300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

First time Z owner! First post and I'm stoked!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 07:48 PM

First time Z owner! First post and I'm stoked!

Finally the proud owner of a Z32! I've wanted one of these since I was about 14. 11 years later I got my hands on one. 1990 N/A 2+0. Just wanted to say hello to everybody, I've spent a good deal of time troubleshooting on forums and I know there is a lot of support from fellow owners.
Now a bit about the car, it was running rough when I got it, probably because it had been sitting for about 2 years. Fresh gas, fluids still look new but I'll change them shortly. Noticed I was getting excessive fuel and spark was less than subpar. Coils all Ohm within spec, plugs are brand new PFR6G-11 (which I was told was pretty much the same as the 6B-11) tested ptu which is the newer version and found open circuit going to cylinders 1 and 5 which is obviously very bad. The dealership who worked on the car beforehand left all sorts of things disconnected from electrical to vacuum. But I think the PTU opened from a voltage spike. Why? The ground going to the back of the plenum was just floating on the bolt, loose. Cannot stress enough to check grounds.
Codes thrown for CTS, PTU, AFM and Fuel Temp Sensor which may be why the car is running so damn rich on the other 4 cylinders. White smoke like crazy from exhaust but I believe that is because I put a large concentration of seafoam in the tank with little gas. Oops. I know I should not be driving this car until the sensors are replaced and PTU is replaced but money is tight and I only have sub-2 miles to get it to my house.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:17 AM

Welcome to ZDriver!

Finally got your first Z! Congrats. She sounds solid and workable but needs some attention from you. Before you do any mods, see if you can get her back to 100%.

Check out your factory service manual (freebie at XenonZ32.com Reference ) - along with those other cool docs. Your FSM is paved with basic inspection and troubleshooting pages, easy to follow, let you know how it used to run before somebody failed to maintain it right. It's a great machine.

As you catch up on the get-it-ready-for-daily-driver stuff, you will have questions, so just ask away here. You seem to have a good bead on what needs to be done right now and the manual will help - so get familiar with it.

Just one thing, I think the SeaFoam instructions (maybe...?) suggest half a can max in a total fill-up tank of fuel - and this as like an afterthought, not the real purpose for SeaFoam. You probably don't want to run more than that. SeaFoam is pretty strong stuff and needs to be used carefully. Don't want to think what it might do if used wrong.

Please post some pics, inside and out, when you get a chance. They will turn us all on and get us interested in your new Z!

Thanks and welcome again.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 04-07-2015 at 12:19 AM.