300ZX (Z32) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

Installation of Urethane Front Body Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 11:51 AM

Installation of Urethane Front Body Kit

I recently bought a Greddy urethane front body kit for my '90 Z32. I have removed the old bumper and noticed that the Greddy front body kit was significantly wider. Do you heat it with a heat gun and mold it to the body, or do you notch it? I have attached a pic for your better understanding of what I am talking about. I am sure that there is someone out there that has already gone through this.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Installation of Urethane Front Body Kit-greddy01.jpg  

Last edited by KevinH; 10-15-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

heat gun or install it on a hot day. Since it's urethane, it'll bend somewhat easily so just force it to where it needs to go. The fascia simply stretched out in the packaging while it was shipped, no big deal.

but just so you know it's not an actual GReddy fascia... it's a knockoff. The real GReddy Gracer is fiberglass. Being a knockoff, I don't know how well you're going to be able to get it to fit even being fiberglass (3zc people said it fit ok, I'm just warning you)
Old 10-15-2005, 12:50 PM

Not a Greddy

I realize that it is not a Greddy. Its actually a KSR in the Greddy style. I thought that Greddy offered both a urethane and fiberglass version?
Thanks for the info on the urethane!
Old 10-16-2005, 12:32 PM

Next Question?

I've got the Greddy style urethane bumper installed on the front of the car, but the outter 2 skid pans (plastic ones that go into the wheel wells) don't come close to the bottom lip of the new Greddy style front body kit. What do you guys do in this case? Does someone make the replacements to fit? Or did you splice some plastic in with the old skid pans?
Thanks!
Old 10-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

just leave it... it won't hurt anything (that's what I do in your situation)
Old 10-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Kevin, I've been thinking about one of those. Let me know what you end up doing and your overall thoughts. After it's all said and done, would you buy it again?
Old 10-16-2005, 05:08 PM

Leave it?

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
just leave it... it won't hurt anything (that's what I do in your situation)
That is not an option. I would have to leave the fender well skirts that are part of the left & right hand skid pans out all together. I am going to splice some clear plastic pieces that I have in and use silicone to seal them together. I bought some clover pierced sheet metal from Lowes today. I am covering the openings with the sheet metal so that I don't have to worry about anything being thrown up into the condenser and fan. I am going to cover the outside openings as well with the same material. I am thinking of going with FI series fiberglass fenders envidently. If I go with the F1 series fenders, I am going to duct the outside openings in the Greddy front body kit to the fender wells so that I can funnel air pass the brake rotors for better cooling.
I will let you know how I make out, and what I ultimately end up doing.
Thanks!

Last edited by KevinH; 10-17-2005 at 05:26 AM.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Silvered Hawaiian

when i had my wings west front, i just screwed the fender linings right on the bumper. it didnt line up 100% but it looked okay to me.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:34 AM

Mine's different situation

Originally Posted by KENZ
when i had my wings west front, i just screwed the fender linings right on the bumper. it didnt line up 100% but it looked okay to me.
The fender well / skid pans do not make contact with the bottom lip of the Greddy style urethane front body kit. I need to splice something in between the two.
I installed the rest of the expanded metal in the front openings of the Greddy body kit last night to protect the condenser fan etc. from road debris. I need to do some work on my headlight assy.'s, since I have them out (not necessary to do the front end change, but easy access to remove, so - I took advanage of the opportunity). Progress is slow, since I have to work for a living! <LOL>
Old 10-24-2005, 03:07 PM

Update!

I have installed the Greddy style urethane front body kit. I am posting a before and after shot. I have yet to prep and install the BOMEX front facial. I want to route out the openings in the facial and install the same type of screening / mesh as I did in the body kit's openings. I used some clear plastic to splice into the plastic skirts to make up the difference with the new body kit. I sealed the extra plastic into the old skirts using silicone and then pop-riveting them together. I installed new clips around the perimeter of the new body kit to tie in the modified skirts for ease or removal when needed. I got the new carbon fiber hood in today. It looks awesome. I think that I will have the car painted with the stock hood so that it matches, then install the CF hood. I haven't made up my mind if I should have the body kit painted black or simulated CF to match the hood or not. I am thinking of having the car painted pearl white (white-white) with a blue flake. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Installation of Urethane Front Body Kit-300zx-001.jpg   Installation of Urethane Front Body Kit-my300zx001a.jpg  

