300ZX (Z32) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis for the 90-96 300ZX

Help me decide on my rims!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:37 AM
Registered Drifter

Help me decide on my rims!

I have it narrowed down to 3 choices

Hyper Black Rota P45R's 18x9.5 +25mm Offset

Bronze P45R's 18x9.5 +25mm Offset

MB Battles Bronze 18x9.5 +15 or +23 Offset (probably +15)

I've wanted bronze wheels on my Z since I got it but the hyper blacks intrigue me

Pic of my Z for you to think about

Thanks Tim

Last edited by The_MuffinMan25; 03-27-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Über User

i dont think bronze will mix with green, though i love bronze color'd rims myself so i know the temptation. lol. go with the first ones. that or the battles but not in bronze, i just dont see it working with green at all.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered Drifter

Sweet they make the P45R's in a +12mm Offset <----Why does the drool emoticon look creepy and not like a smiley face drooling???? haha
Old 03-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

What are you going to do with rims? Weld the rest of your wheels onto them?

Oh, you mean you're looking for a set of entire WHEELS... ok...

Of the ones you've posted, go with the first.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Registered Drifter

and he lives!!!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 02:06 AM

The hyper blacks would be way cooler as long as you buy 4 of them , I personally don't like the bronzed look at all but thats just me.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:14 AM
Über User

really randy? thats it? no spiel on rota's? lol
Old 03-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Tough Guy

first set
Old 03-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

dig the first one
Old 03-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
really randy? thats it? no spiel on rota's? lol
He says it's "narrowed down to three choices" and they're all cheap crap-wheels from what I can tell (two Rota's and a brand I've never heard of), so I'm guessing he doesn't have money for actual quality and that's why I said "of the ones you've posted...". In which case, I'd say keep what he has because he's not getting any improvement with wheels most commonly found on Civics and Neons, but I ultimately don't care anymore. lol

If people want to take a classy car like the Z32 and make it cheap by putting cheap parts on it, that'll just decrease the Z's market value... which is favorable for me when I'm looking for another Z in a year. Then I can pick up a Z for nearly nothing and put some quality billet/forged wheels on it.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 03-28-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:27 AM

I have ADR cypher's on my 300zx staggard set up 18x9.5 in the back and 18x8 in the front 215/4018
back 265/4018 in the back
Old 03-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Tough Guy

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
He says it's "narrowed down to three choices" and they're all cheap crap-wheels from what I can tell (two Rota's and a brand I've never heard of), so I'm guessing he doesn't have money for actual quality and that's why I said "of the ones you've posted...". In which case, I'd say keep what he has because he's not getting any improvement with wheels most commonly found on Civics and Neons, but I ultimately don't care anymore. lol

If people want to take a classy car like the Z32 and make it cheap by putting cheap parts on it, that'll just decrease the Z's market value... which is favorable for me when I'm looking for another Z in a year. Then I can pick up a Z for nearly nothing and put some quality billet/forged wheels on it.

slick top on craigslist, 108 k, needs a clutch, 2 grand.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:48 PM
F5 Hero

haha you beat me to it! I hate when people say rims.... I commonly correct people around me for doing it.

And I agree, of the ones he posted, the top ones....
Old 03-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Registered Drifter

Zlover I dont care if those wheels you have on your Z cost you $3,000 and are made by the most prestigious wheel company in the world or if they are some ultra rare JDM wheels (which I doubt you would care about) I obviously am not taking the time to lookup what those wheels really are (because I could are less) but your wheel choice has "cheapened" your Z. They look like something better suited for a vehicle from the 70's or 80's. Sorry I can't afford something more expensive like Nismo LMGT4's which these wheels share a design with. Or that I don't have the money to buy some lightweight wheels like Rays or something. I'm 20 years old work fulltime, don't live @ home, and go to school. I'm just trying to make my Z look nicer since I've been wanting a set of new wheels for it and need a new set of tires (the stock rear tire size seems very hard to find, friends shop and tire rack doesn't have them...???) Plenty of ppl agree with me that those Rota's are a nice looking wheel. Also I'd love to see a picture of a Civic or a Neon with Rota P45R's on it...plz waste yor time and find some pics of this "common" wheel choice for them. I've never seen one of those vehicles with these wheels. Also why insult Civics and Neons??? Doesn't make you sound cooler to people on this forum.

