dragging 2 tons of dead weight behind your car
I have alot of weight in the back since its all custom sub box ect ect...wood...
Old 03-26-2006, 11:10 PM

I have alot of weight in the back since its all custom sub box ect ect...wood...
There isnt a speaker box in the world that you could install in that car that would cut your gas milage by 100 miles a tank that wasn't made of lead and required you to drag an anchor out the back to power it.

Get a tune up, check your air pressure, run some fuel injector cleaner through that bad boy and make sure your suspension is in alignment.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage?