300ZX (Z32) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis for the 90-96 300ZX

suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 01:46 AM

suspension

it has finally come time to replace my 15 year old stock springs and shocks. didnt wanna go wit the 'cheap' eibach and kyb shock setup. i was contemplating about gettin the original oem dealer springs and shocks. but that runs like 800 bucks all around. Then i was thinkin base model tein coilovers. i was wondering if anybody could leave some input on wut kind of springs and shocks they are running. and if they hug the curves or not..pleaz
Old 01-27-2006, 08:46 AM
confuzed member

The powertrix coilovers are VERY nice! They are also very nicely priced. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Doesn't post much...

Yeah, the Powertrix coils are awesome. I would buy a set if Charles wasn't such a stuck up bastige. His place is only about 5 minutes from my shop, it would be nice to do some business with him, but my experience with him the last few times we met left me with a bad impression. Sorry if some of you guys know him otherwise... Just my opinion. ... ... ... Rod.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:05 AM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
Yeah, the Powertrix coils are awesome. I would buy a set if Charles wasn't such a stuck up bastige. His place is only about 5 minutes from my shop, it would be nice to do some business with him, but my experience with him the last few times we met left me with a bad impression. Sorry if some of you guys know him otherwise... Just my opinion. ... ... ... Rod.
Actually, Charles is a very good friend of mine. I've worked on his Z many times and he's worked on mine even more. Charles is a great guy...it's weird that you had weird experiences with him, he's totally a good guy. I would never think of Charles as a stuck up guy....he's always talking about everyone else, he rarely says anything about himself (well, he's been raving about his recent venture into the 10's, but who wouldn't?) What was your expereinces?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Doesn't post much...

When I first met him I thought he was really cool. He came by the starbucks where my crew hangs out one night when he was on his way to the monthly "Empire Z" meet in Ontario. He and his wife commented and complimented us all on our cars and he just seemed really cool. He invited us to drive up to Ontario and hang with them. None of us could do it that night but I told him that we would eventually. We would see him every first Thursday of the month for the next few months and he would always be friendly and extend the same invite. Finally after a few months, my friend Mark and I decided to make the trip. He had an '86 Z31 at the time that was gorgeous. So we drove all the way up there and parked with everyone else. Charles wouldn't even give either of us the time of day all night long. He was making a concerted effort to talk only to guys in Z32's. A couple of times I tried to spark up conversation with him and he just kinda shrugged me off. It made me feel like I wasn't cool enough to be there since all I had was a lowly (Albeit Sexy) 280ZX. We thought maybe he was just having a bad night. We went back again the next month and it was the same thing. Finally, when I went to the MSA show in 2004, I stopped by his car to say hello and compliment him on it and he was again very stand offish. Like I said, he might be a really cool guy... That was my first impression of him anyway. I just got very turned off by his demeanor after the first Empire Z meet and each subsequent interaction with him. I just felt like he only considered the Z32 to be a worthy Z. I wonder how he would treat me now that I have both an S130 and a Z32?? ... ... ... ... Rod.

Last edited by RodMoyes; 01-27-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:23 PM
confuzed member

