300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

C'mon Help a guy Out!!!!! 300zxTT isues

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:48 PM

C'mon Help a guy Out!!!!! 300zxTT isues

I just got a 1990 300zx TT and experienced some wierd issues, I first got it off of the shipping truck and ran fine put gas drove it for about half an hour. All i noticed was a little hesititation at lower RPM (NOT IMPORTANT, but advice would be nice) When i got it home i let it sit idle for about 10 min (idled fine, car has 49k miles on it) then all of a sudden the interior and exterior lights dimmed the high beams came on all by them selves and the engine started to stumble the pooof, it crapped out on me (DAMN!). So i run to the store for a new OPTIMA battery to throw in there, i noticed a nit of sparking and just like rice krispies i blew my main battery fusible link (What the...., now). Im going to the dealer tomorrow and get a few fusible links and charge the old battery. I also forgot to mention that with jumper cables to my friends supra (EHH), runs fine and as soon as it is dissconnected stumbles (this was before i blew the link). at this point i am just upset and left the car outside with the windows stuck down (not too bad this time of year at least). another piece of info there was a new alternator just installed. Id like to get this going agian so i can plop it to the nissan dealer or pitstop perhaps for a full checkup. I think the breaking system needs a look at too as the pedal likes to move close to the floor before i feel anything.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric Wolf
Old 12-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

sounds like the alternator to me.
Who put in the new one? You or previous owner?
you sure he didn't say it needed a new alternator? lol
Old 12-29-2005, 03:32 PM

Hmmm

Are you sure an alternator could cause a fusible link to blow or cause my battery to spark when nothing is on (BTW it was the main Battery link that blew). It seems like it so me execpt for the fact that when i would lose power high beams would come on when regular lights were on. Ill look into it maybe the connections are lose and touching somthing by the alternator. Ill jump it with the OL 240 i guess (damn 35 year old car runs better than anything wlse ive had...lol)

Thank you

Anyone else have any Ideas ????
Old 12-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Your post is real confusing. If you have jumper cables from another vehicle and you start your car and then remove the cables and the car dies, then your battery is dead and the alternator is not charging.

But, you're saying you have a new alternator and a new battery and this happens.... Doesn't make sense..... and sparks like rice krispies????? I would speculate that you got the battery cables mixed up on the battery.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Bad Speller

Basically waht happened to meh guys. U rember. dad jumpstarted wrong, blw main battery fusible link, adn then my car became an electrical *****. goodluck buddy.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:11 AM
confuzed member

I'd say that you either put the battery cables on wrong, or the jumper cables on wrong and that's what blew the link. Your other issues sound like your alternator to me. You have an internaly regulated voltage regulator in your alternator, the regulator is bad and so is your alternator. The installed alternator was probably defective.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:24 AM
Loves Going Topless

Originally Posted by emo236
I'd say that you either put the battery cables on wrong, or the jumper cables on wrong and that's what blew the link. Your other issues sound like your alternator to me. You have an internaly regulated voltage regulator in your alternator, the regulator is bad and so is your alternator. The installed alternator was probably defective.
I'd second that . I currently have an 87 2+2 sitting at the shop that was jumped backwards. Had they stopped there it wouldn't be so bad, but it now looks like a couple tweaker rats have been loose in the car. They've pulled the boxes by the battery and jumped twisted and who knows what else. In the cabin it's a nightmare with panels pulled out and wires strung everywhere.