300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

300zx help! first car

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:27 AM

300zx help! first car

Hey all!

I'm 17 and I have been looking at the 1990 z32s for a first car (because the 1991+ have gay steering wheels) . Since the first time i saw one when i was 8 i wanted 1. The car looked like it was from transformers or tron or something. Anyway, the twin turbo is obviously the fastest and the most fun and also menacing in the eyes of civic ricers, but my parents probably wont let me drive this model because it is fast and also a 2 seater. Is the 2+2 really THAT slow being an NA and heavier than the 2 seater. Can u still drift and do burnouts? What is ur guys' best null to 60 time in an NA? And finally, is the twin turbo less reliable than the NA? Thx a lot!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Nissans Purist

welcome to Zdriver! I do not think you should be driving a Z32TT, you will most likely kill yourself from the sounds of it.

The NA 2 + 2 is a lot heavier, but it still has pretty decent power and will still rape a Civic.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Wow. Please do not buy a TT until you grow up... in a decade or so.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Über User

second ^^^

you will run the car into the ground. these aren't goof first cars by any means. they require alot of attention and money each year to keep them running how they should. also, if you are concerned about racing civics and drifting and doing burnouts you should buy a car that isn't fast or stylish in anyway until you learn that life isn't about being cool in your car. girls like a nice car, but not a fool in one, and if that's all they are concerned about, then they aren't for you. you shall learn that. and when you graduate high school in 2 years and no one gives a crap about your car anymore you will see how foolish you were for wanting a car for those reasons.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Tough Guy

third...
Old 08-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Tough Guy

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
second ^^^

you will run the car into the ground. these aren't goof first cars by any means. they require alot of attention and money each year to keep them running how they should. also, if you are concerned about racing civics and drifting and doing burnouts you should buy a car that isn't fast or stylish in anyway until you learn that life isn't about being cool in your car. girls like a nice car, but not a fool in one, and if that's all they are concerned about, then they aren't for you. you shall learn that. and when you graduate high school in 2 years and no one gives a crap about your car anymore you will see how foolish you were for wanting a car for those reasons.

you probably just lowered his self esteem a lot. damn.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Über User

what... it was true and not that harsh... just realistic. i don't think ANYONE should be started out in the car they want. being 17 though im assuming he's been driving at least a year though. but still young and it shows in what he states he is looking for. only a small bit seems to be for the actual appreciation of the Z. so i suggest keep reading and buy when you're in the last year of high school at the earliest. alot less temptation to do stupid crap when you are out of it.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Tough Guy

im agree with you all the way.

its cool to be fast and dumb when youre 17. but its the wrong car to be messing with when the cost of everything comes into play.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

I'd say its less the cost and more that I don't want to see any more Z32's being wrecked. Hell, I don't even care if 16/17 year old kids kill themselves street racing, so long as they don't wreck such nice machines. Z32's (and TT's specifically) belong in the hands of enthusiasts.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:58 AM

second ^^^

That would be the mustang guys. but no im not the kind of guy who would do 100+ pulls on a highway or race from every light. What i meant by drifting and burnouts is that would an NA actually have the power to do any of that as opposed to the TT. But thanks that was an honest opinion and i yes I realize that cars are for not looking cool so much that ur an idiot. but you have to admit in high school without a car you cant go anywhere even to see a simple movie
Old 08-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Tough Guy

Originally Posted by Z Fever
That would be the mustang guys. but no im not the kind of guy who would do 100+ pulls on a highway or race from every light. What i meant by drifting and burnouts is that would an NA actually have the power to do any of that as opposed to the TT. But thanks that was an honest opinion and i yes I realize that cars are for not looking cool so much that ur an idiot. but you have to admit in high school without a car you cant go anywhere even to see a simple movie

the na still has a lot of power. its not a 100 hp civic.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
I'd say its less the cost and more that I don't want to see any more Z32's being wrecked. Hell, I don't even care if 16/17 year old kids kill themselves street racing, so long as they don't wreck such nice machines. Z32's (and TT's specifically) belong in the hands of enthusiasts.
He

he, I'll be damned! Somebody else that thinks cars are more precious than people...
Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 AM
This facepalm's for you!

