300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Sam

Dimensions

Hello all its a been a while since i've posted here.. i just wanted to ask the guys with JWT pop chargers the exact size of the cone's duct and the overall size of the pop charger if this is possible since i got a JWT pop charger but unfortunately without the adapter plate so i need to make my own and i need to know the dimensions..N.B: the pop charger is not with me to take the exact sizes..
thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 AM
Sam

C'mon guys please a little help... Its been like 2 months i didnt post anything.. a little help is extremely appreciated..
Old 08-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I'd help you if I could... I'm over 300 miles away from my POP Charger, though. Why does it matter? Just make an adapter plate and be done with it. If it's an actual POP charger, you'll need to funnel the air down to the size of the MAF, because the POP Charger is WAY larger than the MAF's opening.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:03 AM
Sam

Ok thanks anyway. 1 last question tho why doesnt specialty z offer a socketed ECU and ask for a core charge just like the others ?? or it does?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

greg@specialtyz.com
sebastian@specialtyz.com

https://specialtyz.com/shop/sz-ecu-chips.html
Quick Overview
We offer or own line of custom chips to maximize your individual modifications and fuel requirements. At the moment we only offer 8-bit upgrades for the 1990-1994 TT and 1990-1992 NAs.

We offer just chips and also socketing services.

If you need socketing services please send your ECU with P.O. receipt to our address listed on the site.

Please call or e-mail us for more information.
They don't sell you the ECU, they sell you the chip... and you can either have your ECU socketed and install the chip, or you can send them your ECU and they will socket it for you (for a cost).

This saves them from having to stock up on a collection of ECUs and also the HUGE hassle involved in core refunds.

greg@specialtyz.com
sebastian@specialtyz.com

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 08-17-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Sam

i know they only offer thats why i asked why dont they offer an ecu with a core charge and i thought they might do in some cases that why i asked "or they do" anyway i"ll e-mail them to see if they can find me an ecu and i"ll pay for it and for its socketing services + the chip.
Thank you
Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

... why don't you go to a local electronics repair shop to have your ECU socketed? It would be cheaper...
Old 08-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Sam

U know u amaze me everytime ! You have saved me millions of hard time..
But is it safe to give a local electronics repair shop my ECU to be socketed or they may mess it up ? that's what i'm afraid of.. And This shop doesnt have to be a car-related one right ? and they should have Eprom sockets correct ?
Thanks alot this is the easiest way and buying the chip isnt gonna be a bit of a problem since i dont have to worry about customs and other shitty things XD
Btw a .38 boost jet is a good one or you suggest a different size?

Last edited by Sam; 08-18-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Any electronic repair shop will know how to solder in a socket. Call around to see if they stock the correct socket - I can't tell you if the places in your area have them (contrary to popular belief, I'm not psychic... psychics don't exist).

Regarding boost jet size, I hope you mean .038", because .38" won't fit in the line (I assume you're using inches as your measurement there). That's a good starting point, but every car is different - you may have to go smaller or larger to hit your target boost (smaller jets = more boost, but you don't want to overboost... stock injectors can't handle more than ~16psi, stock intercoolers can't handle much more than ~17psi with stock turbos, etc). You should be looking for 14-16psi.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 08-18-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Sam

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Call around to see if they stock the correct socket -

Regarding boost jet size, I hope you mean .038"

Actually i found an old computer VGA card that have a socket with 28 pins and a chip on it i removed the chip and i ill give them that VGA to remove the socket and solder it on the ECU..
The chip for the ECU have 28 pins so i guess its the correct size anyway i will check with it when i get the SZ chip..

Yes i'm sorry i meant .038" i will get them and the JWT pop charger from Z1 motorsports since other websites such as concept Z performance have .044" boost jets which as they say increases boost to just 12~13 psi.. However safer than the .038's
Any trustful website you recommend buying boostjets and the Pop charger from ? and what boost jets size do you suggest?

Last edited by Sam; 08-19-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Like I said before, the boost jet size you need to hit your target boost varies from car to car. And you don't have to buy them from anybody in the states, you can go to a hardware store and buy them... they're just welding tips. Buy pairs of a few different sizes and try them until you find the right size for your target boost (which should be ~14psi).

If you're placing an order with Specialty Z for the chip, why don't you just buy everything through them? Not only are they the most trustworthy shop, in my opinion, but it also doesn't make sense to place multiple orders and pay multiple shipping charges...
Old 08-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Sam

If you're placing an order with Specialty Z for the chip, why don't you just buy everything through them? Not only are they the most trustworthy shop, in my opinion, but it also doesn't make sense to place multiple orders and pay multiple shipping charges...
I don't know what welding tips is in arabic.. so i"ll just buy them, however SpecialtyZ don't offer boost jets in there products so i"ll e-mail greg to see if he can manage to get some and i"ll then buy the chip+pop charger+boost jets in the same order if he can't i"ll buy the pop charger+boost jets from Z1
thanks.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

You do know what a welder is, right? The tool that ignites a gas for the purpose of melting metal to permanently mend two metal pieces...

