300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Conzult w/ Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:51 PM

Conzult w/ Adapter

i picked up a consult connector with a serial connection up on ebay. Was decently cheap.

I'm having a problem with the computer connecting to the car. Is anyone running windows 7 with any Consult connectors and or diagnostic equipment?

My car is OBD I. My adapter flashes a green light every few seconds but nothing comes up on the computer except it cannot open the port. Other times the port opens but no information is transmitted.

Thanks
(still having the diesel / pre-ignition firing problems and car is not running properly. Car is acting really weird when given gas and or attempt to drive it.)
Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I doubt there are many people familiar with Conzult on this site... try TwinTurbo.NET. I suspect it's either your ebay connector or Windows 7 (I know Nistune had issues with Vista, for example, and Windows 7 uses the same kernel as Vista).
Old 01-13-2010, 09:03 AM

erm, gonna have to google Conzult just out of curiosity now....
Old 01-13-2010, 09:50 AM

I have a cable that i use on my vista x64 laptop, works fine. I use obd scantech nissan. It is free and can do most of the stuff the pay software does.

The cable is usb, it just has a serial to usb adapter built in. I find that sometimes you have to unplug the cable, shut down the software, plug it back in then restrat the software for it to work.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 AM

Thats windoze for ya
Old 01-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Better than an operating system on which the software wouldn't work at all...
Old 01-13-2010, 07:23 PM

Well I figured the problem out.

1. I cannot connect to the car unless it's battery is above 10V
2. I jumped the car and got it running because of all the troubleshooting
the battery was low (it's cold here, no idea how it got so damn low so fast)
3. I had limited options with conzult. When i entered the idle adjustment screen the car stalled immediately and i had to reset the ECU to resolve this.

I've learned a bit about what's going on with the car. I had a nissan tech that was familiar with the car take a looksie and he is telling me there is too much fuel in the cylender and possible coilpack / injector / sparkplug fouled up / ecu timing.

So, off to the trusty old OHM test and some plugs this weekend. Wish me luck.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Better than an operating system on which the software wouldn't work at all...
Indeed kind sir.....as a super nerd, I will always prefer 98 or xp over the Vista nightmare.

Just a preference.

But good call on the low battery thing. I've been having troubles with that as well here in Georgia. I listen to my sound system for 15 minutes...time to charge the battery
Old 01-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by KptClutchZ
Indeed kind sir.....as a super nerd, I will always prefer 98 or xp over the Vista nightmare.

Just a preference.

But good call on the low battery thing. I've been having troubles with that as well here in Georgia. I listen to my sound system for 15 minutes...time to charge the battery
I thought you were hinting at crApple. I will rock XP until I am no longer able to find drivers for my hardware.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:42 PM

well since we are being nerdy, I had problems with vista when it first came out, but for the past like 2 years, I have had no problems.

But 7 on the other hand came out working great (because all the vista drivers already work with it)

and forget apple
Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 PM

ya, I heard 7 was nice.

But as a Graphic Designer and Windows user for the last 24 years of my life......Apple kicks ***. Nothing but good things to say about it. Especially since I triple boot XP, Snow Leopard & Ubuntu......Unix based systems are 3 times more reliable and not to mention the customizations you can apply.

Again....all preference. I don't believe in the one is better than the other wars...their pointless.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by KptClutchZ
Well, it was just really weird to have no problems with the car and doing on/off cycles and hearing the fuel pump and everything power up obviously drains the battery a bit. It's really cold here and its in a non-heated garage so that must be adding to the low voltage problems. Anyways I've got the conzult running now with the car idle but im getting tons of extra fuel smell out the exhaust and diesel sounds up the wazoo.

It popped into my head when i tried to crank it over and i did a face/palm.

It brought me back to about a year ago when i killed a battery. I was waiting for a part and left the hood open, that little security light was flashing and i forgot to disconnect the terminals. DOH

To those who are curious this is what i picked up on the el cheapo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...motiveQ5fTools

Build Quality is pretty good considering its all plastic but should hold up for a while. ConZult free works with very limited features, im working on the other programs and seeing what works and what doesn't.

Last edited by cpuhost; 01-13-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Pr0n Addict

Originally Posted by solarwater
I have a cable that i use on my vista x64 laptop, works fine. I use obd scantech nissan. It is free and can do most of the stuff the pay software does.
where do you get this free software?
Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ
where do you get this free software?
I remember it took me forever to find a free software that did everything.