(because the 1991+ have gay steering wheels) .
also menacing in the eyes of civic ricers
Can u still drift and do burnouts?

these comments are the reasons you shouldn't be buying a Z32 yet

dont loose the dream, just relies;
  1. your 17 and that ***** not that cool
  2. mechanically, Z32's are not for a novice (Iv had my mits on more than a few Z's and I still hate messing with the twin cam VG)
  3. 99.9% of the time you your drive you first car into the ground, please dont kill a Z
    (I literally split the block in half on my first car)

Learn to drive proper, and I don't mean following all the rules and such, I mean gain real driving skill. If your looking at a Z32 for a first car your obviously not broke, so go look up some info on some of the driving schools at your local race track ect. And study up on the Z32, learn about the basics on how cars work, learn about the VG30, and give yourself a good lesson in Z car history while your at it

p.s. if you get one anyway, do not drift it. you will do something stupid like wrap it around a pole.
at 17 with your first car that is not a might or a maybe.

Last edited by skib; 08-12-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:39 AM
This facepalm's for you!

prob not what you wanted to hear but we call em like we see em
Old 08-12-2009, 11:50 AM
F5 Hero

2nd, 3rd, 4th... hell i lost track of points to agree with....
Old 08-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by bojo68
He

he, I'll be damned! Somebody else that thinks cars are more precious than people...
over 6 billion people in the world, about 274 million of them in America... less than 1 million Z32's in America. And people are f*cking and making more people every day... the Z32 is only decreasing in numbers. So if some idiots want to destroy their own lives, there'll be a few more people to replace them... but if they take a Z32 with them, that'll never be replaced.

And I'm a misanthrope.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
over 6 billion people in the world, about 274 million of them in America... less than 1 million Z32's in America. And people are f*cking and making more people every day... the Z32 is only decreasing in numbers. So if some idiots want to destroy their own lives, there'll be a few more people to replace them... but if they take a Z32 with them, that'll never be replaced.

And I'm a misanthrope.
YEP, z32's, and a number of others too.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:13 PM

just buy a NA 300ZX
it beats a civic
just make sure to maintain it and you better have $$$ because its an investment
but if you want to drift or do donuts just buy a early 90s 240sx
Old 03-13-2010, 01:24 AM

I 9th that! I just got my hand on my first 3z and I will say this unless(Still wont help) You buy one never drivin in its life(Not going to happen) your going to spend alot of time and money. I have been wrenching on mine since the day I parked it in my garage! And I still drive it(Keep that in mind)(Not my daily driver)
Old 03-13-2010, 08:39 AM

I didn't even get my license until the beginning of this school year (was on learners permit for a year and a half). During that time I became an all star backseat driver which helps me a lot behind the wheel now. and I am currently driving my dads '79 280ZX. I am 18 and will be going to college 2 hours away and I want an NA because it will definitely be safer and hopefully more reliable than a 31 year old car. I think a TT is way too much power for any teenager, including myself. Don't get me wrong the NA is still a very dangerous car and you could definitely get in some serious trouble with it. Also these cars are quite expensive to maintain. I really don't think the Z32 is fit to be a first car, at least drive the family beater for awhile. If you really want that sports car look go for a V6 mustang, they are perfectly sufficient power wise but hopefully won't get you into too much trouble. Many of my friends drive 2000-present model mustangs and they are very reliable but also can be pretty fun. Plus with the mustang you are guaranteed to get airbags whereas with a 1990 300 you are not. Of course the decision is not up to you, it's up to your parents, and I'm sure your thinking a lot more about having fun than being safe or maintaining the vehicle. Also take in to account the price to insure a 16 y/old. I'm pretty sure insuring a honda or a later model mustang would be a lot less than a 1990s sports car.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 AM

so i suggest keep reading and buy when you're in the last year of high school at the earliest. alot less temptation to do stupid crap when you are out of it.
Exactly. I still have some fun with my current car, but at least I have learned how to keep it under control, and I have grown a lot in my driving skill during this time. When you get your first car its more important to learn how to drive and participate in traffic than having fun.