300ZX (Z32) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

new paint, new body

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 10:31 PM
caught the z fever

new paint, new body

i am finally gonna get started on repainting my car. my dad and i just got a new sandblaster to strip the paint today, and a couple bags of sand. i cant wait to get started, but its gonna take a while, and the worst part...im still gonna have to drive it sometimes, which means that the body parts are not gonna match too well...
anyways, i am looking for some inspiration or suggestions or feedback on what kind/color of paint i should use, and what body parts look good...i know i am getting the 99 front facia and the 99 wing(since i found it for less than 800 bucks)
but as far as side skirts and rear bumper, im unsure
plus i want my z to look different, but keep it away from rice...thats why i need your guys' feedback on this....hood/front quarters

, and something for the rear quarters too,
ricey??????

Last edited by b300z; 05-31-2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:15 AM
Jack Of All Trades

be VERY careful sandblasting your body panels if that's what you plan. Nasty things can happen when you work harden one side of a piece of sheet metal.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:20 AM

I'm assuming your plans are to keep this car indefinitely. If that's the case, then you're going to want to make sure that these are the body pieces you want to have forever. I had the Stillen nose put on about 4 years ago. I wish I had've known about the JDM when I did that. You said that you want to stay away from rice. IMO, unless you have a car that can eat your competition's lunch, then you should stay away from that stay hood and fenders. I actually do like how they look, but I think it could border on rice without a beast under the hood. How soon before you'll do your swap? Also, since it looks like you aren't going to leave many OEM body panels. why use a sandblaster? Just use an air driven orbital sander and then finish it with wet/dry sandpaper by hand. As Canyon mentioned, I've heard of bad things happening with a sand blaster. Plus, it makes a mess. IMO, go with the JDM nose and wing. Of the door fillers that I've seen, I think Stillen actually has the best looking ones. They're not too aggressive or ricey. They make a subtle statement. Good luck. If you're really going to do this, why not do it right and go with the widebody kit?
Old 10-16-2004, 06:35 PM
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Fan

I say just get the 99 front and wing. Im getting a 99 front and paint job also. I think it would look better w/o sideskirts and rear valence. It looks much cleaner IMO but do what you think would look good.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:51 PM

i like the wings west sides and rear... no fenders please... those things look nice, but you want your Z to look sexy and nicely put together, not to look like you bought all the aftermarket panels and put them on, just so you have them....to me thats rice.... get a nice nose and front bumper...subtle rear and sides+ those nice rims you have been eyeing and your car will look super sweet... you don't need an 8" carbon fiver wing to get noticed... just make a clean looking ride.... painted in laguna seca blue... MMMMMMM
Old 10-17-2004, 07:06 AM
Dan's the Man

b...are you and you're dad going to paint the car yourselves as well or take it to a shop?

I agree with ZXDude90 for the set up (That's what I will be doing anyway). I will be looking into having the OEM sides and rear shaved down. The 99 side skirts are very nice but damn they are expensive as heck ($1000+) and I believe were only made for the 2+2.

Colour is a matter of choice (I prefer the blue's) and would suggest using the same advice everyone else has had in this thread i.e. not ricey (not lime green, no SS stripes).

Good luck, sounds like its going to look real sweet when it's done.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:34 PM
Ruined By Spudz

IMO, I personally like the Wings West kit. It flows with the body lines of the Z nicely and you gotta love how it incases the exhaust tips . For body color, I was going to go with a House of Kolor Black Cherry, or I was gunna go with this Flamingo Black Pearl that looks like it has different depths of black..very sexy . But I'm sure your car will come together and not look ricey as long as you stay away from the Invader series...ewwwww
Old 10-17-2004, 07:14 PM

i agree w/ everyone also.... i would go for sleek lines.... nothing ricey like z3 fenders... please!!! just make it sleek, and clean, and people will look at you left, right, back, forward, upsidedown, whatever... they will be looking tho
Old 10-17-2004, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by DanZ32
b...are you and you're dad going to paint the car yourselves as well or take it to a shop?

I agree with ZXDude90 for the set up (That's what I will be doing anyway). I will be looking into having the OEM sides and rear shaved down. The 99 side skirts are very nice but damn they are expensive as heck ($1000+) and I believe were only made for the 2+2.