UHOH, looks like those links dont work anymore, I think I still have the files, I will try to put em up for you guys

i uploaded it, check next post

Last edited by solarwater; 01-19-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:40 AM

i uploaded the files

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S92M9Q9X

if you havent used megaupload before, im sure you can figure it out...
Old 01-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Pr0n Addict

thanks man. i've got it downloaded and am working on getting it going now. i've done a bit of this stuff but it always takes me a few hours lol. so once i do everything you say, i can get a cable and plug it into the computer and tell how all the engine electronics are working?
Old 01-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Pr0n Addict

dude i'm confused. i got it installed. now... where is the nissan program files folder, and where do i "copy over" the 1.51? where is the place to install these new fonts? from the open window of the program?

Last edited by KasbeKZ; 01-15-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:11 PM

dude i'm confused. i got it installed. now... where is the nissan program files folder, and where do i "copy over" the 1.51? where is the place to install these new fonts? from the open window of the program?
oh forgot about the fonts,

to install the fonts, follow this
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ninstall-fonts

the nissan folder will be in

in 32bit windows
C:\Program Files\Nissan

in 64 bit windows
C:\Program Files(x86)\Nissan

then just paste the 1.51 exe into the nissan folder and overwrite the one in there.

Once the software is installed, you need a consult cable and install the drivers for that. those drivers should be included with the cable / usb adapter.

Last edited by solarwater; 01-15-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Pr0n Addict

cool stuff. anything i need to know to "overwrite the one in there"? or is it just paste it into the nissan folder? and is that folder one actually called "nissan"?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:45 PM

cool stuff. anything i need to know to "overwrite the one in there"? or is it just paste it into the nissan folder? and is that folder one actually called "nissan"?
yeah, to reduce confusion, i will walk through the process.

go into the files you downloaded, go into the "scantech 1.51 patch" folder, right click and copy the "scan tech nissan.exe"

go to computer (or my computer) then open the C:\ drive, then open "program files" folder, then open "nissan" folder. paste the file into this folder.

it will ask if you want to overwrite the file that is already there, say yes.

then you should be ready to roll. You can't do too much with it without the cable plugged in though.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Pr0n Addict

great. i'll get back to it tomorrow. thanks again.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by solarwater
I remember it took me forever to find a free software that did everything.

Thanks for the post, ill try it on my consult adapter and report back.
I have found that most of the software i have, runs fine on Windows 7.

Once i have an update with this one i will post back, thanks.

I noticed you posted the update, any chance on the original installer?

Last edited by cpuhost; 01-18-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:45 PM

in the link i posted, it has the installer and the patch
Old 01-19-2010, 10:33 PM
F5 Hero

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
I thought you were hinting at crApple. I will rock XP until I am no longer able to find drivers for my hardware.
what about windows ME.. it was pretty stellar.... PAUSE NOT!!!! I have my HD partitioned 2 ways... Vista and Linux. I'm thinking about picking up another MEGA HUGE HD (they don't make this 10k rpm's that big yet) and trying to run a quad partition between the two with a quad boot of vista, XP, Linux, and 98. I still have a 98 cd somewhere around here. If it's possible. Of course anything is possible on computers now a days.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by napoleonzheking
what about windows ME.. it was pretty stellar.... PAUSE NOT!!!! I have my HD partitioned 2 ways... Vista and Linux. I'm thinking about picking up another MEGA HUGE HD (they don't make this 10k rpm's that big yet) and trying to run a quad partition between the two with a quad boot of vista, XP, Linux, and 98. I still have a 98 cd somewhere around here. If it's possible. Of course anything is possible on computers now a days.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=494

well worth the cash, once you go to a 10K wdc raptor youll never go back.

I'm posting to report that: conzult free / ecutalk / calium soft all work with the cheap conzult adapter i bought on ebay. The issue it seems is no one tests the serial port. The easiest way to test a serial port is a serial mouse and or a loopback plug. (i think radio shack has these)

most Vista/Windows 7 Users must set the programs to run in Windows XP Service Pack 2 Mode with administrative privelages. (right click your .exe program / select properties)

Quick Reply: Conzult w/ Adapter