300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

First Z need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:02 AM

First Z need help!!

How's it going guys? On Monday Feb 6th i bought my first Nissan 300zx, 1990 2+2 with 140kmiles for 2100$. I love the car so far, and i just came apon my first problem. she has a small leak that seems to be coming from the right side of the engine. She doesnt overheat, but the oil pressure does read low. The P.O said that he out 20w-50 as the oil, and ive read that the lower the first number and the higher the 2nd number for oil is best for the Z's engine. could that be part of the problem? Would really appreciate some feedback.Thanks a bunch.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Horsepower Mathematician

Welcome and congrats on your first Z! By a small leak I take it you mean an oil leak? Have you actually seen the leak? These cars are known for pressure sending unit malfunction/failure which can give you all sorts of weird oil pressure readings. And about the type of oil to use, refer to the service manual:

http://300zx-twinturbo.com/cgi-bin/manual.cgi
Old 02-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Cap

I too will say.. Congrats on your First Z..

I have first hand knowledge of the Funky readings from the Pressure Sender.. It's located under the Car, right side.. Between the Exhaust and the Engine.. It's got a heat shield.. careful of the wire.. it's brittle by now..

120K is a good millage.. I just opened up a somewhat abused 200k Miles '95.. really good shape..

If you end up with oil pressure problems, it's possable to replace the bearings while the engine is still in the car.. ( How do I know this??.. )

so drive it and have fun..

They have been acused of being underpowered for the size of car.. ( NA ).. but I like it..

You can add a lot of things to the engine.. but it won't help.. unless it's a turbo or two..

Keep it clean.. they look great..

Cap
Old 02-09-2012, 10:46 AM

Thanks alot guys for responding I really appreciate it. i think it might be a malfunction with the oil pressure gauge because I turned it on when I got out of class and it was reading normal(under 60 over 30) but out of no where it just dropped when I drove it around for a bit.

Oh and another thing, occasionally when I shift to first from a stop I hear and feel a kind of a *clunck*. Normal for 300's???
Old 02-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Cap

OIL Pressure:..

Make sure you have enough oil.. the Dip Stick can be hard to read.. Double Check the Readings TWICE.. that is why I know how to change the bearings in the car

Clunks..

Two Places I know about..

Drive shaft center carrier bearing..
Dif rubber Mount Bushings..

ALSO.. check for 'Torque Steer'.. when you gas it.. does the car shift right or left, and you have to compensate with the steering wheel?..

If so, then the Rubbers in the rear arms need replacing.. No fun..

Cap