300ZX (Z32) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

Stereo layout?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 03:08 PM

Stereo layout?

Can anyone pst a picture of there stereo layout so I can have a good Idea of hat to do for my car?
Old 01-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

The only functional way to do it...

Old 01-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

ummmm.... can I not link pics from streetneeds???? I just tried posting some examples and none of them worked, with the street needs part *****'d out...

look here for more examples
http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...d&msg_id=95126
Old 01-07-2006, 04:22 PM

Hmm... those pictures of the 2+2 boxes are like, exactly what i've designed and been working on building for my car ... thats a steeeeep price tho considering the pricing on material i've looked at I can build them for like around $50.00 for the pair... $175 each
Old 01-07-2006, 04:34 PM

Here is a picture of my audio install in my '92 Nissan 300zx Slick top.

You can also go to my cardomain site and see the rest of my install as well. Including the speakers, head unit, amp, and capacitiors as well.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2216041/1

Last edited by WhtFairLadyZ; 01-07-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:38 PM

And thats a bunch of crap ZLover4Life....I have more functional trunk space than you do. There are many ways to go about setting up a functional sound system.

I do admit i like your approach a heck of a lot better than just a conventional box. I do think it is a good design.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
And thats a bunch of crap ZLover4Life....I have more functional trunk space than you do. There are many ways to go about setting up a functional sound system.

I do admit i like your approach a heck of a lot better than just a conventional box. I do think it is a good design.

So with yours you have given up the spare tire rather than the entire cargo space but you've still had to resign the back seats to perma-stored if I'm seeing it right? That seems alot more reasonable to me, I can't fit much behind my front seats outside of a gallon of milk or a jacket or two anyways
Old 01-08-2006, 01:52 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by Comorat2x2
but you've still had to resign the back seats to perma-stored if I'm seeing it right?
he has a slicktop, i.e., no back seats. only came in non turbo 2 seater manual tranny cloth interior.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:18 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
And thats a bunch of crap ZLover4Life....I have more functional trunk space than you do.

... let's analyze that...

True, you have a little more trunk space...

... we can both fit our t-tops with no problem...

... but I can still haul around my spare tire if I chose to do so...

... and I have an emergency roadside kit under my carpeting, that you couldn't fit....

Therefore, if I ever get a flat, I can do something about it that doesn't require calling someone, and I still have two subs in my hatch. For that reason, I think mine's a little more functional. Yours looks nice though, I just prefer my setup.

Of course, if you don't ever intend to carry a spare tire or emergency roadside kit, then yours might be more functional. But I'd rather sacrifice some hatch space (which I don't use anyway... since the Z32 is a sports car, for liesure, not an SUV) and have my emergency roadside kit and a small electric air compressor hidden in that space than two subwoofers.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:00 PM

To WHTFAIRLADYZ, I have the same amp, What kind of speakers are you running with that amp?
Old 01-08-2006, 03:08 PM

Thanks guys, I'll be doing my system this weekend so then I'll post some Pic's.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:29 PM

With my car I couldnt use the spare tire for two main reasons:
First of all I am running 18" wheels. If I got a flat on the rear end I would have to pull a wheel off the front to put it on the rear. To keep from screwing up the Diff. Then I would have to put the spare on the front end. At that point I would be a real hazard, but granted it would get me off the road.
Second reason..when I purchased my car it was already missing. For some reason the retard that owned already removed the spare, the jacks, and the wheel chocks. I would have to go thru and purchase a resonable ones to replace them with. That is why I opted to just put the stereo in the spare tire compartment.

And true...you can still store your T-tops back there. But that is one feature I do not have to worry about.

Some else I notice about your set up. To remove your interior you have to remove both stereo units and unhook some wires. My system doesnt require me to pull anything out except the floor board like a stock Z would have to do. I also see that you have to pull your boxes out to access the tail light inspection panels.

The biggest thing with this argument is that you said that your design is the "ONLY FUNCTIONAL" way. I m tired of reading on forums where people use absolutes to describe different things. There are many new people to the Z car community and other ones aswell that take what the read to heart for future consideration. I know I have in the past. I think we need to be a little more careful in our word usage. Your idea of the most functional is an opinion...not a fact. Both of our designs have there benefits and draw backs. And yes I do lack a spare tire...that means I just stay prepared financially for the inevitable flat tire.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ZMaster
To WHTFAIRLADYZ, I have the same amp, What kind of speakers are you running with that amp?
I am running the Inifity 3 ways with the tweater that pivots in the middle of the cone. I cannot remember the exact part number. I am running 6.5" in both the front and the back. They sound great, but I would like to get a set with the external tweeters so I can mount them further apart to get a better surround sound effect. Those components run off the 4-channel part. And the 5th channel powers the two 10" JL Audio subs you see in the picture. They are the shortest 10" sub JL sold at the time I purchased them. Right now my car hits arround 138 decibles in the audio competitions.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:22 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

subs look like 10w0's. thats what i have in my z. they are great, not too expensive, not very power hungry, and they arent very loud outside the car but sound great inside, which is where you should want the sound for a car stereo anyways.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by entropy31
subs look like 10w0's. thats what i have in my z. they are great, not too expensive, not very power hungry, and they arent very loud outside the car but sound great inside, which is where you should want the sound for a car stereo anyways.
You are correct, they are 10w0's. And I do prefer it that the bass ans music stay within the car. I do not need any more reason for the local PD to harass me. Noise violation fines are not cheap around here. I would like to try out the new series of subs they sell. THey have the 10w1 series that is shallower and requires less airspace. I would like to see how theey would sound in my car.

The biggest advantage that needs to be taken with these cars is the hatch. You will get a better sound and more BASS by firing the sound from the subs off the back hatch glass. I car hear a difference between my set up and my buddy's conventional box who has his sub firing towards the dash board. Many audio shops have aslo stated that this is the ideal setup for these types of cars.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:52 AM

Here's my setup.
Don't mind the dirty car, lol.
I have covers to put on top that are wrapped in black vinyl to match the rest of the interior of the trunk.
How do you guys get the picture right in your post? Im not so good with HTML.
Attached Thumbnails Stereo layout?-100_1495.jpg   Stereo layout?-100_1494.jpg  
Old 01-09-2006, 10:22 AM

You have to have an account with a web site like PHOTOBUCKET.com. You up load your pictures there and it will give you a link you can paste into the message box. When you do this the picture will appear on the screen when you hit POST. Using photobucket is fairly simple and it is free.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:23 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

wow
i have this huge box that allows no exra space lol.
but my sound is awesome, i'm not complaining.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by entropy31
he has a slicktop, i.e., no back seats. only came in non turbo 2 seater manual tranny cloth interior.
Ahh...that would explain it.