300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

BOV Kits and Options.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Registered Drifter

BOV Kits and Options.

So what are you guys using? I've seen the following units. Z1 RFL, Tial, of course the HKS SSQV's, Turbo XS, and A'Pexi.

The A'Pexi are adjustable, the rest are not. My friend has a SSQV I like it but I want educated opinions. If theres any more that I didn't list (I'm sure theres a few) let me know. I dont want anything that will be louder than the SSQV's. I been searching the past hour but I cant find any reviews, or posts about them.

Tim
Old 05-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Registered Drifter

also I'd Prefer to mount them where the stock recircs are so if I get pulled over then there hidden. If not then thats okay.

Tim
Old 05-22-2008, 06:08 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

i like my greddy type s (non ebay one), but everyone has their own needs. they have a couple websites that have sound clips of all the bov you are asking about. the turbo xs rfl is REALLY F" loud in person.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:53 AM
caught the z fever

theres nothing illegal about owning BOVs other than the fact that theyre expensively worthless

personally, i liked the stock recirc noise....the goose honk. its free and it made me crack up every time

Last edited by b300z; 05-22-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I had HKS SSQV's before they were stolen... and I had TurboXs RFL several years ago, but they were simply too loud for me. The Z1 RFL are a ripoff of the TurboXs RFL, so I'd expect those to be ridiculously loud as well (RFL actually stands for "Really F*cking Loud").

I'd recommend HKS SSQV or A'PEXi Twin Chamber based on quality and design. I have no experience with Tial... that's not really a big brand name in the Z32 world aside from their external wastegates on the Z's that have big externally-gated turbos.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Bad Speller

the Tial BOV's are great in qualaty, but its a piston design so you still got to adjust them. and if you want to recirculate, well good luck. (recirculating those is a no no) HKS SSQV are great, and worth the money if your stockers are leaking, My Friend has the Apexi ones, and no complains as of yet.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Über User

TiAL is a SICK setup, but yeah not popular in the Z32 world. but still best BOV imho
Old 05-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Registered Drifter

Originally Posted by b300z
theres nothing illegal about owning BOVs other than the fact that theyre expensively worthless

personally, i liked the stock recirc noise....the goose honk. its free and it made me crack up every time
I live in Cali I'm not sure if there illegal here but I know for sure a cop will send me to a state ref. unless they have some numbers stamped on them that show there street legal. or papers for them but even then there dicks. Then again I dont plan to drive like an *** and rev my car and shift like crazy to hear it all the time. =)

I like that Apexi are adjustable. I followed my friend today and I do really like the sound of the SSQV's. I'll ask around see If any of my friends have seen em in person.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Just for the record (because I'll feel like I didn't do my part in preserving the sanctity of the Z if I don't say it), I think you're doing this mod for the absolute wrong reason.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Über User

well... yeah, but at least he isn't ruining anything. a little bov mod never hurt anybody... well, sept required recirc maf's that ricers go to atmospheric vented ones. but yeah, its really just a waste of money on his part.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:19 PM

You should also learn the difference between there, their and they're.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Registered Drifter

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
You should also learn the difference between there, their and they're.
My mistake I have been posting late @ night usually half asleep....
Old 05-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Registered Drifter

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Just for the record (because I'll feel like I didn't do my part in preserving the sanctity of the Z if I don't say it), I think you're doing this mod for the absolute wrong reason.
I see your point. I'll drop the BOV for now (as in not ask anymore) If I get them I'll get the SSQV's.

For now I'll do the basics, Downpipe, Test-Pipe (Might just keep cats, if I do take em off I'll hold onto them) HKS Hi-Power Exhaust (stainless, not titanium or CF too much $ for just a bit less weight.) I'll get my ECU chipped with JWT, I already have a stillen Intake. I'll see how each of those mods up my power and times. I'll probably be more then satisfied with those mods. Also a set of Bronze GT4's would make me pretty happy =). Possibly a flush mount stock wing ...

If I still have an itch for the BOV's then atleast they wont be keeping me from buying parts that will actually do something. Hey mabye with the boost upped a bit by the JWT Chip my recircs will begin to leak (not that I'm wishing that upon my car I'm not an idiot though you may think I am) then I wont get crap for wanting noise makers.

I'm tryin to show you that I have plans for the car and I dont just want to look cool and have my car make noise. I actually LOVE that I can rev and get on it all day long and you can hardly hear the engine.

Thanks for reading...

