300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Crapola

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 06:16 PM

Crapola

well my brother is 8 hours away and hes clutch went on hes TT...
so i gotta go pick it up bring it here and change it ...

Any tips and tricks..ive done my on the 280zx a few times and its a breeze, i know the 300 are crammed like crazy so any tips would be appreciated...its a 93 if it makes difference...
thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

use a flatbed truck to tow.
otherwise disconnect/remove the driveshaft otherwise you'll damage the trans.

Tip #1. Don't drop the tranny on your head, that will hurt.
Tip #2. Don't drop the driveshaft on your head, that will also hurt.
Tip #3. Follow tips 1 & 2.

this might be a good time to replace the gear oil with a synthetic brand since you'll be spilling most of it out the back of the tranny if you decide to be lazy and not drain it first. Don't forget about the differential if you decide to do so.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by Riz Z Speed
he is very wize. drive shafts hurt hella lot. it left me alump it just taped me too now imagien if it would havebin a dead on hit. i wonder what the tranny will do. i wonder how he's gonna get the top 2 bolts?
Old 07-01-2005, 08:32 AM

If you've done others before, it probably won't be a problem. Make sure to make a mark on the driveshaft where it detaches in back so you get it put back the way it was. I'd recommend replacing the rear main seal and short coolant line while you're in there anyway. By the way, I didn't spill out all my tranny fluid - only a little, so I just topped it off when it was back up.

To get to those top two bolts you need a 3' extension and a U joint.

I followed <a href="http://www.ttzd.com/tech/clutch/clutch.html">these instructions</a> - they were very helpful. I found the tranny jack to be useless and partway through the operation ditched it and went with the regular hydraulic jack and a strap.

My <a href="http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.aspx?forum=general&msg_id=1565198">post on twinturbo.net</a> may help familiarize you with the Z32 clutch install process in particular. Watch the sensors when you're hefting that tranny around!

Good luck! I have a ton of photos, so if there's anything you'd like to see before you go in, more than likely I have a shot of it.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:43 AM

Thanks I Love You Guys!
Old 07-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by Riz Z Speed
use a flatbed truck to tow.
otherwise disconnect/remove the driveshaft otherwise you'll damage the trans.

this might be a good time to replace the gear oil with a synthetic brand since you'll be spilling most of it out the back of the tranny if you decide to be lazy and not drain it first. Don't forget about the differential if you decide to do so.
Thas good....... should add Tip #0.5. Don't drop exhaust on your head, it might hurt

Oh yeah, I highly recommend the TTZD instructions. I haven't done the clutch yet (will be soon tho), but I did my timing belt with their instructions and they were great. I only referred to the fsm a coupla times.

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 07-01-2005 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:25 AM

yes i looked over them and they are awsome...and i already dropped the exhaust on my head when i was taking it off to tow it...doh!
Old 07-02-2005, 02:14 PM

quick Q

on the exhaust where the downpipe bolts to the pre cat...one of the bolts is baked on as a **** and stripped...what the hell am i going to do? cut it off somhow???
Old 07-03-2005, 02:44 PM

cut it off now i gotta jack up the back so i can drop the tranny..
thanks for everything...ill post if i need more help...but so far its straight forward
Old 07-04-2005, 01:39 PM

Tip #4: Blaster Spray is your friend.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:55 PM

wouldnt help with this bolt...man she was on there...
Old 07-04-2005, 04:24 PM

wow whoever did the clutch last time never tightened the top 2 bolts good...i undid the so easy with the extensions...good for me but some people are just stupid...anyways i bought the downpipes and test pipes to put in while tranny is out..my brother better buy me a hooker for all the work im doing for free...buying him parts too..sheesh
Old 07-04-2005, 05:00 PM
Jack Of All Trades

lol............. what are brothers for? Next time you have to undo exhaust bolts, when you can, run the engine up to operating temp, or use a torch / heat gun and then spray with penetrating oil while hot and you'd be surprised how easily they loosen up. (hopefully, common sense tells the world that you don't spray penetrating oil on red hot metal tho)
Old 07-04-2005, 06:29 PM

heh oh well hes getting new downpipes and test pipes anyways now so no probs there...
tranny fell out no problems too...lowered it took the clutch off..well the rest of it...on the pressure plate side there was no as in "0" friction material, on the flywheel side there was steel beef so he can get the thing shaved...now the hard part...puttin it all back together...ahhh...