A welding tip is a part of a welder that goes on the end of the nozzle...

The ones that you want to get look like the one on the left:

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 08-19-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Sam

You do know what a welder is, right? The tool that ignites a gas for the purpose of melting metal to permanently mend two metal pieces...

A welding tip is a part of a welder that goes on the end of the nozzle...
Yea c'mon who doesnt know what a welder is.. so its in other words the head of the welder that focuses the flame right?
You don't know how much hard work you always relief me from... XD
Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Make sure you can source the welding tips locally before you place the order with Specialty Z. That way, if you can't find them, you can still include them in the order and not have to pay extra shipping on them.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Sam

Make sure you can source the welding tips locally before you place the order with Specialty Z. That way, if you can't find them, you can still include them in the order and not have to pay extra shipping on them.
update: i just went to 4 local welding shops in my area it took me about 2hrs in hot weather and only 1 had them and he said those are very rare since they are used in plasma and i don't think you can find any.. something like that.. and he had only 1.4mm which is equivelent to 0.055" welding tips..
so i guess i have no other choice then getting them from the states and i still don't know if SZ offer boost jets and if they do i should order different sizes in order to see what is suitable to increase boost to ~14 psi..
Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 AM
Sam

Okay so here's another b**** A$$ thing... while i was going home the car backfired a few times and i felt a loss in power when i arrived home smoke came out under the hood the water temp gauge was normal just in the middle like always however the smoke came out from the engine and engine knocked constantly... no smoke was going out from the exhaust except a few black smoke just in the beginning of revving.. i think the smoke that came out smelled like burnt oil... the strange thing is that the radiator cap is still cold and the radiator as well (p.s its not the thermostat since it has been removed due to hot weather here) i started the car and filled the radiator with water and i closed the cap.. after a few seconds an extremely loud hissing came from next to the hoses of the passenger side.. here are some videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx7TB6tCuHs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3UYRJK5UIQ
The car is goin tomorrow to my mechanic so anything i need to know would help me alot..
Damn i hate it when things go wrong just when i am about to upgrade..
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

What do you mean you filled the radiator with water? Was there no water in there to begin with?!
Old 08-21-2010, 12:33 AM
Sam

Well i found the problem it overheated due to a leak in the lower radiator hose just under the hose clamp so i cut it and then pushed it in.. problem was solved... and when i told you in the previous post that smoke smelled like burnt oil... therefore the oil level came out this morning to be too low approx 2L left so i changed my oil also...
: )

Concercing the boost jets i know it may be a silly question but i read somewhere that boost jets are just as the same size of a .22 caliber bullet do you think drilling the bullet would work ??

Last edited by Sam; 08-21-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:52 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I would not recommend it. When you drill something by hand, there is guaranteed to be some lateral motion that will result in imperfect drilling... if you only had to do one, that's no big deal... but you have to make two as identical as possible. If you don't get them precise (as precise as a real boost jet or proper welding tip), your turbos will be boosting different amounts which will cause problems down the line.

Quit trying to be cheap. lol

Also, I think a .22 caliber bullet might be a little smaller than a boost jet, just judging from memory.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:12 AM
Sam

When you drill something by hand, there is guaranteed to be some lateral motion that will result in imperfect drilling...

Quit trying to be cheap. lol
I didnt mean by hands.. i mean precise machines.. anyway i just got a reply from sebastian and he said they can offer boost jets if i want..
Its not about trying to be cheap but i can't find any web that offer different sizes of boost jets to order from.. For example: CZP offer only .044's and z1 only offers 0.038's.. so i am not gona make 3 orders including the SZ order..
Old 08-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Just get the SZ ones... I'm sure they'll provide a size that'll get you at least in the ballpark of where you want to be.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Sam

Okay thanks : )
Old 08-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Sam

btw here we have 95 & 98 octane only ! i've searched this topic and i think that 95 is equivalent to 90 and 98 to 93(US ratings)
i use 95 octane commonly and when driving hard i use 98..ive never had problems due to octane ratings.. so what do you suggest to tune the ECU chip for 93,92 or 91 ?
Old 08-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I'd say talk to Specialty Z about it.

And use your 98 octane more frequently if you start modding this car... I'd NEVER put anything less than 92 octane (US rating) in a forced induction car.

Quick Reply: Dimensions