Colour is a matter of choice (I prefer the blue's) and would suggest using the same advice everyone else has had in this thread i.e. not ricey (not lime green, no SS stripes).

Good luck, sounds like its going to look real sweet when it's done.
Are you planning on sanding your rock guard also? Im getting a quote on paint and having mine sanded down. I heard that it's a putty like substance on the sides but it's molded on the rear. Let me know how yours turns out. Nice avatar by the way. Family guy kicks @$$!
Old 10-18-2004, 06:14 AM
Dan's the Man

Originally Posted by ZXDude90
Are you planning on sanding your rock guard also? Im getting a quote on paint and having mine sanded down. I heard that it's a putty like substance on the sides but it's molded on the rear. Let me know how yours turns out. Nice avatar by the way. Family guy kicks @$$!
That would be the plan but I am in no rush at this point. Still some other things I would like to do before I get to the body (headers, high flow cats, cat back, 1pc driveshaft, ECU, suspension, brake upgrade, and I am starting to suspect the dreaded rear main oil seal).

Yeh, Stewie cracks me up..."quick, lets get outta here before he decides to bend a fresh biscuit right on the conveyer belt"
Old 10-18-2004, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by DanZ32
That would be the plan but I am in no rush at this point. Still some other things I would like to do before I get to the body (headers, high flow cats, cat back, 1pc driveshaft, ECU, suspension, brake upgrade, and I am starting to suspect the dreaded rear main oil seal).

Yeh, Stewie cracks me up..."quick, lets get outta here before he decides to bend a fresh biscuit right on the conveyer belt"
That's the way to go, performance first, body second. Im waiting for my stillen intercoolers to come in. I hope I wont have to trim too much off of the ducts to get it to fit with the 99.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:33 AM
Dan's the Man

Wait. This is b300z's thread. Sorry b.
Have you decided on a colour and body kit yet?
Old 10-18-2004, 11:37 AM

oops! Sorry bro. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:48 AM
caught the z fever

sandblasting.......the reason why my dad and i are sandblasting is because he has sandblasted a whole car before.

i am definately going with the 99 front and wing. but i dont think that i will be able to get a new nose piece(dad) and because weve already started sandblasting that...dam it takes forever

explain to me what fillers are for compared to side skirts
yea i like the wings west side skirts, but where can i get them separate, i dont really like the rear
stillen ones are pretty good, subtle, along with the rear, type 3 rocker, gtz rear

91, i would get the widebody if it wasnt like 3000 bucks
Old 10-18-2004, 11:50 AM
caught the z fever

those quarters and hood would be too much for me anyway, since you would have to call to find out how much they would cost.

as far as paint...i havent decided yet
either something blue, dark metallic flake blue
or black with metallic blue flake in it
Old 10-18-2004, 11:57 AM

Door fillers just fill the area above the sideskirts. Stillen is having a group buy on body kit parts BTW. I think you have to get the whole kit though to get the discount.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:35 PM

Get some wings west sides...they are urethane, and they look good+ they will flow nicely with the 99 front bumper
Old 10-18-2004, 06:08 PM
Ruined By Spudz

From what I hear, Wings West is a pretty much guaranteed exact-o fit-o. Not much trimming or molding of any kind.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:10 PM
caught the z fever

where can i get wings west side skirts separately
Old 10-19-2004, 04:30 PM
Ruined By Spudz

Mmm, I'm not sure if you can. I know WingsWest.com sells the complete kit, but I'm not too sure if you can find anywhere that just sells the side skirts.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Dan's the Man

WingsWest.com shows that you can buy the side skirts seperately.
Part numbers 890683L (left), 890683R (right).
Old 10-19-2004, 04:58 PM

ebay...dudes id is isluggersteve or something like that... he sell is i'll get you his id later tonight
Old 10-19-2004, 07:47 PM
caught the z fever

whats up with this?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????
i went back to amzperformance to show my dad that JDM wing and the price went up to 800 bucks....i knew it was too good to be true to begin with
Old 10-21-2004, 07:00 PM
caught the z fever

z-did you find the id for that guy?
and does anyone know why that price jumped up??
i guess im gonna have to go with the stock 94+ wing, still got, but not as good
Old 10-21-2004, 07:16 PM
Dan's the Man

Try these guys. Its a replica wing but the price is right.

http://www.ionicdynamics.com/300zxnew2.html

Quick Reply: new paint, new body