300ZX (Z32) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 07:03 PM

Gauges

OK, so we all know that the factory boost gauge sucks.....are any of the other gauges significantly inaccurate? I'm still figuring out which gauges I want to add, but I don't want the dash to be covered in gauges. I guess it's a rice factor I'm concerned about. The triple pod A-pillar is about as far as I want to go. The only location I've seen that would work is a dash cluster located above the center panel heater vents. I think that's too much. Plus I've only seen it sold by Stealin'. I'm obviously adding a vac/boost gauge (-30psi to +20 psi). I think I'll add a voltmeter. I'd like to add a pyrometer, but not sure if I can bring myself to drill into the exhaust manifold. What would you guys add? How about air/fuel mixture? Do you think it's worth adding oil temp? What about a secondary water temp and/or oil pressure? Or, is it that just a bunch of crap and I should just add the boost gauge and say screw it to the rest of it.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:55 PM

whats up man???? i def agree w/ you on just the A piller.... the rice factor jumps into effect big time here.... i would go w/ vac/boost, volt, and air fuel..... those are 3 gauges that will actaully do somehting, becides just be there..... they are all functional, and they will all help you w/ how your car is running.... air/fuel will help u make sure your runnin stoich, and boost will tell you your accurance boost pressure, and volt meter will tell you when your system im drawing too much power(i couldnt think of anything else, lol).... but anway, those are the 3 im gonna probably end up going w/..... do you know what kind of gauges your gonna buy? i saw some crazy looking one that were awsome, i belive blitz makes them... they are black, and they have a blue b/g.... ill try to find the site they are at, and ill post the site if i find it... but anyway, thats my 2 cents, hope it helps
Old 09-29-2004, 10:01 AM

I like how the Autometer Z Series gauges because they look very similar to the stock Z gauges.

check out
www.autometer.com
Old 09-29-2004, 10:26 AM

As far as the air/fuel gauge goes, the z-series gauge works with most factory O2 sensors except for wide band. Are our O2 meters wide band?

http://hp.autometer.com/products/zse...ic_gauges.html

http://hp.autometer.com/products/zse...al_gauges.html
Old 09-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Fan

Originally Posted by 91zxtt
As far as the air/fuel gauge goes, the z-series gauge works with most factory O2 sensors except for wide band. Are our O2 meters wide band?

http://hp.autometer.com/products/zse...ic_gauges.html

http://hp.autometer.com/products/zse...al_gauges.html
I did some searching. Nopes.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Jack Of All Trades

If you ever start playing with higher boost, A AFR gage should be a requirement. It's the last line of defense before engine meltdown. With this, you probably don't need a pyrometer. A pyrometer will generally only show you the results of a lean AFR.

Kinda the same issue with oil temp. A good coolant temp gage will let you know that you're having a problem. To me oil pressure is redundant, you just need to know you have some, if you don't you know it quickly. And if you don't, the lack of pressure is usually caused by a bigger problem. (unless of course, you don't know that you're supposed to check your oil level).

RICEY, or not, I like the A-pillar pod idea. I don't like drilling holes or cutting into a perfectly good dashboard.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
If you ever start playing with higher boost, A AFR gage should be a requirement. It's the last line of defense before engine meltdown. With this, you probably don't need a pyrometer. A pyrometer will generally only show you the results of a lean AFR.

Kinda the same issue with oil temp. A good coolant temp gage will let you know that you're having a problem. To me oil pressure is redundant, you just need to know you have some, if you don't you know it quickly. And if you don't, the lack of pressure is usually caused by a bigger problem. (unless of course, you don't know that you're supposed to check your oil level).

RICEY, or not, I like the A-pillar pod idea. I don't like drilling holes or cutting into a perfectly good dashboard.
Noobish question. I have a dual guage A pillar pod and a boost guage that the guy threw in with the car when I bought it. How does it attatch to the A pillar? There are no clips or anything just the pod and no holes for drilling. He said it came from Stillen and didn't know how to connect it either.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Jack Of All Trades

I don't know for sure myself, don't have one yet. By the looks of it, it might just be held in place by the A pillar molding. I would think that when you get the original piece out, you'll know how the new one goes in.

Check out the Autometer website. They have a two and a three gage pod. They might have a pic.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:33 PM

http://www.progauges.com/_wsn/page2.html

These people sell a triple gauge a-pillar thhat replaces the factory one. Supposedly no cutting or drilling. You can buy a plastic paint to match your interior because these come in black for $50. SGP Racing sells one also, but it's much more $. I saw this pro gauge site adviertised on ebay.

As for your double pillar,...get your drill and 4 screws. That how it's held on.

