300ZX (Z32) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis for the 90-96 300ZX

brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 12:07 PM
caught the z fever

brake problem

my front brakes are really easy to lock up, or at least one of them is, under pretty hard breaking.
yesterday, i tried power breaking my car, and it didnt even work, i just kept rolling. i dont think they were locked up then tho.
i checked the front pads, and one on each side is cracked, but they all have enough pad to last a bit longer. and on the outside of the pads there is a rim from where they didnt touch the rotors, is that supposed to happen?
im also looking into getting some new rotors, calipers, and pads. are there any types that are prefferred over the other??
i plan on getting the rotors off ebay
Old 09-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Doesn't your car have antilock brakes? Cracked pads? eewww. Brembos

I don't think they're supposed to lock up are they? I wouldn't be driving with cracked pads. That's a sign of alot of heat in the past, or really bad rotors. I'm really leary of aftermarket rotors. Some that I have had warp right away, I'd re-turn them and they'd warp again, and again. I think factory rotors are the best, except for ford. If you have enough meat to re-turn your stock rotors again, I'd do that.

I've seen the Brembo drilled/slotted rotors on ebay for like $240 for front and rear. I've also seen the Brembo blanks for like $45 each on ebay. Again, if not oem, go with a name brand.

That's my four rotors worth.

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 09-16-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:41 PM

What does Dad say? You may want to get some stainless steel brake lines and flush the brake fluid.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:28 PM

ehh... cracked pads? i would just change them man, its not worth taking hte chance, u know.... umm... if you do an upgrade... i would go w/ some brebo brakes.... i must say, they are the man... and they stop you pretty fast... another good set is teh AEM big break system... i have a couple friends that have the, and they work awsome.... they never stop doing their job.... haha, stupid joke... anyway.... when i slamn on my brakes... my wheels never lock up... i dont think its suppost to happen... oh... your pads shold touch all the way around.... if you wanna save some money, i would have the stock rotors re-turned, and do a new set of pads.... but if u want to, go for the brembos, they will do an awsome job, and look hott too.... good luck w/ whatever u do tho... later -dan
Old 09-17-2004, 06:42 AM

get some brembos and change the lines and fluid. and some pads... u can get Axis pad front and read for like $100 off ebay, and rotors for about $230 and some lines for about i think another $100 or so and some nice fluid for about $60 and you will be suprised how much better your breaks will feel
Old 09-17-2004, 11:58 AM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
What does Dad say?
haha, well actually, hes the one who wants to replace some of the stuff, but if you couldnt guess, not the rotors tho. new calipers and pads and hopefully steel brake lines in the next 2 weeks. ill paint the calipers red too,
rotors will have to come up somehow. which ones are the best on ebay, i dont know wether to believe that they are all brembo or not. since im at school right now , i cant get on ebay, so ill post the link of the ones i am lookin at getting later

z_wrecker, were you holding down the break petal when the gas petal "got stuck" going through that intersection, thus creating a lot of white smoke and screeching...and an angry cop
jkjk
Old 09-17-2004, 03:53 PM

I don't get it. Shocks, but no springs,....brake pads, but no rotors. What's next? Wheels, but no tires,...clutch, but no flywheel,.....oil, but no filter. Where's the logic? Some things just go hand and hand.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:20 PM

change the rotors and keep the calipers...it's cheaper
Old 09-17-2004, 05:09 PM
caught the z fever

nah im doin all of it
my dad is gonna pay for the calipers and pads, so i might as well
oh and 91, i have a lightweight flywheel that hasnt been put in, and who knows if that will happen too. but my dad suggested, and im pushing for a clutch rebuild, so that will go in then
Old 09-17-2004, 06:42 PM

I was being sarcastic. Go figure, huh.

The calipers won't make much of a difference unless you get some huge ones. You'd notice a big difference with pads and rotors.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:02 AM
caught the z fever

ok, i went out and shopped around for my brake parts swap.
heres what im looking at getting
rotors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...923991226&rd=1
pads:hawk hps
http://www.splparts.com/Parts/Nissan...rakes/Pads.asp
brake lines:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW
how does that look?????

but i cant find any place that sells calipers. does anyone know a place?
Old 10-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Jack Of All Trades

I'm gonna give those rotors a try too. My only concern is that, I'm betting that the seller is buying the Brembo blanks and the throwing them onto a CNC and doing the drilling and slotting, so I wonder how well balanced they'll be. If they vibrate when you put them on, you need to send them back.

I just noticed this week that my front rotors have some heat cracks that weren't there three months ago.

I'm going to go with the Axxis Metallic pads, they're $52.

Can't go wrong with the brake hoses.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Dan's the Man

AMZ has a complete rotor, SS line package for $400 Pads sold seperately).

It's a bit more than buying from ebay but you know they will stand behind their product.
Trade off...savings vs. confidence.

Here's the link...
http://www.amzperformance.com/z32/?p...da2d0d9f932df&
Old 10-03-2004, 03:07 PM
caught the z fever

yea canyon_carver, thats what i am afraid of... or even worse, they just took some cheap rotors and stuck them in a brembo box.
i tried to look carefully through all of the rotors on there to make sure i wont lose my money or get stuck with plastic rotors. i dont think these ones would be too bad tho

all i know is i need some new stuff now before the winter comes
Old 10-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Jack Of All Trades

I believe they're real brembos, I've seen the blanks for sale elsewhere.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:39 AM
caught the z fever

well, ive got big news...especially for 91.
my dad said he would let me get new rotors. hells ya
but i found some new rotors on ebay, and the seller said that he could look for and hopefully hook me up with a rotor, caliper, and ss brake line package
Old 10-04-2004, 03:27 PM

Glad to see he's coming around. Use my current smog headache as an example.....just because everything seems right, it doesn't mean that it is. Damn, I guess I am getting older. I think I may have learned something from this. I hate it when that happens.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:09 PM
caught the z fever

that guy is gonna give me a deal 309 for all 4 brembo rotors and for the brake lines. but he doesnt have any calibers?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?where are they at?!?!?!?!!

see i told ya 91, theres no avoiding it
Old 10-05-2004, 02:20 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

Is there something actually wrong with your stock calipers?
Although possible, I don't see the stock calipers going bad without some serious track like abuse.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:38 AM

Your stock calipers should be fine.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:55 AM
caught the z fever

im just going by 91s reason.
if theres nothing wrong with it now, there probably will be when its back together
...something like that

no my dad gave me a speach about how the pistons or something could get stuck, therefore making the pads rub ecessively on the rotors....stuff like that...why does it matter if he's paying for them anyway?? then i could get them clean and paint them all sparkly red.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:28 PM

You know, I can't argue with that logic; especially when soneone else is paying for it.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Ruined By Spudz

timeout- are they just new rotors like OEM but Brembo?? they larger or slotted or drilled or something all fancy..you may have said it already but I'm to lazy to go back in the thread
Old 10-07-2004, 12:55 AM

well if he is getting brembo calipers, then they are bigger, but if he is just getting rotors and SS lines, then they are OEM size, but either slotted or driller ( or both ), and yes they would be brembo either way
Old 10-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Ruined By Spudz

I think I read a thread on this..but is it rumored that drilled rotors crack when they get wet? because if so I would rather go with slotted or maybe dimpled

Quick Reply: brake problem