Originally Posted by RodMoyes
When I first met him I thought he was really cool. He came by the starbucks where my crew hangs out one night when he was on his way to the monthly "Empire Z" meet in Ontario. He and his wife commented and complimented us all on our cars and he just seemed really cool. He invited us to drive up to Ontario and hang with them. None of us could do it that night but I told him that we would eventually. We would see him every first Thursday of the month for the next few months and he would always be friendly and extend the same invite. Finally after a few months, my friend Mark and I decided to make the trip. He had an '86 Z31 at the time that was gorgeous. So we drove all the way up there and parked with everyone else. Charles wouldn't even give either of us the time of day all night long. He was making a concerted effort to talk only to guys in Z32's. A couple of times I tried to spark up conversation with him and he just kinda shrugged me off. It made me feel like I wasn't cool enough to be there since all I had was a lowly (Albeit Sexy) 280ZX. We thought maybe he was just having a bad night. We went back again the next month and it was the same thing. Finally, when I went to the MSA show in 2004, I stopped by his car to say hello and compliment him on it and he was again very stand offish. Like I said, he might be a really cool guy... That was my first impression of him anyway. I just got very turned off by his demeanor after the first Empire Z meet and each subsequent interaction with him. I just felt like he only considered the Z32 to be a worthy Z. I wonder how he would treat me now that I have both an S130 and a Z32?? ... ... ... ... Rod.
well, he actually helped me look for my 240z I have. In addition, when I brought the 240 to a SDZ32 meet....it was the center of attention...and there were some new Z32's there that were pretty nice (including a widebody). So Charles definitely doesn't have anythign against other Z's. Actually, if I were to keep my car, we were talking about using my car to design a coilover set for the S30. But, not gonna happen. He probably was just busy with all the empireZ guys...that sucks though that he was like that...that's not really Charles at all.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:24 PM
confuzed member

oh, btw....anna isn't his wife (she basically is though). Anna's a great gal though...total sweethart.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:34 PM

interested

is powertrix a well known brand? how much are u asking for? wut condition r they in?
Old 01-27-2006, 03:36 PM
confuzed member

I can get you in contact with Charles (owner of powertrix)...here's a link to some pics of the coilovers:
http://twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.asp...d&msg_id=95768
Those are near the prices you will recieve from him as well.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Doesn't post much...

Originally Posted by emo236
well, he actually helped me look for my 240z I have. In addition, when I brought the 240 to a SDZ32 meet....it was the center of attention...and there were some new Z32's there that were pretty nice (including a widebody). So Charles definitely doesn't have anythign against other Z's. Actually, if I were to keep my car, we were talking about using my car to design a coilover set for the S30. But, not gonna happen. He probably was just busy with all the empireZ guys...that sucks though that he was like that...that's not really Charles at all.
Weird. Like I said, he seemed like a real nice guy at first. Sounds like he really is a nice guy. I don't know. The last time I saw him, he was at the car wash near my shop a few months ago and I walked down to say hello... Still got the feeling that I was bothering him somehow. Maybe I'm just overly sensative and need to chill out . He has a lot of really cool stuff to upgrade the Z32 so I wouldn't mind having a better relationship with him. ... ... ... Rod.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:51 PM

hicas eliminator

i kno it gets rid of the 4 wheel steering. but does it really help. is the traction better after u get rid of it. or is it juss for drifting purposes?

btw. do u kno what kind of warranty the coilovers have?
Old 01-27-2006, 09:13 PM
confuzed member

basically, the hicas eliminator eliminates the 4 wheel steering thats it. It's undesirable to a lot of Z'ers so eliminators are offered. I don't know about any warranties...I mean...I can vouch that it's a quality product. Charles has them on his own car.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:44 AM

thx for the help. greatly appreciated
Old 01-29-2006, 10:06 PM
F5 Hero

Originally Posted by bLackout
didnt wanna go wit the 'cheap' eibach and kyb shock setup. i was contemplating about gettin the original oem dealer springs and shocks. but that runs like 800 bucks all around.
First of all, when u say cheap, do u mean price, or quality. Because I don't really think they KYB Eibach setup is 'cheap' in quality (and I'm not just saying that because I run it, i'm saying it because i know 3 other guys that run it and like it as well on their Z's. 1 TT 350+ hp , 1 2 + 2, and another NA (that has T-tops). Almost every aspect of the Z comunity represented that likes it. First of all, why would you go with stockers over eibach and KYB setup???

Second, either go with eibach / KYB setup, or coilovers, TEIN or powertrix...
Old 01-29-2006, 11:20 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by napoleonzheking
1 TT 350+ hp , 1 2 + 2, and another NA (that has T-tops). Almost every aspect of the Z comunity represented that likes it.
one of the slicktops i looked at had that setup too, and the guy loved it. so now we just need a 'vert to complete the lineup.