300ZX (Z32) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis for the 90-96 300ZX

staggered wheels a must on a tt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 03:33 PM

staggered wheels a must on a tt?

if i was to put new wheels on my tt ( most likely 18's) will i hurt the performance of the car if i go with same width in front and back? if anyone has done this let me know how it turned out
Old 06-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Jack Of All Trades

basically no, it won't hurt. I wouldn't go less than 8.5" wide all around. Going to the wider wheels in the front will change the handling characteristics a little bit when you approach the limits of tire adhesion. It will prolly make the rear end slide out a little easier (oversteer) than before. This versus the cars stock tendency to start sliding the front wheels first. (understeer)
Old 06-02-2005, 05:05 PM

so in a way it might be a bit beneficial to go with say 9" wide all around? it would definetly save some cash as well verses buying a staggered set one other question anyone know the correct offset to run thanks canyon carver
Old 06-03-2005, 06:05 AM
Jack Of All Trades

stock offset is +45mm. Not just any wheel will fit. The offset is independent of whether the wheel will fit or not.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:28 AM

trade performance for looks

Bigger wheels WILL decrease rear wheel horsepower, expect anywhere between 10 to 30 hp loss. Bigger / wider wheels weigh more, bigger tires weigh more and have much bigger rotational inertia. Another drawback is higher unsprung weight, which negatively affects handling. Heavier wheels can't move up and down as fast as lighter ones, so suspension can't react very fast to road irregularities. Lower tire profile obviously provide punishing ride, especially combined with high performance or run flat tires. Wide, low provide tires feel " nervous" on bumpy roads, lack directional stability, in other words tend to cause car to yaw while going over bumps. Narrower, taller tires don't look cool but have superior directional stability. Positives? Surether are many. 18" wheels look great, steering gets more responsive.
Did I mention rim damage is much more likely with 18 or 19 " ???
Bigger wheels are FOR LOOKS. That is it. The best tires for everyday driving I have ever had on my Z were WINTER tires. 215 / 60 / 16.....I honestly hate to switch to summer tires ( Falkens ), because of above mentioned reasons...
I am not AGAINST bigger wheels, tough. Looks are important. I recently moved to a town where roads are almost as bad as Detroit and I will not go big until I move out of here...
Old 06-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by aviatorb747
Bigger wheels WILL decrease rear wheel horsepower, expect anywhere between 10 to 30 hp loss. Bigger / wider wheels weigh more, bigger tires weigh more and have much bigger rotational inertia. Another drawback is higher unsprung weight, which negatively affects handling. Heavier wheels can't move up and down as fast as lighter ones, so suspension can't react very fast to road irregularities. Lower tire profile obviously provide punishing ride, especially combined with high performance or run flat tires. Wide, low provide tires feel " nervous" on bumpy roads, lack directional stability, in other words tend to cause car to yaw while going over bumps. Narrower, taller tires don't look cool but have superior directional stability. Positives? Surether are many. 18" wheels look great, steering gets more responsive.
Did I mention rim damage is much more likely with 18 or 19 " ???
Bigger wheels are FOR LOOKS. That is it. The best tires for everyday driving I have ever had on my Z were WINTER tires. 215 / 60 / 16.....I honestly hate to switch to summer tires ( Falkens ), because of above mentioned reasons...
I am not AGAINST bigger wheels, tough. Looks are important. I recently moved to a town where roads are almost as bad as Detroit and I will not go big until I move out of here...
I won't touch on all of your points. Most have room for some discussion. But 10 to 30 hp loss. that one I would beg to differ. A larger or smaller wheel has zero impact on the h.p. output of your motor. Show some dyno sheets. True, there aren't many wheels out there that are lighter than stock z32. Except for some real high $ ones. The effects on handling that you state show up at racetrack speeds. Not on daily drivers. The Z is not exactly a luxo cruizer in stock form, mine felt nervous on bumpy roads with stock wheels, not much change with the bigger wheels. One other thing to keep in mind, when you go to a bigger wheel, most of the increase in size is air space. Also when you do it correctly, a larger wheel means a little more wheel weight and a little less rubber weight.

My aftermarket wheels added 20 pounds of weight total over the stock wheels. I haven't weighed the tires, but since the sidewall is only 1/3 the height of the stock tires and only an inch wider, I'll bet they weigh substantially less than the stock tires.

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 06-03-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:14 PM

Not to mention the fact that wider tires provide better grip; which is a good idea on a TT, especially as you increase HP. Anything over an 18" wheel is a waste and it will cause the handleing of the car to suffer. I wouldn't say the ride is punishing with 18's. I believe the ride quality improved when I changed my wheel/tire setup.

