300ZX (Z32) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis for the 90-96 300ZX

Big Break Kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:36 AM

Big Break Kits

ok boyz i have an oppertunity toget both the BREMBO GRAND TURISMO KIT which is a 13.25 inch rotor and a 4 piston caliper. I can also get the AP BIG BREAK KIT which comes in 11, 12, 13 and 14 inch rotor and is a 6 piston caliper..

I CAN BOTH AT COST PRICES FOR ANYTHING FROM BREMBO AND KVR (KINETIC VELOCITY REDUCTION) who make the AP Brake LINE..

WHAT DO YOU GUYS SUGGEST.. anyone have experience with any of these products
Old 03-01-2005, 10:55 AM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by 1SIKZ

I CAN BOTH AT COST PRICES FOR ANYTHING FROM BREMBO AND KVR (KINETIC VELOCITY REDUCTION) who make the AP Brake LINE..
what does that mean?

can you get us some too by any chance?

whats the price difference from the 4 piston to 6 piston caliper?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:08 PM

Ill have the exact prices with regards to rotor sizes by the end of teh week.. Yes its a possiblity to get extras.. The more i buy the better. I live in ontario soo id have to ship them to you.. but ill keep u informed
Old 03-01-2005, 01:37 PM
S13 or Z32?....decisions, decisions.

Seriously man, if you could get some more information on that I'd really consider buying em if the price was right. I NEED a better brake system, ive got the puny '90 size OEM rotors on my car still and they squeal like a banshee.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Dan's the Man

A possible deal on Z parts....in Canada...from a fellow Canuck?
Who'da thunk it! Keep us informed, please!
Old 03-01-2005, 03:22 PM

I WILL FOR SURE THE MORE I BUY THE MORE I GET BETTER PRICES .. alothough i can't beat cost price.. ill keep u guys informed
Old 03-01-2005, 06:24 PM

If $ isn't an option, then go with 14" AP's and the 6 piston calipers. Are your whells large enough to hold those?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:53 AM

i think so. Im looking at getting a set of SF Challenges made by Volks Racing (AKA RAYS ENGINEERING) Ill double check on that though
Old 03-03-2005, 11:27 AM

I heard that brembo made the oem brake calipers for the nissan 300zx.. Is this true? What are the stock brakes anyways?? 2 piston or 4??
Old 03-03-2005, 05:02 PM
caught the z fever

i think sumitomo makes them....not sure, but ive only been able to find calipers for the z for sale at like 2 places.

they are 4 piston.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Bad Speller

yeah OEM are 4piston on front and 2 on back.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by b300z
i think sumitomo makes them.....
I seem to remember aisan or something like that when I did my brakes.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:15 PM

b300z is right..sumitomo does make the Nissan brakes. I know cause i just got done painting my calipers

Brembo does make a big brake kit for the Z. but its like 3000 for just the front and like 2500 for the rear. I want them of course..but cannot afford them anytime soon
Old 03-23-2005, 09:56 PM
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Fan

From what I hear, Stoptechs are excellent brake upgrades. About $2k for front, $2k for rear.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:53 PM
caught the z fever

i want wilwood
but they have soo many different parts and prices, i just quit looking
Old 03-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Originally Posted by b300z
i want wilwood
That's the way I'd go for BIG brakes.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:26 AM

does it really matter though?? Once you throw on a 6 piston caliper and nice 13" rotor You will have more than enough stopping power.. After that we are all paying for the name .. Actually COMING FROM THE AUTOMOTIVE DESIGN INDUSTRY.. alot of the time your paying for all the designing and testing .. more design work gone into the product. the more it will cost in the end..... but at the same time you have a better guarintee .... Whichever. i will personally probably pick up either the brembos or AP Big Brakes.. Id get Wilwood too but, ya i done now
Old 03-31-2005, 11:59 AM
Jack Of All Trades