Rant over

Last edited by The_MuffinMan25; 03-29-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Obsessive Craigslist Disorder

try these tires they have great lateral grip!!!!
ohh there fairly cheap too
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0
Old 03-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by The_MuffinMan25
Zlover I dont care if those wheels you have on your Z cost you $3,000 and are made by the most prestigious wheel company in the world or if they are some ultra rare JDM wheels (which I doubt you would care about) I obviously am not taking the time to lookup what those wheels really are (because I could are less) but your wheel choice has "cheapened" your Z. They look like something better suited for a vehicle from the 70's or 80's. Sorry I can't afford something more expensive like Nismo LMGT4's which these wheels share a design with. Or that I don't have the money to buy some lightweight wheels like Rays or something. I'm 20 years old work fulltime, don't live @ home, and go to school. I'm just trying to make my Z look nicer since I've been wanting a set of new wheels for it and need a new set of tires (the stock rear tire size seems very hard to find, friends shop and tire rack doesn't have them...???) Plenty of ppl agree with me that those Rota's are a nice looking wheel. Also I'd love to see a picture of a Civic or a Neon with Rota P45R's on it...plz waste yor time and find some pics of this "common" wheel choice for them. I've never seen one of those vehicles with these wheels. Also why insult Civics and Neons??? Doesn't make you sound cooler to people on this forum.

Rant over
To not care about the quality of the parts you're putting on your car makes you one thing... a ricer. And while that specific model may not be common, Rotas are cheap wheels. Cheap wheels belong on (and are most commonly found on) cheap cars.

My wheels are Stillen, designed by Boyd Coddington. They are 17", much wider than stock, and lighter than stock... they were designed for performance and as such, I can take them to the track and *not* have them break on me. For you to think that I care what you think (being a young aspiring ricer) shows that you really don't know anything about me. But clearly you care about my opinion, else a) you wouldn't have asked where I was in the other thread b) wouldn't have gotten pissy when I kicked sand into your ever-so-large vagina. I'd rather have a set of ugly but quality wheels that are beneficial to the car's performance than some cheap knock-offs like Rotas.

Enjoy bastardizing your Z with crap parts.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 03-29-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Pr0n Addict

word. it doesn't really matter what his ^^ wheels looks like. the argument is about quality.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:32 PM
F5 Hero

if you want wheels, save and get a quality set. I know I may sound hypocritcal saying that with ADR wheels, but then again, I got a deal that I couldn't pass up. $500 for the whole set brand new... shop around, find some quality wheels, if you look hard enough, you will find a deal.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 AM

^^^^
^^^^
^^^^

Wow. I didn't think ZLover's wheels were ugly, just the color
I'm kidding they look good.

Anyway, cheap parts cheapen a Z. That's why every part on it is so GOD DAMN EXPENSIVE.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Registered Drifter

Fine you guys win (My dear Jade aswell) I'm buying new tires and saving for NICE wheels....I guess I'll be a smart consumer
Old 04-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

rims is a slang term for wheels... kinda like wing is a slang term for spoiler in some strange universe

i say go for gold... imo gold looks good with dark green
Old 04-11-2009, 03:01 PM

...I'm just trying to make my Z look nicer since I've been wanting a set of new wheels for it and need a new set of tires (the stock rear tire size seems very hard to find, friends shop and tire rack doesn't have them...???) ...
Rant over
The stock rear is 245/45/16 and I just checked The Rack and they show 3 choices (UHP/Summer) - Hankook Ventus R-S2 ($98), Fuzion ZRi ($91) and the Sumitomo HTR Z ($65). The Hankook, I don't know much about. I had the Fuzion on my Z31 and didn't care much for its narrow look. I have the Smutomos on my Z32 and though they's not great at the limit, they do the job quite well - and aren't that costly. Continentals Conti SportContact also comes in that size as well as the Yokohama AVS ES100. I've driven the Yokos - very good but wear fast.

Last edited by Darkmann; 04-11-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:25 PM

Fine you guys win (My dear Jade aswell) I'm buying new tires and saving for NICE wheels....I guess I'll be a smart consumer
You give up pretty easily. Yes you want to have quality wheels on the car, but the question about wheels or rims is very personal, and besides, it's your money and your car! How much is a good enough price for a quality set of rims? I don't know. I'm spending over $2K for a set of SSRs simply because I like them. So, get whatever wheel you like for the car. ZLover, I fail to see how a set of wheels on a riced out Honda will make a Z look cheap if similar set is applied to the Z. I think it really all depends on how the entire thing - wheel, tire, offset - is put together. The only rims that make any vehicle look horrible are chromed wheels. Add spinners and they vehicle looks really cheap.

So, get the rims you can afford and that will make you feel happy - like the first one most people suggested. I don't care for it, but that's me. Now, where you really need advice is the offset and what tire to put on it to make it look great. Post back after you decide on the wheel, or is it rim?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Registered Drifter

My offset will be purchased as +25mm or +30mm and I will more than likely push for +15mm offset with spacers. I'm going to worry about wheels last since coilovers and power adders will give me more pleasure (tho the ladies I'm sure would appreciate the look of new wheels...)
Old 04-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Usedta be Justin260z

I like the Rota p45-r's. But $900+ for Rotas??? Come on, you can find a set of used Work wheels for that much.

Quick Reply: Help me decide on my rims!