Tim
Old 05-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I just don't want people making the same mistakes I made. My first mod was the TurboXs RFL blow off valves because I simply wanted the sound. After spending a few years in the community, I realized there were better places to invest that money in the car, and I wished I would've spent it on other things instead. Realistically, stock recircs have worked for well over 20psi of boost (Greg Dupree still has his stock recircs on his 9 second Z32, if I recall correctly)... so no one is sure of when a car actually *needs* them... I just think that money should go elsewhere first, and blow off valves should be a low priority (just like body kits). Someday, I'll get SSQV's again... while I know stock recircs have worked for much more boost than I run, I'd simply rather not risk it. The sound is just a plus for me... I want the assurance that it's being vented properly (I've gone through too many turbos to risk that anymore).

But you have a nice plan, mod-wise... just stay away from eBay on the downpipes and test pipes and you're set. ;p
Old 05-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Bad Speller

yeah, that's the same thought I have. only reason i'm upgrading to HKS SSQV's. would have gotten them this weekend, along with all the stuff i needed for the Z. but i couldn't resist memorial day sales, got me a 37" HD Plasma. =)
Old 05-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Über User

dupree runs an automatic though right? so wouldn't the recircs really not be doing anything between shifts? the time that they are most necessary?
Old 05-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

When the RPMs back down, there is still a need to vent air. Perhaps not as much as with a manual car, but there's still a need for ventilation. Good point though.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Registered Drifter

I just don't want people making the same mistakes I made. My first mod was the TurboXs RFL blow off valves because I simply wanted the sound. After spending a few years in the community, I realized there were better places to invest that money in the car, and I wished I would've spent it on other things instead. Realistically, stock recircs have worked for well over 20psi of boost (Greg Dupree still has his stock recircs on his 9 second Z32, if I recall correctly)... so no one is sure of when a car actually *needs* them... I just think that money should go elsewhere first, and blow off valves should be a low priority (just like body kits). Someday, I'll get SSQV's again... while I know stock recircs have worked for much more boost than I run, I'd simply rather not risk it. The sound is just a plus for me... I want the assurance that it's being vented properly (I've gone through too many turbos to risk that anymore).

But you have a nice plan, mod-wise... just stay away from eBay on the downpipes and test pipes and you're set. ;p
Thanks. Also what downpipes you guys use (stock turbo's) Only I can remember finding were Megan racing (I know there a step above ebay for the most part)

Tim

Yay I'm in London cant wait to get back home to the Z next week! But Wont let that keep me from enjoying the local pubs!!!
Old 05-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Über User

When the RPMs back down, there is still a need to vent air. Perhaps not as much as with a manual car, but there's still a need for ventilation. Good point though.
true, but BOV's work on a differential of pressure one from the intake manifold one from the hot pipes, now in automatics, its foot down and go so the pressures will always remain equal without the difference they wouldn't actuate am i correct?
Old 05-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by The_MuffinMan25
Thanks. Also what downpipes you guys use (stock turbo's) Only I can remember finding were Megan racing (I know there a step above ebay for the most part)

Tim

Yay I'm in London cant wait to get back home to the Z next week! But Wont let that keep me from enjoying the local pubs!!!
Megan Racing is an eBay brand... they make knockoff parts with cheap materials. And their downpipes have an inside diameter of 2.3" which is hardly larger than stock.

Get Specialty Z.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
true, but BOV's work on a differential of pressure one from the intake manifold one from the hot pipes, now in automatics, its foot down and go so the pressures will always remain equal without the difference they wouldn't actuate am i correct?
You're right, during full WOT runs in auto cars, the blow off valves don't open (so you can disregard my earlier comment). But what I was getting at more was that the stock recirculation valves don't leak at super high boost. Therefore, the best reason to get a BOV is so that you can vent more air than the recirculation valve, rather than because you're afraid of the recirc valve not being strong enough. The recircs will stay shut at high boost, but they may not vent enough for heavy breathing turbos.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Über User

You're right, during full WOT runs in auto cars, the blow off valves don't open (so you can disregard my earlier comment). But what I was getting at more was that the stock recirculation valves don't leak at super high boost. Therefore, the best reason to get a BOV is so that you can vent more air than the recirculation valve, rather than because you're afraid of the recirc valve not being strong enough. The recircs will stay shut at high boost, but they may not vent enough for heavy breathing turbos.
cool beans. so i guess i'll add that to my tally count, thats number 2 mister! but yeah point about holding the pressure is still all there.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:37 PM

I would recommend getting the SSQV's with a recirc kit, that way you can still have your bovs, but atleast the air won't be wasted and you won't run rich when all that air goes wooshing out.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Registered Drifter

Yea I saw that there was a recirc kit for the SSQV's but at that point I'd just be spending $600 on something I dont need (until I confirm or suspect a leak) and I wont even get the pleasure of hearing. Moneys better spent on a JWT ECU anyways.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by The_MuffinMan25
Moneys better spent on a JWT ECU anyways.
NOW YOU'RE TALKIN!!!

Quick Reply: BOV Kits and Options.