Canyon-you and I seem to think a lot alike. I think the a-pillar pod looks the best. If I had the A-pillar pod with the dash pod, then that would be too much; hence ricey. Plus, I'd have an issue with gauge redundancy. So, with that, I'm likely going with vac/boost, voltmeter and air/fuel. Someone else asked about which wires on the ECU were for the O2 sensors, but I don't think anyone answered him. Did we ever find that out, because that would be the easiest way to run it instead of trying to splice into the wires at the O2 sensor directly.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Someone else asked about which wires on the ECU were for the O2 sensors, but I don't think anyone answered him.
It would be easiest to run jumpers from the ecu. the FSM shows the appropo wires.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:59 PM

Well now I feel lame. I shoulda know to look on Rizz's link page.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ZXDude90
I did some searching. Nopes.
Just so I'm clear, you're telling me that our O2 sensors are not wide band and I can use them on this car.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:02 PM

Just so I'm clear, you're telling me that our O2 sensors are not wide band and I can use them on this car.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I did a search on tt.net. From what I read our sensors are not wide band. Alot of people there think that an A/F guage is just a "light show" and that an egt guage would be better. People have their own opinions though. They do have alot of useful info there but they like to give people a hard time. I don't know which to get. I would like to get an egt but it would be more of a PITA to install though.

http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg...deband%3a%3ao2
Old 09-29-2004, 08:55 PM

I agreen w/ you guys(canyon and 91zxtt), the A-Piller is the way to go.... i think it looks the cleanest, and it doesnt get in the way, and its definetly the cleanest way to go.....
Old 09-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Ruined By Spudz

I saw a nice gauge pillar on a 300zx featured in HCI...it was the whole assembly and looked very nice..my cousin knows him so I can ask where he got it..
Old 09-30-2004, 05:29 AM
Jack Of All Trades

http://hp.autometer.com/products/mou...ar_import.html

I tend to think that items like this, sold by various different companies, are probably all made in the same factory. I still would go with a name brand because you can usually be assured of the better quality. Besides, I use autometer gages.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:14 AM

With the autometer one you hhave to drill 4 holoes in the a-pillar to mount it; whereas with the one from Pro gauges (according to what I read on ebay) is a direct replacement.

Fairlady-Please let me know where your friend got his. Since I've got a few weeks of work ahead of me, I don't need to buy it immediately.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:00 PM
caught the z fever

z_wrecker could help you out on that when he gets back on here. i got the 3 pod a-pillar and another 3 pod under my cd player.
i personally like the Autometer C2 gauges. i plan on selling mine sometime to get the C2 ones. theyre completely black when the car is off, and are digital with red numbers and such. if anyone is ever interested.

ive got tape holding the swtiches on right now cuz the car store hasnt gotten any more of the red ones in yet. its been like a month too.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:52 PM
Ruined By Spudz

yah thas a good look..I never knew what to fill that spot under the cd player in with and now I know
Old 09-30-2004, 02:24 PM

I have a double din stereo installed, so what you have in that picture won't work in my car. Where'd you get the A-pillar pod? Can you post a picture? Are you happy with how it looks? The location by the stereo isn't the best because you have to look down to see them. I like the A-pillar because it's just a glance over.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:20 PM
caught the z fever

uhh youll have to ask z_wrecker about that. but heres a pic
the gauges are alright, but i want them to have a bit more color to them

thats the best i have right now, i could get you another one this weekend...
why do you have a double din stereo?????i wanna see it
Old 09-30-2004, 08:01 PM
Ruined By Spudz

I see you opted for the blue leather interior kit..where did you order from...price...instalation difficult? I saw a pretty nice kit online but I was wondering from personal experience..
Old 10-01-2004, 10:26 AM

How is that gauge pod attached?

Wrecker-
Where's you buy that thing?
Old 10-01-2004, 11:47 AM
caught the z fever

fairlady- i had it done at a shop locally. it costed me 250 for what you see, and to replace the middle compartment with new black leather, and 100 for each door=450 total. they did a pretty good job on it, except for the beading on the door. some of it is coming off, so i will have to find some other adhesion for it

and 91, i think z_wrecker glued it on. i dont know if there is another way that it is held on there, but he did use some glue
Old 10-04-2004, 07:52 PM

i got the triple pod for like $50 shipped from this gauge place... i have to find their website. the gauges itself were purchased from summit racing. i got this $50 gft cert in mail, and i got some of those gauges. that pillar slides over the stock one and then it screws in at the top... i didn't feel like drilling it so i held it up, used the plastic piece that is there to cover the holes, and used a bit of glue to hold it in firmly... i'll try and find the pod place for you.

Quick Reply: Gauges