I know Wilwoods are race proven. I've seen lots of them glowing red on the saturday short track races. Never seen any warpage or heat cracking. The only failures I've seen were after the car hit a wall.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by 1SIKZ
Actually COMING FROM THE AUTOMOTIVE DESIGN INDUSTRY..
You were (are) in the automotive design industry??? I m am senior in high school and thats what i am shooting for as a career. What major did u take in college? As of right now I am shooting for a Major in mechanical engineering at Southern Polytech State University here in Ga? Is that a good route?
Old 04-07-2005, 10:18 AM

The only problem with the big break kits is the fact that u will reach a point where u will supersede the ABS system. You will begin having a problem where u will out break your tires and they will no longer be effective. I wonder, (LIKE ANY OTHER ASPEC OF TUNING A CAR) where the line is of what is too much and what is actually needed?

What about the rotational weight? Acceleration? i know somethings have to be lost in order to gain others. Lose acceleration to gain stopping power.

?????????????? Cost is my biggest deterant. I m not sure if 2 grand is worth it.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Fan

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
The only problem with the big break kits is the fact that u will reach a point where u will supersede the ABS system. You will begin having a problem where u will out break your tires and they will no longer be effective. I wonder, (LIKE ANY OTHER ASPEC OF TUNING A CAR) where the line is of what is too much and what is actually needed?

What about the rotational weight? Acceleration? i know somethings have to be lost in order to gain others. Lose acceleration to gain stopping power.

?????????????? Cost is my biggest deterant. I m not sure if 2 grand is worth it.
I think the Stoptechs would be a good choice because they are made for ABS and retain the factory braking balance. I have heard nothing but good about these. When I get ready to do a brake upgrade I will get these for my front brakes and upgraded rotors for the rear. Not sure if buying the full kit would be worth it for $4k. The APs sound sweet as well. http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...0068.53.174.49
Old 04-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Jack Of All Trades

The only problem with the big break kits is the fact that u will reach a point where u will supersede the ABS system. You will begin having a problem where u will out break your tires and they will no longer be effective.
Imho........ If you're actually serious about utilizing the full capabilities of a big brake kit, like on a racetrack, you will be matching the appropriate tire sizes for the bigger brakes and you'd want to disable your abs anyway.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:01 PM

Sorry For The Late Response I Took Mechanical Engineering: Automotive Products Design At Georgian College In Barrie, Ontario.. Great Course. You Don't Get A Degree, Its A Dipolma And Its A 3 Year Course. You Can Then Transfer And Get The Engineering Degree For An Addition 2 Years At University
Old 04-07-2005, 01:07 PM

As of right now I am shooting for a Major in mechanical engineering at Southern Polytech State University here in Ga? Is that a good route?
TO ANSWER UR QUESTION, I WANT TO GET INTO DESIGNING PERFORMANCE CAR PARTS AT STILLEN OR JWT, SOMEWHERE WHERE U CAN TAKE UR IDEAS PUT THEM ON UNIGRAPHICS . PROTOTYPE IT AND TEST IT .. THATS WHAT I REALLY WANT TO DO. I WORK FOR A MAJOR SUPPILER TO MOST OEMS INCLUDING GM, FORD, NISSAN, CHRYSLER, HONDA AND SOMEONE ELSE .. EITHER WAY TRY AND STAY AWAY FROM THE ACTUAL SUPPLIER BASED WORLD. ITS REALLY STRAINING AND STRESSFUL. WORKING FOR AN OEM IS DIFFERENT. ENGINEERING IS A GOOD FIELD, U WILL NEVER BE POOR, ALTHOUGH IF UR NOT HIGH ENOUGH ULL NEVER BE RICH EITHER SOO .. U GOTTA WORK HARD..
Old 04-07-2005, 09:49 PM

Engineering is HELL, i'm taking it right now, and trust me it is one of the more difficult majors. It sounds like its fun but heres my class line up. Chem II, Calc II, Phys I, Comp II. I HATE IT, if you LOVE math and science then go right ahead, but be warned there is endless amounts of work. I'm actually thinking about changing my major to business management, becuase with business you can always find a job and most of them always make money.

Quick Reply: Big Break Kits