Last edited by KevinH; 10-24-2005 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:28 PM
confuzed member

personally, I liked better with the OEM fascia, but the Greddy looks good too (I just prefer OEM over most bodykits). As far as the paint, I have white with blue pearl and it's gorgeous IMO! You won't regret it, but does your car need paint?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:35 PM

Funny U say that

Originally Posted by emo236
personally, I liked better with the OEM fascia, but the Greddy looks good too (I just prefer OEM over most bodykits). As far as the paint, I have white with blue pearl and it's gorgeous IMO! You won't regret it, but does your car need paint?
Obviously the avitar that you use doesn't have the OEM / stock front end on it. Mine does need paint. The front end had been hit. Front left fender and hood was replaced and doesn't quite match. Also there is some slight body damage to the left rear quarter panel that I would like to get fixed. I always loved the pearl white paint job on these cars. I have a '93 NA coupe in pearl white, but it is not a true white, it is an off white. I want this one to be the white-white pearl, which will off-set the CF hood more, and I think that it will look better.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:44 PM
confuzed member

well....that's my old TT, it had the stillen front on it when I bought it. I now have one with an OEM front. Personally, I like the jspec and the stillen lip..... and oem. just my taste. Some kits (like Greddy, stillen, WW, etc) aren't bad and look good, but I just prefer the more stock look. You're getting a CF hood? why? they're not lighter....so it's purely cosmetic....just making sure you know that before you shell out some dough.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:52 PM

CF Hood much lighter than mine

My OEM hood is steel, not Aluminum like on my '93. The one that I am modifying is a '90. I have already bought the CF hood. Delivered today! Believe me - the CF hood is much - much lighter than my stock hood that is on the car currently. You are right though, the CF hood seems to be heavier than the hood on my '93, but I haven't weighed them. Besides, I got a GREAT price on this CF hood. I can't complain. I could not find a stock aluminum hood for what I paid for this CF hood that I got. So I am pleased. And like you say, its all personal taste. I couldn't find a full body fit that I liked. This is why I decided to go with strictly the front end only. Thank goodness that we are not all the same - otherwise - it would be one boring world!

Last edited by KevinH; 10-24-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:33 PM
confuzed member

wow, I dont think I've ever seen a steel hood on a Z. That sucks, a CF hood would be cheaper I imagine. Trust me, you're right on the whole...it'd be a boring world. I mean what woul dbe the point of club meets? At mine, there are soooo many different styles, it's nuts. There is a difference between being different and bastardizing a Z though....what you're doing is tasteful, just not my tastes, which is perfectly fine. I bet your car will look amazing when it's done and I expect tons of pics!
Old 10-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Jack Of All Trades

I think it looks good. Better than the oem "tucked under" look at the bottom. Imho, I think it'll look better if painted body color. I also would prolly pull the bottom sides in to where they're vertical and even.

Kev, would you buy it again?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:28 AM

Steel hood

I don't know if my hood is an aftermarket or not. Like I said before, I know that it was replaced. I also know that it is extremely heavy! If its not steel - someone put some lead in it! <LOL> I can't believe the difference between the weight of my '90's hood verses my '93's hood. Besides, I love the looks of a CF. I just don't want too much CF on it. I want to keep it tasteful.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:40 AM

Yes - I'd do it again!

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
I think it looks good. Better than the oem "tucked under" look at the bottom. Imho, I think it'll look better if painted body color. I also would prolly pull the bottom sides in to where they're vertical and even.

Kev, would you buy it again?
I have a pic of a Z that essentially has this front end body kit with the Bomex center facial that I bought, in white. I posted it below.
I tried to pull in the bottom sides, as you suggested - CanyonCarver, but it bucketted, and looked terrible. It just didn't like it at all! So I left it. Needless to say, I installed the extra screening. The body kit didn't come with it, and I didn't want to leave it open. CanyonCarver - you have to be patient, and anticipate installing and removing it about a dozen times or better to fit it up properly. I can't tell you how many times I had it on and off trying to fit it up properly - but Yes - I'd do it again! I really like it! And that is what counts! This is my toy! <LOL>
Attached Thumbnails Installation of Urethane Front Body Kit-300zxbomexfront4.jpg