By keeping the wheels and tires the same size you will increase oversteer dramaticall on the TT. All ultra-high performance cars come from the factory with larger rear wheels and tires for a reason (except 4wd for obvious reasons).
Old 06-05-2005, 10:12 PM

F1 cars ride on 13" high profile tires. So do almost all open wheel series. No 20" monsters there. Problem with weight is not just the weight, it is that on large wheels higher weight in concentrated further away from the centre of the wheel ( in this case 18" ). Moment = weight X arm. Therefore engine has to work harder to spin that mass. Few people run dyno test after changing wheels only. My buddy did that on his Acura, started with roughly 115 rwhp, changed intake, exhaust, wheels and got....115 hp. Muffler / intake gains were offset by wheels upgrade losses. But car sounded and looked much better.
Grip has nothing to do with tire profile, much to do with tire width, rubber compound, etc... You can mount wide tires on small rims, just ask any racer.
Wide tires:....Do you want a car that handles good or do you want a car that has a lot of grip? Two different things. What you want is a car that is nicely controllable and neutral at the limit. You can put 335 wide tires on a chevy cavalier, pull 1 G or more, but when car looses its grip it will stab you in the back.
I said it before and I say it again: big rims are for our eyes, guys. I love them too. BBS in particular. There is nothing wrong with that.
I drove my Z thousands of miles in the snow and it is a fantastic car. Superb balance, roll control, stiff chassis. But it is more a Grand Touring car than a race car. If you want to win races get a Caterham. It weights 1200 lbs and has...yes, small wheels / tires. It can run circles around 600 hp nitrus Z or anything else for that matter. Have you guys seen Ariel Atom? 1000 lbs, 300 hp....0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds...The only car able to beat $ 50 000 Atom was Ferrari Enzo Ferrari ( love that name )
I'll be glad to send video to anybody who wishes to see its test.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:08 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by aviatorb747
F1 cars ride on 13" high profile tires. So do almost all open wheel series........
treaded tires at that on F1........ they're all bound by rules. No argument with most of your points. 115 h.p. acura bwhahahahaha... There are very few changes that you can make to any "engineered" system without tradeoffs. My tradeoff is a little more weight for a little more grip, a lot less slip angle, and a lot of personalization. If you want to maintain the same chassis balance then you increase tire width the same at all four corners from the stock size. If you want to better balance the chassis, from the stock tendency of understeer, you can increase the front tire size proportionally to the rears. Or you can play with spring rates, sway bars and tire pressures too.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:11 AM

hey, my boy is gonna gimme his stock g35 18" rims..what do you guys think? would it look good? i got a '90 red 300z 2 seater
Old 06-06-2005, 10:49 AM

f1 cars also run massive sidewalls so the tires can last 50 or 60 laps at 200 mph on far more agressive tracks than the roads here. Thats more of the reason for them only running like 17's
Old 06-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by Nycz Z32
hey, my boy is gonna gimme his stock g35 18" rims..what do you guys think? would it look good? i got a '90 red 300z 2 seater
I'd take them...............
Old 06-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Bad Speller

ok i'm lost. Let's say i got 18x10 on back and 18x8 on front. how good or bad woudl that be and what woudl I need to accomplish this set up?
Old 06-07-2005, 05:55 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by bardabe
.......what woudl I need to accomplish this set up?
Widebody? see Milo
Old 06-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
Widebody? see Milo
WIDEBODY??!!!! To run 10's on back and 9 on front?!!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 08:57 PM

It'll be very snug. I believe I have 8.5's in front and 9.5's in rear on mine. I can't remember, but that sounds right.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:39 PM

i have 10s on the rear and 7 on the front, but i have to use spacers to clear the front calipers. But the backs dont stick out all. Its just that when i reach speeds of 60+theres a slight shake in the steering wheel( i dont know why).
Old 06-25-2005, 03:40 PM

You only have 7's on the front? Thing must handle like a dump truck. Why did you choose to go that skinny up front?
Old 06-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
You only have 7's on the front? Thing must handle like a dump truck. Why did you choose to go that skinny up front?
how does a dump truck handle?
Old 06-26-2005, 06:13 PM

Not well,...use your imagination.

Let me put it this way,....Oversteer won't be a problem with Pink's setup. It's setup more like a drag car than a road/street car. It may be fast as long as he doesn't have to turn.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:03 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by bardabe
how does a dump truck handle?
similar to a garbage truck.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:43 PM

yea i didnt do the set up...... the rims came with the car, my fault i have 8in not 7's in the front. It isnt really that bad to take turns on. How wide can u go on the fronts with out getttin new rims
Old 06-29-2005, 07:58 PM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by entropy31
similar to a garbage truck.
**** loadf of boddy roll?

Last edited by Riz Z Speed; 06-30-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:52 PM

hey i have 10s in back and 9s in front and i think it handles like a dream.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:59 PM
Bad Speller

ok I want these whells

18x9 for the front (12mm off set with a 5.5" backspacing)
18x10 for the back (30mm offset with a 6 5/8" backspacing)

will they fit my car. and most importantly will tehy rub?

Quick Reply: staggered wheels a must on a tt?